Mega Thread Sizzling Summer BBQ Thread!

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Looks like a dry storm is about to pass through our area. My contacts west of me are saying lots of lightning strikes and almost zero rain. Just what we really need here right now. Conditions are almost perfect for a grassfire that will be very hard to contain. Looks like I will be awake into the wee hours on fire watch.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Enter our mid FEB switch...
Upgrade on summer snow 18/19FEB, now including the mainland. EC, CMC, GFS all agree, for now.
GFS the colder of the others. All models going for a cut-off scenario, thanks to a surface trough proceeding the front, over NSW.
2-5cm possible.
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 8.00.17 am.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_aus_31.png

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Working from home in the Upper Yarra, I needed to adjust clothing layers out in the shed....cool 14 deg with light rain showers

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Working from home in the Upper Yarra, I needed to adjust clothing layers out in the shed....cool 14 deg with light rain showers

Have had a fire all summer here in southern WA as well. Unheard of. Cut a load of firewood last night. All the eucs are shedding bark flat out, feels like mid-March.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Sorry about that apple trying to work out how to copy from photobucket then paste to snow forum and no can do like work computer..seems I may have some extra steps with iPad chadstone done team Bears heads in...again our apologies to forum as we try to escape now the chadstone carpark thingee..never again will we set foot over here....melb a pleasant sub 20,s temps today..man this underground car park is a shocker...:eek::eek::eek: good to hear that temp report from Kelpieboy hopefully your day is a bit more relaxed now...

jwx

One of Us
Feb 8, 2017
Enter our mid FEB switch...
Upgrade on summer snow 18/19FEB, now including the mainland. EC, CMC, GFS all agree, for now.
GFS the colder of the others. All models going for a cut-off scenario, thanks to a surface trough proceeding the front, over NSW.
2-5cm possible.
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 8.00.17 am.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_aus_31.png

fd2083da6b.png

@316k 2pvu could surprise as a deep upper level low. Or a very very cold wondering pool.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
RE:19th System.
Cold air gone from GFS 00Z, still there on EC 00Z. Still a long way off being locked in, but it's still there for the moment.
To get an agreement this far out suggests it's likely to stay. Temps and precip are the questionable variables IMO.

Reactions: Claude Cat

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Temperature dropped to 28 in dubbo a couple of hours ago. Actually found myself with goose pimples and shivering at those temperatures after the last few weeks of heat.

jwx

One of Us
Feb 8, 2017
RE:19th System.
Cold air gone from GFS 00Z, still there on EC 00Z. Still a long way off being locked in, but it's still there for the moment.
To get an agreement this far out suggests it's likely to stay. Temps and precip are the questionable variables IMO.
0e5b68b266.png

0e49e36851.png

EC/CMC Ens members are still holding serve for a cold shot atm.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Was actually cold leaving home this morning on the way to work. 14C and drizzly. Will take that over 35C+ for the rest of summer, thanks. Forecast (again) looks ideal for the week - a mix of cool and breezy, a little bit of warmth (31C on Wednesday), some mid 20's action, followed by some days in the high teens.
Melbourne really has been spared this summer.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Some of that heat which is causing so much greif down south has now made its way to North Queensland. It's a hot dry Westerly blowing at Trinity Beach tonight and is expected to get stronger in the early hours tomorrow morning. There are supposed to be some thunderstorms around tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it. The humidity just isn't there at the moment.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Nothing sizzling in the major city of the Sth.o_O
Have gas heater on in Melb.this morning:2 blankets needed last night..Bears not going out till temp supports their activities...was close to ten deg C when Ubi arose from slumber very chilly..:(

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Perhaps we better incorporate the SA windmill outlook in this thread...:whistle:
Bears concerned that base load may not meet demand...unless stable wind velocity is maintained...
Bears are a bit concerned that :DElmo is involved in this...we thought his qualifications were in the performing arts..
Very still in mighty Melbourne we doubt windmills would perform well this morning...LOL
However there was no need for gas heater :pto be fired up either...

Last edited:

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
Just an observation so feel free to call me a kook if you want. This farmer's weather devices have been showing a pattern concerning the temperatures we have been experiencing since November. The device stores weather history at its location for up to 24 months however I only took delivery in November hence the history is only from November.
What I am seeing is a definite pattern of temperature buildups that peak at around 144 -156 hours from the last peak temp before a cooler change occurs. This is quite regular during this time frame and has only failed to occur once in the same time period with that event timing at 164 hours.
Does this mean that something to the south of us is working as intended to some degree , is it just an anomaly or am I just a kook ?
Amongst other measurable it also measures and records ground temp at a depth of 100mm which is quite a valuable bit of knowledge for a farmer. I have no prior records to measure against so I have no idea what is normal yet however it will be great to watch the ground temp decrease as we head through autumn and into winter.

Reactions: ecowain
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass