Mega Thread Sizzling Summer BBQ Thread!

jwx

One of Us
Feb 8, 2017
@Pow not sure about the top-end low atm there has been quite a few chop and changes with the ec runs,and yeah latest is a broad monsonal low ramping up off nw WA and re curving back onshore. I think if its a smaller compact system then i give weight to the earlier runs with the 993mb TC raking Darwin and ramping up in the JBG.

South System appears to be a cutoff low as-per the ec ens. Interesting system coming from the Tasman drifting N with a negative tilt and intensifying as it moves over land. Looks very cold.

4063f3dbc7.png

406b0335cb.png

40717128a0.png

4075e9de5d.png

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Splendid arvo in Melb today.Warm and dry maybe 30deg in Lygon St perfect for iPad and coffee activities :even Wifi most civilised activity.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
From a North Queensland point of view I'd suggest that last year's El Nino event is still here. While the Northern Territory and the top of Western Australia haven't done too badly even with the lack of any significant cyclone activity it's a different story on my side of the country. No weather systems of any significance have appeared at all this season apart from that non event in the GOC last week. Cairns has only received average rainfall so far with very little reaching inland areas. Tinaroo Dam on the Atherton Tablelands has only received enough inflow for authorities to be able to let the water skiers have a bit of fun again. Further south in poor old Townsville they will probably be pumping from the Burdekin Dam again in a couple of weeks time, the inflow for the Ross River dam dam has been that poor. Only a handful of rivers and streams have had flood warnings issued this season and even then they were only minor warnings.

I don't know what happened to the wet seasons of old but they seem to be a very distant memory now.

Reactions: nfip

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
From a North Queensland point of view I'd suggest that last year's El Nino event is still here. While the Northern Territory and the top of Western Australia haven't done too badly even with the lack of any significant cyclone activity it's a different story on my side of the country. No weather systems of any significance have appeared at all this season apart from that non event in the GOC last week. Cairns has only received average rainfall so far with very little reaching inland areas. Tinaroo Dam on the Atherton Tablelands has only received enough inflow for authorities to be able to let the water skiers have a bit of fun again. Further south in poor old Townsville they will probably be pumping from the Burdekin Dam again in a couple of weeks time, the inflow for the Ross River dam dam has been that poor. Only a handful of rivers and streams have had flood warnings issued this season and even then they were only minor warnings.

I don't know what happened to the wet seasons of old but they seem to be a very distant memory now.
I've spent time in Cairns over the last two Januaries and concur with you here - I've had maybe 1.5 days in rain in close on 20 days up there across the two years. No thunderstorms or anything exciting. Very unusual. Friends in Townsville say things are pretty dire.

Reactions: Seafm
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass