Ski and work

Discussion in 'Japan' started by zarik, Sep 11, 2018.

1. zarik

zarik Early Days

An unusual request. I work remotely for a company in Tokyo(live in Nagano atm). Few of us from the company thinking of doing a ski/remote work week.

Idea is to ski 3-4 hours in the morning, then work remotely. What we are looking for is a resort or accommodation near resort where this would work. One idea is the Yahoo Hakuba base coworking space near Happo(https://about.yahoo.co.jp/hakuba/). Stay at hotel close by, hit first lift(during work week should be nice) then have lunch and work after. Needs to have Wifi(fast reliable), some desks and we don’t won’t to impose on coffee shops.

Any other suggestions like that? One requirement is that one of the guys is a beginner so he needs lessons and can’t really speak any Japanese.

Should be somewhere easy to get to from Tokyo and Nagano(2 of is live here).

Ability wise 1 expert(not me), 1 upper intermediate skier, one intermediate boarder and one complete beginner.

2. M_G

M_G A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

When do you want to do this? Late Feb or March is a better option as it will cheaper and easier to find appropriate accomm. Plus the places will generally be quieter.

How many hours are you working after lunch? If you're only working until 5 or so then find a lodge with good wifi and utilise their dining/lodge space. Most people don't start rocking into communal space until 4-5pm after shower/onsen. Or book an apartment and use the dining area.

3. zarik

zarik Early Days

Well my sneaky plan is to try to do it early and then try again in March if people enjoy it :) So I was thinking some time January, maybe first week of Feb.

I am thinking ski till 11 or 12 then have lunch, then work till dinner. Then have post dinner chat about what has been accomplished, then go to Onsen, sleep.

Lodge is a possibility. Any suggestions for a place like that(good wifi, plenty of space). Any place near a place with English ski school for the beginner friend. I don’t really want to waste time looking for food, so dinner at the lodge would be best.

4. Any

Any Addicted

no suggestions for lodging/etc.
    but hello from another remote worker / ski bum.
    setup to ski whenever I want, but there's a lot of midday to all afternoon & into the night work going on and not super amounts of socializing.
    but at least you know its possible.

I'm setup to do the whole season tho.
    the amount of planning, effort and stress involved in setting it all up for just a 1 week trip is not worth it imo. you won't ever get to enjoy it.

take a week holiday instead.
    setup an on call rotation (and appropriate compensation!) so your employer can take comfort with the knowledge that if the shit hit the fan you can still remote in and do stuff.

Hyst and Froff Life like this.
  5. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Hard Yards

If you are doing it late Feb and into March reach out. We may be able to work a deal on a 3 bedroom apartment that has a work area with killer views. Sounds about perfect for what you want to do. Bus to ski school leaves 2 mins away and an onsen 5mins. Around the corner from Emu which is cheap eats and a Hakuba favorite.

Any likes this.
  6. zarik

zarik Early Days

That does sound good. Late Feb is a bit late though. But let me see if I can figure out another week like that, perhaps I can get more people to come to that one if first is a success.