1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski Area suggestions for a large group please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by QT Muzz, Feb 9, 2019.

1. QT Muzz

QT Muzz Hard Yards

Would love to here your ideas / suggestions please:

We are a group of (6 adults 6 kids youngest 8 oldest 16) all advanced intermediate skiers looking to head to USA / Canada for a double 50th over the 2019 Christmas New Year period or maybe a week later. Looking to be staying close to the snow with good off mountain activities for a couple of friends who won't ski the entire time.
    Any suggestions of which resorts might foot the bill ... Whistler, Breckenridge and Snowmass have been thrown around to date ... any thoughts on these or other ideas

TIA :)

Tanuki likes this.
  2. Sami-P

Sami-P Hard Yards

Definitely would recommend going for a week later than Xmas. That week thru NEw Years is very expensive compared to post 3-Jan. If it must be - then book as early as possible and be prepared for 30-50% premium.

With kids that young I’d recommend Big White or Sun Peaks. We just did 3 weeks at SP in Jan with 6 adults and five kids (1, 4, 6, 15 & 17) in a house with private hot tub that was ski in/out. Awesome value plus we used super early bird season passes for AUD$805/adult. House was just over $13K for 21 nights and had a brilliant Breville Espresso machine!

Snowmass (spelling?) / part of the 4 Aspen mountains on a single lift ticket would also be a great base. Just have to pay the exchange rate penalty.

Good luck and happy birthdays!

QT Muzz likes this.
  3. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think all three would tick your boxes. Whistler has it all.

Aspen Snowmass often has some decent deals for Aussies and it’s convenient to fly straight in in to Aspen with luggage checked all the way through from Oz. Crazy lift prices if you don’t get a package though. I personally think the skiing is better at Snowmass so would stay there and shuttle to Aspen, Highlands and Buttermilk. Some great ski in/ski out accom as well.

I haven’t skied at Breck but dropped in for a look around town and a couple of pints at RMU on my way to Snowmass last year and it’s a great little town.

QT Muzz likes this.
  4. Joe

Joe One of Us

The same or similar questions keep being asked and posted in the Canada forum, is this a coincidence or is this a reverse marketing strategy where the OP wants you to talk up certain resorts.

I mean how hard is it to google popular family resort reviews in Northern America...........Let people jump off the monopolised hamster wheels and explore other resorts/regions/countries for less monies....

Apresski likes this.
  5. QT Muzz

QT Muzz Hard Yards

Hi Joe, I assure you I am not asking as part of a marketing campaign and have been doing plenty of googling ... nothing like some advice from a forum such as this from skiers with first hand knowledge.

6. andrew7

andrew7 Hard Yards

2nd the recommendation to avoid Christmas/New Year skiing as 1) its super expensive 2) at the big resorts its a zoo/super busy. We had a big family trip the first week of January in Park City which is quite a charming old mining town with a good resort to ski suitable for all (nice for non skiiers). Canyons next door I preferred. Easy road access to Salt Lake City; we hired a car for each family and had great expert skier days at Solitude (big powder day) and Snowbird (bluebird powder day). Through in horse riding nearby one day, a few hours at the local gun club with a former navy seal instructor, and a nigh at the basketball (Utah Jazz) and a great time had by all. Alternatively Whistler ticks all the boxes as a mega resort (I lived there for 3 years), tons of skiing, shopping, etc etc

7. BoofHead

What’s the point of having a travel forum if people cant ask questions?
    Dodgy posters get weeded out soon enough.

Crystal, Sami-P and Legs Akimbo like this.
  8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I think we should give people the benefit of the doubt, at least initially.

But the post below is consistent with our dodgy friend's MO

BoofHead likes this.
  9. Roymond

Roymond Addicted

Depends on your focus. If it’s the kids and the skiing and value for money, it’s hard to go past BW and SP.
    For a 50th you may be looking at something snazzier with better apres’ and Snowmass is hard to beat. Snowmass is a ten minute free bus trip from Aspen, lots of ski in ski out and much cheaper with a larger and better hill for advanced intermediates than Aspen. Great activities for non skiers as well.
    Just depends if you want to deal with an exchange rate that is poor and getting poorer.

QT Muzz likes this.
  10. Sami-P

Sami-P Hard Yards

How about moderating Joe’s original troll-post as well, if you’re going to moderate mine? I’ve been here for many years and have paid gold membership. I at least contribute productively to our community.

Th OP posted a genuine question, and maybe like me in the earlier days could possibly have posted it in multiple forums, looking for advice assuming there might be different watchers in them. Then he was made to feel real welcome.

I hope @QT Muzz continues to stick around.

11. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I wouldn’t go to North America to ski for my 50th. I’d go to Hawaii, or New York or Fremantle.

After you’ve done the New York or Hawaii leg, then I’d go skiing simewhere like Park City, Snowmass, Tahoe or British Columbia. Their all good.

12. BoofHead

Snowmass also has some nice steep lines along the head wall. Overall a better hill to ski than Aspen imo.

13. silva

silva One of Us

Looking at your requirements in the opening post I actually think Jackson Hole would suit.
    Fantastic mountain, great town, lots of non skiing activities. Stay in Teton village if you want to be ski in/out or in town if you want cheaper accom and don't mind a bus trip or drive to the resort each day.

14. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Most years, JH in early January isn't the first choice for a mixed-ability family group. Assuming the most advanced/expert skiers are looking for more than groomers. But if steeps aren't of interest, there is potential now that there is an easier way to get to mid-mountain. Agree that it's a great town. The National Museum of Wildlife Art is well worth a few hours. Not just paintings, also sculptures so fun for all ages. Plus Grand Targhee is an easy day trip, has no crowds, and lots of early season snow.

Haven't paid that much attention to when Telluride has decent coverage. Has nice long and wide trails, and not just blues either. Would be pricey for transportation and lodging though. Telluride is a partner on the Epic pass.

Sun Valley will be part of Epic starting 2019-20. Cute town, easy to walk around. Historic lodge but also other lodging options in town. Plenty of condo rentals. Not too hard to reach but just far out enough to not be quite as crowded during holiday periods. Very long groomers and very good snowmaking.

Definitely better to wait as long as possible after Christmas to start the trip.

15. silva

silva One of Us

One of the reasons I suggested Jackson was that the group is all advanced intermediate - not mixed ability. Even without much off piste open (which can be the case for most resorts over Christmas/new year) Jackson has enough groomed high end intermediate terrain to keep any group of advanced intermediates happy. The group has people who will not want to ski all day or every day - Jackson has lots to keep them happy as well, Elk refuge, snowmobiling, dog sledding, shopping, galleries national park etc.

16. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Yes. Jackson is way under rated for intermediates. And advanced intermediates would be in their element there.
    I agree Snowmass is a fine hill and better than Aspen but Aspen Highlands is better than both in my view. Long groomers and some pretty nice terrain at Deep Temerity. Oh and there's a bowl there too....................

SnowRabbit and BoofHead like this.