1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Ski backpack

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Beny992, Dec 18, 2016.

?

Why pack should I choose?

1. Osprey Kamber 22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Osprey Kode 22

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Dakine Heli

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Beny992

Beny992 First Runs

Hey guys, I want to buy a backpack for skiing, i want it to be not too big(20-26L) but include: a ski carry (A or diagonal), and helmet carry, and as much water resistance.
    I did my research and basically came up with those brands: Osprey, BlackDiamond, Dakine.
    Can you recommend me on a skii pack?
    I have thought about Osprey Kamber 22 or Kode 22.
    I have read that the Osprey Kamber series is basically the same as the Osprey Kode, but newer. What do you think is better, and which of them should i buy, or maybe should I buy another pack?
    Thanks in advance!

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm in a similar position. Have been using an 18 ltr Vango which is really good for a lightweight day trip but want something which will carry skis for a hike up eg on Mt Stirling. Dakine Heli Pro got my attention but have not purchased yet.

3. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

what kind of skiing mate? around resort with a few small hikes, 'soft country'? 22L is a pretty small pack.

nfip likes this.
  4. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Dont undersize your pack. It doesnt need to always be full. I use this for day trips backcountry and climbing.. Very important to have decent compression straps for skis (4 on the Mirage 35 litre).

piolet and nfip like this.
  5. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I agree with @Kletterer 30 litre min. Even for small day trips . Food , a puffy ,skins etc with straps for skis fastening .

piolet, Chaeron and nfip like this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Can't help with your short list, sorry.

I use a One Planet Vertex.

Gave up on anything not canvas to keep out Ozzie moisture.

7. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We've been using the Heli Pro for years. Can strap skis on and attach helmet to one of the many straps. We've only skied inbounds so not sure what it would be like for backcountry skiing but I imagine it would perform well.

8. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Ive been using Dakine 36 L for day trips last few years.
    Doesn't take much to fill it.
    22L will be ok for 1/2 dayer slack country dinking.
    When you add in the bigger first aid kit , avi kit , puffer , spare gloves , food , extra food , hydration ......
    IMO

piolet and kaegee like this.
  9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Its a minefield of packs.

I ended up with this. Robust and exceptionally functional if a tad heavier than some others[​IMG]

10. piolet

Gregory has a very good rap
    I love my deuter guide

I also have a dakine vertex, OP, that is (was?) The ski carry version of the heli years ago. I think it was only 18L, hence only good for carrying skins and barely a sandwich and hard to strip off and carry everything for the climb.
    It does depend on your intended use....

Kletterer likes this.
  11. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

What I use:

What I want next:

Untele-whippet likes this.
  12. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

As Piolet says it depends on intended use. Look closely at the different features. In my case 2 features i looked for was removable back plate- ( for crag climbing/weight reduction ) and removable waistbelt- (for tangle free hauling up crags.

13. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I've used Osprey packs for years. They are robust and can put up with the rough treatment, can't recommend them highly enough. Haven't used the newer packs because my old pack just keeps on rollin'.
    The Kamber 32 looks pretty sweet.

Hully, Chaeron and grantn like this.
  15. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've got an Osprey Stratos 26 which is fine for day trips but tightly packed with all the kit in it.

grantn likes this.
  16. sbm

sbm One of Us

Back Country Access "Stash" 30L over here. I love it.

Diagonal ski carry that fits fat skis, plus side buckles for A-frame carry (or jackets or whatever). Pull-out mesh helmet net. Big zip all around the main compartment for easy access to stuff down the bottom. Secondary "wet" gear compartment with drain holes and pouches for avy gear. Fleece lined goggle/phone top pocket.

Whatever choice you make, having a pack designed specifically for skiing is really lovely.

piolet likes this.
  17. grantn

grantn Addicted

Super happy with my Osprey Kode, for what I need it for. Very, very heavy duty and no probs so far..........

18. Pez

Pez Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

The Osprey Kode 30 is a great pack for ski carrying, really comfortable and balanced.
    Accessing stuff from compartments can be difficult as the zipper openings are tight.
    For me it has a bit of "around the bull wheel" feeling to it every time I catch a chair lift, with all the stuff hanging off it

Attached Files:

19. rayner96

rayner96 First Runs

This seems like the best thread to ask this, but what sort of backpack would be recommended for a backcountry skiing trip if it's only for a few hours? Like a one-off tour as opposed to an invested-in hobby? I've never done it before and I don't know how much stuff I'm supposed to bring with me, and what the minimal requirements would be for such a short outing. The other thing is that because it would only be for 3 hours, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money. Any ideas?

20. nfip

have had one of these for years, great for the short side country types.
    https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/street-backpacks/heli-pro-20-liter-backpack/
    use it for my day to day down the beach , my man bag the mrs calls it
    if you out for the full day I'd look for about 36 L , which I have Dakine also.
    they are really well set up . IMO.

Froff Life likes this.
  21. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

I have had an Osprey Kode for many years and it works well for ski touring. I find that it is a little warm for summer hiking as it sits close to my body but it is great for either skiing or carrying skis. Would recommend it.

22. piolet

Where are you going from? With a guide? They often supply that kind of thing or a shop may rent one to you

23. rayner96

rayner96 First Runs

It's at a nature reserve, they said on the site that skis and shoes would be provided but gaiters/gloves etc we would need to bring. No mention of packs.

24. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

Second this. I had 2 of these over the years and it’s great for resort or sidecountry. People talk about size but realistically if the 24-30L is well designed and you can attach things to it you can get all your backcountry gear in for a day trip or I can, my dad can’t All his stuff to ski the pistes in a similar size.

I now use an old version of the following and can fit all the relevant arvo gear etc, has separate pockets, great attachments, water through strap so it doesn’t freeze and it’s awesome for day use or currently attaching my golf umbrella for crazy Brisbane storms https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/s..._LR_24?color=d3d9ceb5d9964eae9bd790590affbe17

nfip likes this.
  25. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I like the look of that SkiMo, but would be nice it it had helmet carry.

26. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for the Dakine Heli Pro. Fantastic quality that's made to last, I've had mine 6 years and no issues.

nfip likes this.
  27. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

Yeah i can't say enough good things about my Dakine heli Pro as a single day pack for Bc and touring.
    Well 1 complaint - no proper helmet carry, but thats a pretty minor issue.

Lots of other people seem to say it's no good, but mine has been going strong nearly 10 years now.

28. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I just clip my helmet to one of the outside straps

29. nfip

Same.
    my 36 has helmet carry , folds into its own pocket under the goggle stash
    the 20 I just clip the snowboard vert carry straps thru the helmet straps and its fine.
    only issue I have ever has is with the hydration tube in the 20 not contained in the shoulder strap (it is in the 36L) , and in Japow I neglected to blow the water back into the bladder and it froze up in the tube .
    Rookie errors !!
    but Ive had them both for 6 or 8 years still got years left in them.
    tempted tho for a little 12 or 16 that will carry skins only and not be quite so noticeable on the chairs.....
    first world problems.

Froff Life likes this.
  30. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The truth is you can get away with a lot of packs that might not be designed for skiing (or primarily for). A frame is generally better that diagonal for carrying skis (ski strap the 'A' part for more rigidity) and often the compression straps on a bag will allow for A frame carrying even if it's not mentioned as a feature.

Compression straps are mandatory as are good waist and chest straps). You want to be able to put the bag on and twist left and right and not have the bag swing around on your back too much. As a bonus, I like a nice side mesh pocket that accommodates a 1l Nalgene. Don't overthink it, just get one that fits you nicely and has the basic features. The vast majority of people are only going to have experience with one or two bags and then only out of circumstance and they'll recommend that bag

sidenote: Dakine has had the only helmet carry system that I wanted to use. Every other bag I just strap the helmet through a couple of bag straps or otherwise securely onto the bag. ie. I don't think helmet carry system is a point of difference worth considering.

nfip likes this.
  31. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

after a couple of years of looking around (there are sooo many packs out there!) i finally bought a Mystery Ranch ski backpack to replace my 13 year old camelbak. that poor old thing has seen nearly 2000 days skiing.
    i havent used it skiing yet, but so far its been good for a test hike. i was surprised at its quality and some unexpected design features, it is military grade after all.
    quite expensive tho, almost double the price of my second option which was one the dakine heli packs (which everyone seems to agree with). and the plastic in the back support frame would make it a few % heavier than dakine too. but it has all the features i deemed necessary.
    suggest you imagine and analyze a typical day skiing and try to identify important features. i had a checklist like 10 points long, but thew out my notes.
    -skinny but wide. i can fit everything but its still super skinny and can still wear it on a ski lift.
    -compression straps.
    -but not too much straps n stuff that can get tangled in a chairlift or your skis.
    -no side pockets or back pocket (usually these are mesh). pack manufacturers usually count these as volume, eg, you can fit 2 liter bottle on each side, so that counts as 4 liters to the pack size, so your actual pack space is smaller in the end. but if you have a fall, all that shit falls out.
    -a frame and vertical ski carry (like a snowboarder would). vertical becomes important when you have super fat skis because when in a frame they will dig into your back.
    -side access pocket so you can get to shit without taking the skis off the pack.
    -hydration compatible also, which i think people too often overlook. im too lazy to get a bottle out every 5 minutes.
    -proper back support harness is a plus.
    -bonus is that it fits laptop and enough space that i can use it to replace my travel backpack also.

skifree likes this.
  32. Any

wow old post @skifree. maybe an quick update,
    I ski with my mystery ranch saddle peak pack every day. it has seen 250+ days in resort, 60+ in the backcountry, and another 30+ as my travel or off season day hiking pack. I think the number of days is sufficient indication of how well it performs and how much I like it.
    Aside from needing a bit of a clean, it shows almost no signs of wear. I use snowboard style vertical ski carry because my skis are too fat, and you can see some marks where one of my ski breaks has rubbed against the pack during a hike.
    The only negative, the hydration compatibleness turned out to be a complete fail. I even custom added a second side zip for a hydration tube that I can reach around to without removing the pack, but without an insulated shoulder strap like my old pack had it just freezes even if i push air back into it after use. On the plus side, the side access zip is so convenient I just carry a water bottle now.
    I'd most certainly buy the pack again.

skifree likes this.
  33. skifree

I was poking about for Mystery Ranch talk, I remember you mentioned them, it took a few days to find the post.:)

I was looking at the MR D-Route as in bounds with side trips which I often do but am getting weary of the full pockets scenario for skins, water and a little emergency stuff. No avy kit in Oz where and when I would use this. But I have worked out the avy kit would fit. With this pack search the prime criteria was being lift chair compatible. I can do lift chairs with my regular larger ski tour bag (Camp Ski Raptor) but it's not all required and not as comfy if you end up spending all day on the lifts.
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/d-route-pack

But looking at your pack I think you have a model up from the D-Route, which makes sense in the Japan off piste scenario. Which MR pack do you have?

Your comments about hydration system echo what I thought when looking online and reading the review posts. I asked MR for some pictures of what they were claiming was the hydration compatible bits in the pack but no response to date.

34. Any

mine is the next one up, the saddle peak
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/saddle-peak-pack
    2018 model was 21 liter, but 2020 model is 25.
    it appears they increased the height of the front pouch to the top, mine only goes 3/4 the way up instead. i can see why they did it, if you had a longer shovel handle you'd be stuck with it sticking out.
    also looks like they added more protective material where my breaks have rubbed against the pack.

you can see in my pic above how thin the pack is. its quite tall and fat instead. even full it doesn't bulge way out because of the width and the compression straps.
    every day (even inbounds) I carry beacon, shovel, probe, 1-2 spare thin mid layers, balaclava or two, water bottle, duct tape, rope, satphone, pocket knife, ski straps, screwdrivers, and a bunch of medical & emergency stuff. I am that guy that people go to when they need something.
    don't have any problems with chairs, except for ace2 quad in niseko hirafu. its a 60 year old quad chair with a very thin seat. im still fine on that chair, just feel unsafely close to the edge. once i put the bar down im ok tho.

on a bc day, with the avi gear, extra layers, my water bottle, dog's water bottle, dog bowl, drone, drone's remote, gopro, batteries, food, spare gloves liners and goggles, and skins, my pack can get 80-90% full. that is with poor management tho, i just shove stuff in there, maybe better if i packed properly.
    my old pack was 15L ish, I actually haven't used it since getting the MR pack. not sure how I'd survive with a 15-16L anymore, and not sure why'd I'd try when I am so happy with this pack for both bc and inbounds.
    moving all my misc junk between packs depending on the day would be a pain also.

droute appears to have only diagonal carry, no compression straps, and the harness is much less substantial (the waist harness is the tipping point that sent me to MR).
    regarding chairs, droute also seems to be skinny and round, not fat and flat. vs .
    maybe its so thick its actually worse on chairs.
    tho obviously my opinion is biased :)

regarding hydration. the main pouch portion of my pack has a little loop with a toggle for attaching a bladder to. i used to use the old bladder from my camelpak. theres a small snow protected hole in the top left of the pack for a hose to go through. and both left and right straps have an elastic strap up high and the chest clip attachment points have small elastic straps that stretch and clip onto themselves, so that you could clip a hose into there. ie, the hose is exposed in the air and maybe even sticks out a bit at upper chest level and looks ugly, and can see it in the corner of your eye.
    "I" * cut an extra protected hole and zip into the side of the pack, that one can reach without removing the pack. can pull the hose out and drink and push it back in. unfortunately when the pack is full of junk the hose gets tangled on things and didn't work out. i hadn't had a side access zip before, so didn't know a waterbottle was going to be so easy to get in/out.
    * = (my mother lol)

I can check other stuff on my pack, and or get pics if you like. convenient time because its empty at the moment, just got back home to Aus.

skifree likes this.
  35. skifree

Thanks for all that @Any, food for thought.

The alternative was one of the rando race packs but they look too flimsy for my use.

Not that I will be allowed to spend any money on snow gear without a "discussion" right now.

Any likes this.
  36. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

I have a Dynafit (minimal) 20 litre pack. It has a toolbox for the spikes, compartments, ski mount and a piddly "avy scoop" to comply.
    I regard it as a very sunny day, pack. I like it. Hardly ever use it.

Also have a Dynafit 32 litre which has all the goods and takes my proper avy shovel. Has a toolbox, compartments, top box. Excellent. I used it a lot.

My Alpinethreadworks Selkirk, I use all the time now. As a day pack or for a three dayer. It's 47 litre and compresses down. It qualifies as a day pack because it weighs a frag over 1 kg. It has all the essentials for a backcountry pack. Also perfect as an airline carry on. Takes my laptop, ski boots and my carry on essentials.

skifree likes this.