Ski body furious

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
Re: Qantas in a skiing snow job to promote New Zealand

Born2ski said:
teckel said:
Just about every person posting in this thread, first strapped on a pair of skis in Australia. Had the resorts closed their doors (as some would have it) most of us would never have developed the passion we have for snow sports.

That's true Teckel but many of us started skiing over 20 years ago (26 years ago for me), will it be the same for the new generation of skiers ? My children have already started to develop their passion for snow sports but they've never been to an Aussie resort.

Yep... there are those who can't afford to go overseas on a week long ski holiday. Skiing in Australia is still very much an option for those who want to do weekend trips. Sadly it is becoming more expensive, almost out of reach for the budget conscious. I'm sure there will be a day where I could easily afford a decent ski trip to NZ every year, and one to, say, Japan or Europe. Then I would probably be in the same camp as many here. But for now I'm restricted to the local hills, and a weekend trip in Aus is still of similar cost to, if not cheaper than, the airfare for an OS ski trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaymz

A Local
May 5, 2001
Sydney

Born2ski said:
Just going through my holiday documents over the last 20 years and found something interesting. My airline ticket to Vancouver in 1992 cost $1713. Today the best fare I can get for the same dates is $1349. So now 20 years later I can get to Vancouver for $364 LESS. What a wonderful world it is.
thumbsup.gif

Thats exactly my point. Even though the price of fuel is much higher today than it was in 1992, flights actually cost less. If also want to factor in 20 years worth of inflation, your flight to Vancouver is a hell of a lot more than $364 cheaper.

Australian ski resorts should have spent the last 20 years reducing their prices, not the other way around.

And I don't want to hear any whinging from them claiming they can't afford to. I'm sure that was the official line from Ansett as well.....

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust

Jaymz said:
Born2ski said:
Just going through my holiday documents over the last 20 years and found something interesting. My airline ticket to Vancouver in 1992 cost $1713. Today the best fare I can get for the same dates is $1349. So now 20 years later I can get to Vancouver for $364 LESS. What a wonderful world it is.
thumbsup.gif

Thats exactly my point. Even though the price of fuel is much higher today than it was in 1992, flights actually cost less. If also want to factor in 20 years worth of inflation, your flight to Vancouver is a hell of a lot more than $364 cheaper.

Australian ski resorts should have spent the last 20 years reducing their prices, not the other way around.

And I don't want to hear any whinging from them claiming they can't afford to. I'm sure that was the official line from Ansett as well.....

i see your point but likening it to ansett is more like saying that a foreign resort buys perisher, sells all its lifts then wonders why they're broke

Jaymz

A Local
May 5, 2001
Sydney

True, probably not the most accurate analogy.

But look at the Australian air travel industry today vs 20 years ago. You had two airlines that refused to compete on price, and charged the exact same rate, to the cent. A Sydney to Melbourne return flight cost hundreds of dollars. I'm sure both would have argued that they were charging a fair market price, that they weren't colluding or gouging the customer. I'm sure that both would have argued that sub-$100 flights are an impossible fantasy.

Yet today, the idea of paying hundreds of dollars to fly Syd-Melbourne is unthinkable, even though fuel costs are vastly more expensive and airlines pay ridiculously high airport landing fees. If they had adopted the Perisher/Thredbo pricing model, they would have just kept adding 5% a year every year for the past 20 years.

My Jetstar return flight to Bali 2 years ago, in business (well, starclass), is cheaper than what I would have paid to fly return Syd-Melbourne economy before Virgin came along.

So my sympathy to to Australian ski resort who think they they alone live in a little bubble where they can just keep their prices up are about the same as I have for Gerry Harvey complaining about imports.

Most people on here probably started skiing as young kids because their parents took them. But try and convince someone 18-25 today who wasn't introduced to skiing as a child that they should spend what it costs to visit an Australian ski resort when they can go visit Bali or Thailand and lay on a beach at the same time of the year of half the cost.

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist

This topic has been merged with one from convo. Some posts might appear out of context or sequence.

WIZO

First Runs
Feb 25, 2008
Mt. Brawler, it's better

Born2ski said:
"It upsets me greatly," he said. "We're ending up with a government-sanctioned raid by a foreign power on Australia's tourism industry."

"New Zealand now takes 25 per cent He sounds really MAD. Interesting how he says NZ is taking "OUR" snow holiday market, like he owns us. Wake up Aussie businesses the world market is here and you don't "own" us. If you want our business you have to "earn" it boy.

Spot on B2ski
mrbang.gif
PS: Does anyone know the club that, rumour says, handed back the keys to resort management at Buller. Or why theyre transferring liquor licences for Spurs, Abom, Cattlemans and Tirol?

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

I love skiing in Australia and I have had many days of very excellent skiing here to rival just about any resort skiing world wide.

What I don't like are the entrenched "resort industry" players that for so long have lead duplicity laden lives selling out to overseas (Japan and Canada) when it suits them, wilfully instigating an employment regime based on casual instant dismissal and no work no pay conditions, deliberately stifling any talent that seeks to improve the conditions of workers, rewarding long term seasonal loyalty with dismissal based on insular resort politics and generally turning the resort experience into their own personal fiefdom.

The #1 reason so many of the people I have introduced to the wonderful world of Australian skiing have not made skiing in Australia part of their regular winter activities is COST. Day passes + access charges + gear expenses + inflated accommodation costs all add up to a "too expensive" brand name. When you add weather and access difficulties together with blatant rip offs such as on demand lift running, counting rope tows as lifts, early shut down of lifts, long disorganized lift lines, over zealous to the point of deliberate lies style marketing, lack of or conflicting on mountain information and general lack of customer service people just stay away or visit very infrequently as an afterthought rather than a regular holiday decision.

When families are priced out and beginners faced with the total cost and lack of service realities of making Australian skiing part of their lifestyle the resorts kill of their future market ..... and that is exactly what the ASAA has done of the past 15 years. They have personified the term "punter" and turned it into their "fleece everyone" marketing strategy.

Offering people "amazing discounts" for June and September is an incredibly cynical and self indulgent way to treat a very fragile customer base. Making a "season pass" effectively a "July and August Pass" by limiting access through staggered lift opening based more on an employee hiring cycle or projected visitor numbers than actual snow conditions in June and September is another very cynical move.

The old school skiers that learned to love skiing in Australia in a time when excellent customer service was the primary focus have become older, wiser and more affluent. This pool of long term hardcore skiers have traditionally been the resorts best marketing tool, alas due to 15 years of taking this pool of positive devoted free marketers for granted the goodwill that remains is as dry as a Kootenay winter morning and their skier kids have little loyalty due to being exposed to a wider world of affordable, customer competitive skiing adventure.

Reap what you sow.

scullee

Resident Hobbit
Jun 10, 1999
Hobbiton
socold said:
scullee said:
Ultra said:
It's funny, Qantas doesn't actually fly to NZ anymore. Jet connect does, with Qantas liveries on their aircraft.

Who cares, it is sold as Qantas, on a Qantas plane, as far as most people are concerned, its Qantas.

Shame Qantas dont fly near a ski resort in nz

qantas (jet connect) flys direct into queenstown I would say thats close to NZ resorts

I stand corrected. I thought that was handed to jetstar

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist

Dr. Wood Duck said:
I love skiing in Australia and I have had many days of very excellent skiing here to rival just about any resort skiing world wide.

What I don't like are the entrenched "resort industry" players that for so long have lead duplicity laden lives selling out to overseas (Japan and Canada) when it suits them, wilfully instigating an employment regime based on casual instant dismissal and no work no pay conditions, deliberately stifling any talent that seeks to improve the conditions of workers, rewarding long term seasonal loyalty with dismissal based on insular resort politics and generally turning the resort experience into their own personal fiefdom.

The #1 reason so many of the people I have introduced to the wonderful world of Australian skiing have not made skiing in Australia part of their regular winter activities is COST. Day passes + access charges + gear expenses + inflated accommodation costs all add up to a "too expensive" brand name. When you add weather and access difficulties together with blatant rip offs such as on demand lift running, counting rope tows as lifts, early shut down of lifts, long disorganized lift lines, over zealous to the point of deliberate lies style marketing, lack of or conflicting on mountain information and general lack of customer service people just stay away or visit very infrequently as an afterthought rather than a regular holiday decision.

When families are priced out and beginners faced with the total cost and lack of service realities of making Australian skiing part of their lifestyle the resorts kill of their future market ..... and that is exactly what the ASAA has done of the past 15 years. They have personified the term "punter" and turned it into their "fleece everyone" marketing strategy.

Offering people "amazing discounts" for June and September is an incredibly cynical and self indulgent way to treat a very fragile customer base. Making a "season pass" effectively a "July and August Pass" by limiting access through staggered lift opening based more on an employee hiring cycle or projected visitor numbers than actual snow conditions in June and September is another very cynical move.

The old school skiers that learned to love skiing in Australia in a time when excellent customer service was the primary focus have become older, wiser and more affluent. This pool of long term hardcore skiers have traditionally been the resorts best marketing tool, alas due to 15 years of taking this pool of positive devoted free marketers for granted the goodwill that remains is as dry as a Kootenay winter morning and their skier kids have little loyalty due to being exposed to a wider world of affordable, customer competitive skiing adventure.

Reap what you sow.
i think i said this, but duck is more eloquent.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

scullee

Resident Hobbit
Jun 10, 1999
Hobbiton

I would prefer to Ski Australia than go to NZ as it is more convenient but its just not worth it.

Simply, its not the snow conditions or any value adds that are stopping me skiing in Aus, its the price. Lift tickets are too expensive, Food is too expensive and Accom is too expensive.

Change the price and i will come back. Im sure im not on my own here.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan

scullee said:
I would prefer to Ski Australia than go to NZ as it is more convenient but its just not worth it.

Simply, its not the snow conditions or any value adds that are stopping me skiing in Aus, its the price. Lift tickets are too expensive, Food is too expensive and Accom is too expensive.

Change the price and i will come back. Im sure im not on my own here.

Add Mountain entry to that list and 100% agree.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

I would be keen for some NZ club fields but the NZ majors have never held much appeal for me.

scullee

Resident Hobbit
Jun 10, 1999
Hobbiton

ice_man said:
Yep... there are those who can't afford to go overseas on a week long ski holiday. Skiing in Australia is still very much an option for those who want to do weekend trips. Sadly it is becoming more expensive, almost out of reach for the budget conscious. I'm sure there will be a day where I could easily afford a decent ski trip to NZ every year, and one to, say, Japan or Europe. Then I would probably be in the same camp as many here. But for now I'm restricted to the local hills, and a weekend trip in Aus is still of similar cost to, if not cheaper than, the airfare for an OS ski trip.

I can do a week in NZ for not much more than a weekend in Aus. I found airfares during the week for $250 to Christchurch and the lift tickets are about $60AUD. You just have to do a little research and shop around.

Ulmerhutte

One of Us
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
www.stantonamarlberg.com

Dr. Wood Duck said:

Reap what you sow.

^^^ This!

Those of us who love skiing, have the time and money, will ski here and overseas. And love both... in different ways. I know I do.

The issue arises with first timers and those people who cannot do both. In the former case, I shudder to think what they make of $300/night in a rubbish room, etc, etc. I wonder what is the attrition rate, ie how many never go back again. How many only ever go one weekend a year.

In the latter case, those who cannot do both; well, many of them have voted with their feet and wallets.

Looks like model for killing your business... make it unattractive to new customers and piss off your existing customers.

TC

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 7, 1999
Gulmarg Resort Kashmir Sydney

Dr. Wood Duck said:

Reap what you sow.

that is so so true and eloquent
thank you
thumbsup.gif

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

Tell me this... And I'm think out aloud here..

Is there any chance that Qantas could be chasing the NZ market to ski in the Australian resorts? I mean my knowledge of NZ is spending all of 5 minutes in Auckland.

I wonder if any kiwi's come to Australia to ski. What do you think?

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

So I take it that nobody would make the effort to come to Australia? Well that's fcuked!

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan

JoeKing said:
So I take it that nobody would make the effort to come to Australia? Well that's fcuked!

Lots of people come to Aus for a holiday every year. Just not for a ski holiday.

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

damian said:
I do. And my Japanese wife is very excited to be skiing in Australia again in August.

And that's what I don't understand. And not wishing to be rude.. but how can you come to this when you've got your backyard as it were? Is it because of the summertime and no snow there? Again, don't want to pry just wanna understand the POV.

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

TOFF said:
JoeKing said:

Lots of people come to Aus for a holiday every year. Just not for a ski holiday.

Yes. I understand that. I was in Darwin some time back and found myself apologising to Europeans for my countrymen's conduct as hosts.
mrbang.gif

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site

JoeKing said:
damian said:
I do. And my Japanese wife is very excited to be skiing in Australia again in August.

And that's what I don't understand. And not wishing to be rude.. but how can you come to this when you've got your backyard as it were? Is it because of the summertime and no snow there? Again, don't want to pry just wanna understand the POV.

Why I come: I'll admit that the instigator was me offering avalanche courses to in Australia rather than Australians having to give up valuable days of their o/s holiday to take the training. So in short: work kicked my arse into gear, rather than sitting around making excuses or planning on going the Argentina or NZ.

JoeKing said:
but how can you come to this when you've got your backyard as it were?

I do not wish to be smug, but put it this way: of the 100+ days I ski a year spanning 6 months I ski so much untracked powder/fresh snow - like 80 days a year, more if I wanted it. Easily 40 days of knee deep pure powder, untracked. My garden has snow on the ground for 4-5 months a year. It peaks at 230cm at my front door. I see so much snow that I really do not give a damn what the snow is like in Australia so long as it is not raining. You get the idea. So...

Once you remove the [mainly media and profit driven!] obsession with perfect snow in unnecessary quantities you are left with what you really feel: I love the mountain environment in general, and Australia has a very unique one. It is home and the people speak my language (meant more figuratively than literally).

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

damian said:
JoeKing said:
damian said:

Why I come: I'll admit that the instigator was me offering avalanche courses to in Australia rather than Australians having to give up valuable days of their o/s holiday to take the training. So in short: work kicked my arse into gear, rather than sitting around making excuses or planning on going the Argentina or NZ.

JoeKing said:
but how can you come to this when you've got your backyard as it were?

I do not wish to be smug, but put it this way: of the 100+ days I ski a year spanning 6 months I ski so much untracked powder/fresh snow - like 80 days a year, more if I wanted it. Easily 40 days of knee deep pure powder, untracked. My garden has snow on the ground for 4-5 months a year. It peaks at 230cm at my front door. I see so much snow that I really do not give a damn what the snow is like in Australia so long as it is not raining. You get the idea. So...

Once you remove the [mainly media and profit driven!] obsession with perfect snow in unnecessary quantities you are left with what you really feel: I love the mountain environment in general, and Australia has a very unique one. It is home and the people speak my language (meant more figuratively than literally).

Ok. Got it. Thank you for your condor.
thumbsup.gif

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Condor ??

California-condor-in-flight--lateral-view.jpg

wink.gif

outtahere.gif

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

aw fuckit. Been stuffing around with the dickenharry.

Candour. Jesus H Christ. Is'nt that obvious? ::)

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Yes,.... of course it was obvious....
biggrin.gif

But it still made for some fun none the less....
wink.gif

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.

main street said:
Yes,.... of course it was obvious....
biggrin.gif

But it still made for some fun none the less....
wink.gif

I know. Just being an arse. Thanks for playing!!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

damian said:

And when this topic inevitably comes up on this forum which tends to be an annual event, I tend to remark that Australians disdain for skiing locally is some weird sort of reverse snobbery that I find quite amusing as the people who deride it so strongly tend to have a narrow experience of skiing in Australia anyway and generally don't possess the skills to make the most of what's on offer.

(Except for talking about cost. That's indefensible)

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site

Way overpriced, yes. But people make the resorts out to be far worse than they actually are.

Perhaps it is the distances involved in getting to most of them for casual weekend skiing.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Dr. Wood Duck said:

Reap what you sow.

Hands down best post of the thread.

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
Inverloch

damian said:

I absolutely love skiing in Aus but I think the resorts here are a complete ripoff and offer little if any value for money when compared to what you can get elsewhere. The backcountry though is awesome and I'm lookikng forward to getting out there this winter. Don't need ski resorts to ski
thumbsup.gif

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

CarveMan said:
damian said:

And when this topic inevitably comes up on this forum which tends to be an annual event, I tend to remark that Australians disdain for skiing locally is some weird sort of reverse snobbery that I find quite amusing as the people who deride it so strongly tend to have a narrow experience of skiing in Australia anyway and generally don't possess the skills to make the most of what's on offer.

I concur. IMHO the reverse snobbery thing is quite strange. Skiing in Australia is mostly unique and enjoyable experience even when its braille skiing in a 100k Alpine breeze or slarving your way through 6 inches of fresh 98% opaque sloup.

I always encourage my overseas skier friends to accompany me on a ski weekend in Australia. All are very interested and some do come along but mostly they are here for the beaches and the outback and to escape their winter.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

Go Native said:
I absolutely love skiing in Aus

Ummmmmmm

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

I kinda think everyone is missing the point of this action...

Its not about an us vs them of resorts. Qaulity of snow and all that.
Whinging aside from hackworth.
Its about a Australian company endorsing a NZ based tourisim product.

Qantas really has an easy sell. NZ is sold and promoted so well.

This is endemic of tourisim on this country.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

Donza said:

If you want to follow that line of thought, why does Qantas have so many subsidiary companies and staff hired outside of Australia ?

KTI

First Runs
Jun 1, 2012
DARWIN NT

most of Qantas/Jetstar flights acorss the Tasman are crewed by kiwis.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002

Donza said:
I kinda think everyone is missing the point of this action...

Its not about an us vs them of resorts. Qaulity of snow and all that.
Whinging aside from hackworth.

Qantas really has an easy sell. NZ is sold and promoted so well.

This is endemic of tourisim on this country.

actually a good point D-San

WIZO

First Runs
Feb 25, 2008
Mt. Brawler, it's better

Dr. Wood Duck said:
Reap what you sow.

We could "Occupy Buller" except we can't afford the parking, food or tent sites.
tantrum.gif

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens

WIZO said:
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Reap what you sow.

We could "Occupy Buller" except we can't afford the parking, food or tent sites.
tantrum.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003

Why are prices high in Victoria? The ridiculous government charges are partly responsible. First there are bed taxes, or service charges, then site rentals, then land tax. Way back when the site rentals were peppercorn amonnts, service charges were low because the resort didn't employ all the salaried experts on the environment, accounting staff, business development staff etc. And state governments put up site rentals by enormous percentages year after year.

To have to pay land tax on land you don't own is simply gouging by the government, but all attempts to get out of paying it fail. When the Stae Electricity Commission was the land manager all the finances were done by their staff in Melbourne. Full time resort staff were very few. Now, if you live in Mount Beauty, say, there's a government van to drive you up and down every day if you work for the RMB. Free.

There's no doubt that the government helped kill the goose that laid golden eggs.

And now, with Julians gone and the Browns with it, there'll be no more baked-bean wrestling! All gone to hell in a hand basket. (Weeps silently)

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

hair-raiser said:
Why are prices high in Victoria? The ridiculous government charges are partly responsible. First there are bed taxes, or service charges, then site rentals, then land tax. Way back when the site rentals were peppercorn amonnts, service charges were low because the resort didn't employ all the salaried experts on the environment, accounting staff, business development staff etc. And state governments put up site rentals by enormous percentages year after year.

To have to pay land tax on land you don't own is simply gouging by the government, but all attempts to get out of paying it fail. When the Stae Electricity Commission was the land manager all the finances were done by their staff in Melbourne. Full time resort staff were very few. Now, if you live in Mount Beauty, say, there's a government van to drive you up and down every day if you work for the RMB. Free.

There's no doubt that the government helped kill the goose that laid golden eggs.

And now, with Julians gone and the Browns with it, there'll be no more baked-bean wrestling! All gone to hell in a hand basket. (Weeps silently)

Couldn't agree more, while the lift companies are the obvious, soft targets due to the visibility of lift ticket prices, I think in fact that they are only a small part of the problem.

It's the RMBs that have far more responsibility and control over the cost of skiing.

The are unaccountable government-appointed agencies, it is bureaucracy gone mad and the personification of taxation without representation.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic

CarveMan said:
damian said:

Though at the same time there's the constraint factor, that someone has x number of days skiing available to them each year and so what to get the best quality experience they can, especially the maximised amount of powder
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass