1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Ski & Boot options for 3.5 year old

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jonathan_P, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us

Trying to decide what to do for Miss 3.5.

She had a few ski lesson last year with a 1 hour program for toddlers. She seems keen in expanding on that this year with the full day program for 3/4 year olds.

Do I rent or buy considering it will be 4 trips totalling 5 weeks. That being sad though probably won’t be every one of those days but a good portion.

L9 have a defiance skis + Roces adjustable boots package. They are a good price although can’t find a lot of reviews on the quality of the skis so bit of an unknown. Boots are mostly positive with a couple of negative.

Also looked at some Australian stores online that have Atomic Vantage Girl X Kids Skis or Roxy or similar and Dalbello 1.0 Junior Ski Boots or something similar.

Thinking of going 70cm, she is currently 95cm and 15kgs I know she will grow by the time winter comes around but think 80cm would be too large if I buy the overseas stuff now.

Local gear I would buy closer to the time so measure her closer to date.

I know she will grow out of them quickly so could be easier to hand back a rental but for time required it’s going to be pricey.

Probably way overthinking this

nezumi likes this.
  2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

My now 9 year old started on skis at 4. I’m pretty sure she was in the Roces adjustable boots from the start, and they served her well for say 3 seasons. No gripes.

I can’t remember what skis she used - 80mm? - 90mm? - but she loved it. She was 4 going into 5 by recollection when she started, but it could have been the year before

Jonathan_P likes this.
  3. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Keep an eye out in the Gear Swap section. Often see kids stuff getting recycled and recycled. Little kids aren't heavy users of skis, so the gear lasts a long time.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  4. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Bought the Roces boots and Defiance Pro skis from L9 for my 9 year old last season. Boots and skis have been great. I did some research and found that Defiance is a L9 own brand, so you may not find a lot of info about them, but our experience has been positive.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  5. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us

Good to hear about your positive experience.

How easy are the Roces boots to adjust?

6. southpaw

Really easy, plenty of YouTube video guides, it took only a few minutes to do. My daughter really likes them.

Annabuzzy and Jonathan_P like this.
  7. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

My little one is exactly same age as yours and I got her a set of Definace plus Roces boots for this year trip.
    80cm and the 16.5Roces.
    Got it for a bargain on gumtree for $180 brand new, postage included, I was super stoked.
    My eldest has the Same Roces boots as well and she is 5, still on the smallest setting..lol

If you are just looking for the boots there is a guy on gumtree I know still selling a pair of 16.5 in Pink for around $150 in Melbourne. Can send you the details in pm if you like.

8. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us

Showed my daughter the Definace Skis this morning the graphics and colour were not to her liking. Her favourite is the Roxy Skis :)

Hahaha kids all about the graphics.

Good to hear another thumbs up for the L9 package if I manage to turn her around.

Had a look at Gumtree the pink ones seem to be sold?

Annabuzzy likes this.
  9. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

A kid will not have the strength or experience so that skis will make any difference. At this stage keeping them happy on snow is the most important thing. Go with the graphics she likes.

nezumi, Dave6 and Jonathan_P like this.
  10. Balsta

Balsta One of Us

The Roces adjustable boots are great. My son is onto his 3rd (and last) pair, would probably be his 7th pair of boots if he was just using standard boots.

Not sure what the deal is but these are almost impossible to find locally, I think they would be a great seller for any ski shop.

southpaw and Jonathan_P like this.
  11. southpaw

I’ve often wondered that myself, maybe the market isn’t large enough to bother stocking them as I would imagine most parents of littlies rent rather than buy, but I’m just speculating.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  12. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us

I think your speculation is probably spot on, bulk of parents would rent.

Due to the length of time that I am going this year I think I would be better off buying.

nezumi and southpaw like this.
  13. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If only there was someone on here who could see a market and maybe bring some in (roces) to sell

@CarveMan

Jonathan_P likes this.
  14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

It's not just the kids.

Rookie error. You should have just bought the skis ans she would have loved them. Don't give them the choice.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  15. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us

Sure was :) 100% rookie mistake, learning for our second what not to do.

Can get her point though, here is what I was planning on buying.

This is what she wants.

One is more expensive, no prizes for guessing which one.

16. southpaw

Jonathan_P likes this.
  17. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Silly dad.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

OMG, that first pair look like someone threw up their Ribena. Points to the young lady for her choice.

However, point still stands.

Peanut and Jonathan_P like this.
  19. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I have boys and I’m not sure if it’s a gender thing or a personality thing, but my pair don’t really care overly much for the appearance of their gear. Not that they’ve really gotten much of a choice, as I pick up things as they come up for the right price. I do have a general idea of their preferences and try to accomodate them where possible.

It does help that my younger boy loves pink, so I don’t have to say no to good items based on their colour. My older bloke likes purple, and Rhythm had a set of 140cm girls skis on sale toward the end of last year that are purple on the front half, and ombre to magenta on the rear half. He got them for his birthday on NYE and was so stoked to have purple skis. He did bitch about them not being twin tips, but I told him that he doesn’t need twin tips because he doesn’t do any park skiing.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  20. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Every kid needs twin tips! How else will they ride switch and throw up rooster tails! LOL

Peanut, Jonathan_P and southpaw like this.
  21. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Well, this year the 9 year old gets the twin tips, so he can have a chance to ride switch and throw up rooster tails. LOL

chicski and Jonathan_P like this.