Ski boss accused of rorting Baw Baw

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
Baw Baw has been a almost 100% state sponsored project since the lift company collapsed some years back.

Not exactly right. The lift company collapsed because the board wouldn't renew their operating lease, thereby forcing them out of business. A precursor to the pattern that has been evident in all dealings with Mt Baw Baw in the ensuing years.

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010

The world runs on nepotism, nothing wrong with that. If it's your business it's entirely your perjogative.

The issue here is appropriate governance of public funds - afaik, Baw Baw has been a almost 100% state sponsored project since the lift company collapsed left town some years back. Every public servant, especially at the executive level, is well versed in what the approrpriate code of conduct is and this reads like the boundarys have been overstepped.

Personally I find it an unfortunate turn because Leona has done wonders for Baw Baw and has dramatically improved all areas of the resorts operation and the civic infrastructure since her commission.

Sorry Richard ... perhaps have a look at the commentary under "Baw Baw" to get the views of what appears many close to BB and it's administration.

Being close to a couple of stakeholders the view I hear seems to be the CEO is a megalomaniac (sorry not good at spelling) trying to run anyone not associated with her off the mountain. Doubt if this is in the code of conduct !!

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003
"The world runs on nepotism, nothing wrong with that. If it's your business it's entirely your perjogative.(Sic).
The issue here is appropriate governance of public funds"

As a shareholder in a non-public funded enterprise I'd be totally peed-off if the boss hired his relatives instead of the best person for the job. Even a private business should always get the best it can, as an operating principle.

A world NOT running on nepotism would be a far better world.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I'm floored and saddened at the dishonesty/corruption/rorting/whatever you want to call it so prevelant in organisations/companies/governments these days. Whatever happened to the days when this sort of crap didn't go on? Why do people do it? It's not a matter of whether you get caught or not, it's a matter of fundamental honesty and decency. The world is going mad
frown.gif
It seems to be all about greed whether that be for power or money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dawooduck
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003
The publicly announced government enquiry in to Thwaite's transgressions, Ward's supposed rorting, and how Saint Waterfalls got possession of the Bogong High Plains Road never got off the ground. No report ever saw the light of day.

Just why did Thwaites resign immediately after Bracks announced he was quitting?

P

PolePlant

Because he voted against Brumby to put Bracks in

NOTE
I dont know if that rates as "political" as I think that was well known among their own.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Steady, petals. Allegations at this stage. Whether true or not in your minds and evident in your online bravado.

smile.gif

And the article in the OP says it may be widespread:

The allegations at Mount Baw Baw follow an audit report by KPMG in 2007, which uncovered a litany of problems with corporate credit cards and conflicts of interests involving five boards that control Victoria's ski fields.

annabell

First Runs
Aug 23, 2001
I heard same thing yesterday. The report should make interesting reading, it's out next week I hear. Does she know what's coming ??

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
When did she resign? Sounds fishy - that she may have resigned knowing it's about to hit.

And it appears not to be the first time
in 2004 Ms Turra resigned from a $300,000 role as Chief Executive of Central Gippsland Health Service days before the entire board was sacked by former Victorian Health Minister Bronwyn Pike

annabell

First Runs
Aug 23, 2001
I understand it was annouced yesterday. There has been an email stating that due to ill health she can no longer continue. If this is true, i wish her well with her health, I would not wish ill health anyone, I have been through it with family and it is cruel.

I must say though that the timing of it all makes me wonder........

SuskiQ

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 16, 1999
Mostly Australia
Leona (and/or family) owns a unit in DP (Im friends with the property managers) so I'm sure that part of the allegations are completely wrong. I'd be very surprised if she isn't cleared of all accusations and I too will stand corrected if that turns out to not be the case.

Cancer is NEVER convenient and I wish her EVERY good wish in dealing with that challenge.

I'm aware of who one of the "accusers" is that brought about the investigations... there's history there so I guess I'm not too surprised
frown.gif

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Her past form:
In 2004 Ms Turra resigned from a $300,000 role as chief executive of Central Gippsland Health Service days before the entire board was sacked by former health minister Bronwyn Pike. After police and ombudsman inquiries, Ms Turra - then known as Leona Mann - was found to have inappropriately approved $103,000 in payments to the board's former chairman Dr Allan Wain for business-class flights, car hire and telephone costs.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
Ian D said:
Link to the source of that Teckel or remove it.
Thanks Barras for that link. I forgot to put the link in.
I'm amazed that someone reported that post - it's common knowledge, so clearly the person who reported it doesn't know much about the case, if they demanded a source.

The link is also in the OP, which is what this thread is meant to be about and quoted again in the last post of the first page of this thread.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I think ian has to mindful of the legal position and just make sure that any allegations are just passing on already published reports. can't blame him for a bit of arse protecting

cocopops

First Runs
Sep 1, 2008
No one makes up cancer treatment as a cover up. One look at the lady would tell you she is clearly unwell. She has difficult treatment to face a long hard journey, she is a human being with a horrible illness. Respect that please.

Forty

Hard Yards
Dec 17, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
At the risk of raising some that may not want to be discussed,

- Where is the Deloitte report?

I think disclosure and publication of the report will give everyone confidence in the management of the resort and may clear Leona of the allegations made against her.

Having this left behind closed doors gives an impression that something is being hidden.

It would be good for Stuart Ord to be able to respond to any shortcomings or problems identified by the report.

It is an uneasy feeling when everything goes quiet.

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010
Totally agree Forty

Where is the report and what does it contain. Not releasing the details is contrary to transparency and credibility, leaving lingering doubt. If the allegations against the former CEO were false then announce the truth and clear her name. Equally if there was substance to the allegations, we as taxpayers and visitors to Baw Baw have a right to know and what is going to be done about it.

How can confidence be restored to the management of the mountain with this hanging over it ?? It must be very difficult for Stuart Ord with this left unresolved.

Do we as citizens have the right to know the details through freedom of information - I would imagine so.

BawBawSkier

Hard Yards
Aug 23, 2011
priderock said:
Do we as citizens have the right to know the details through freedom of information - I would imagine so.

Watch this space priderock, it's gonna happen

surfnski

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2012
Problems for Stuart seem to mount. Apart from having to recruit a new Head of housekeeping right at the start of the season, it seems there are now vacancies for the head of IT and the head of Cleaning Services as well. Not a great start to the year. Some of those staff will be sadly missed. Whats going on?

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010
Timing is not good but maybe a great opportunity for Stuart to recruit senior staff of his choosing to "move forward" as the cliche goes !!

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
surfnski said:
Problems for Stuart seem to mount. Apart from having to recruit a new Head of housekeeping right at the start of the season, it seems there are now vacancies for the head of IT and the head of Cleaning Services as well. Not a great start to the year. Some of those staff will be sadly missed. Whats going on?

New head of IT eh?
Leonas Son quit did he?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass