1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski camps

Discussion in 'United States' started by chicski, Sep 22, 2018.

1. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

anyone done one they could recommend?

I’ll have a month in USA late Feb-Mar 2019 with Epic pass in hand. So a Vail resort is preferred but I’ll go elsewhere if the camp is well recommended. I’m not looking for a women’s latte group, I want to ski and progress. I’ll be solo so the company will be a bonus.

I’ll probably be looking around Colorado, Utah, maybe Tahoe.

2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Heather Robillard's camps are highly regarded but I think she is more Canada than US.

Also I think Yes Improvement is still around, they're very good, but are also out of Canada rather than the US last I knew.

But really any multi day high end clinic anywhere is likely to be good. I've never done a bad one.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Canadian Ski Quest at Red Mtn Canada.

Typically these camps don't flourish in the US as the resorts don't like 3rd parties operating these type of programs, and the ski schools don't really see the value in doing it themselves.

4. chicski

Canada really isn’t in the plan, given that I want to maximise my skiing and use of the epic pass (and not interested in Whistler). Good info for a future trip though thanks.

5. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

NASTC does very good camps in the Tahoe area. Pricey but worth it.

The Alta multi-day camps are excellent. I haven't done one but know people who do the Performance Camp in April annually. Staying at Alta Lodge is bonus but does up the price.

Have heard good things about the multi-day camps at W-B. I think the one for women only still exists. They keep changing the name.

Several for 2017-18 were listed in the Ski Diva's blog entry. I would think most are happening this season too.

https://www.theskidiva.com/womens-ski-clinics-17-18-2/

Lately I'm doing Taos Ski Weeks. They are addictive. Quite a few advanced/expert skiers do the same Ski Week annually for 10, 20 years. Takes a little more effort to get to Taos, but the Ski Week is a bargain at around $250 for 6 mornings in a row (Sun-Fri) with the same instructor. No reservation required. The level of the experience of the Ski Week instructors is impressive. There are two weeks that have the option of a Ladies Ski Week that has perks. Last year that included 5 days of demo skis.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  6. JeremyG

JeremyG Hard Yards

Also second Ski Quest. Unfortunately in Canada, but an amazing program which attracts great instructors. Was, at least a few years ago, more low key than other programs, but if you want to improve a lot over one - two weeks, meet some great people and ski on one of the best ski mountains there is - this is the program. I did the program at Red Mountain, but I think they now go to a few other resorts.

Unfortunately not Epic mountains. I have been looking for something equivalent in the EPIC resorts, and there is nothing which does not cost an arm and a leg and a bit extra on top of that. For three days of kids lessons we are looking at the equivalent of the whole season of Perisher Winter Sports Club

7. chicski

Telluride have both a women’s camp and Heli camp in my date ranges. Not on the Aus Epic pass unfortunately.

8. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

Any chance you could get to Big Sky @chicski? The Pugski Gathering is on there late February IIRC. Generally there are a few instructors in attendance, who are often willing to do some coaching. Skiing with that crew for a week WILL improve your skiing, and if you join Pugski and have a look at the 2019 Gathering threads, you might find someone to share accommodation and daily travel with.

9. chicski

Probably a bit out of the way. Would like to pick a state/area and not travel too much. I actually prefer to not share accomodation. I’m looking forward to travelling solo after many trips with 2 offspring :)

10. chicski

I’m leaning towards Jackson Hole or Telluride at the moment.

11. Marty_McSly

Fair enough.

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I was going to suggest Jackson!

I have one of the instructors emails - will PM it too you!

chicski likes this.
  13. Marty_McSly

Are you likely to make it back to the US in 2020? If so, and timing is roughly the same, the Pugski Gathering will be at Jackson Hole in 2020. I'm hoping to make that one. The group I met at Whistler last year were great fun.

14. chicski

Who knows? LOL

Marty_McSly and Ozgirl like this.
  15. Pink

Pink One of Us

16. chicski

17. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You need to be more specific about how good you are and how ambitious you are to progress.
    Women I have skied with have done many of these:

JH

Steep and Deep camp. If you are good and want to get very good. https://www.jacksonhole.com/steep-ski-camp.html
    Elevate - less aggressive and more technique oriented https://www.jacksonhole.com/elevate-womens-camp.html
    Comparing the two: washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/ski-camps-at-the-jackson-hole-mountain-resort

Telluride
    Pity they downscaled the Mountain Adventure deal - 10 half day 'lessons' for $300. Now they only do 3-day packages.
    Still worth it. Join the top group (do not overstate your level) with maybe 3 regulars, ski the Telluide hike-to terrain.
    But not Bear Creek - OOB area requires a side deal. https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/ski-school/adult-group-lessons/

Otherwise, you've seen these https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/ski-school/specialty-camps/womens-week/
    Silverton is close-ish silverton.com/sisters-meeting-in-the-mountains and rippinchix.com/womens-steep-skiing-camps

18. chicski

I can ski most things, but not always pretty when it gets technical. I’d like to be able to ski technical and still maintain technique. Really improve technique and confidence in my own skills in steeper, choppier, deeper terrain. I can do it, but my mind overrules at times.

I have an old injury which restricts me and I don’t think or really want to ever be expert.

Aggressive skiing, probably a women’s group, without the long lunches and extended coffee breaks. I like the look of the elevate one but the timing doesn’t work.

19. silva

silva One of Us

Hi Chicski
    I can personally endorse the Camps at Jackson Hole. I did the womens snowboard camp (It was called womens steep and deep then) several years ago and it hugely improved my boarding. There were several social events as well as the instruction side of things. Very well organised, Amazing instructors, small groups and met lots of people. Have always wanted to go back and do another camp. Definitely no long lunches or extended coffee breaks involved - was long challenging days on the hill (including Corbets) with some nice dinners, drinks and laughs in the evenings before retiring early to get first lifts the next day.

From your dates you could look at the Steep and Deep Camp (Feb 26 - Mar 1) or the Ski and Snowboard Womens Week (March 4 - 8) - this is the Elevate camp for both Ski and Snowboard while the one in January is Ski only.
    Either would be amazing - why not do both (not cheap but so worth it, once in a lifetime experience).

20. chicski

Great thanks for the feedback :)

21. silva

silva One of Us

If you need any more information let me know - I have boarded all over the place and never found a program to match it.

chicski likes this.