Ski.com Canada 19/20 ski plans

zac150

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
@SnowBound calgary is a nice city but a day and it’s covered, banff is stunning and as other have said lake Louise, the chateau, Johnson falls etc are all worth looking at. We did five days (two skiing) and easily covered these areas.

From there you could go north to Jasper but this road is more snow ice effected so you need to be aware of that.

it all depends on budget, if the plan is to see highlights of Canada you could easily spend a few days in Vancouver and Victoria as well

Reactions: SnowBound

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Have you booked your holiday time and flights already? If not, consider moving it back to May. Milder weather, longer days, better roads, more facilities open. You can still have your cheeky ski since LL and Sunshine stay open well into May. In Feb the sli conditions will be primo and you'll be kicking yourself over missing powder days. The Icefields Parkway is lonely and challenging in mid winter, and there's hardly anywhere to even pull off the road for a picture - too much snow.

As others have said, get a car. Public transport options very limited in western Canada outside the big cities. Splurge on one night in either Banff Springs or Chateau LL. Emerald Lake Lodge down in Field is lovely and less expensive. Between Banff and LL, take a drive on hwy 1A, the other side of the Bow River from the main Trans Canada. Slower but less traffic and more relaxing.
I’d agree with this. My only other visit to Canada many years ago was in April. I skied at Sunshine on Anzac Day, it was the only one still open. Plenty of snow for sightseeing but still many touristy things still closed from winter.

Reactions: SnowBound

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
For anyone thinking of travelling and hadnt booked airfares yet, have a look at China Airlines.
I was just looking at pricing one way Premium economy Perth to Vancouver at $1100 versus $2600 with Cathay and $4300 with Air NZ
Keep rechecking Cathay, they will be keen to get custom back. Qantas also use China Eastern to Vancouver for frequents

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
BNE - YVR nonstop with AC is pretty good, better aircraft than cattle class in the 777 in and out of SYD. If you have to take a connecting flight anyway, it's worth considering.

WickedPowder

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2007
Short review of The Horse. IMO KH is better than Revelstoke. They are close so it's easy to try both.
Cant disagree with you both even though i now live in Revelstoke. KH has epic terain, probably some of if not the best inbound terrain on the planet (especially when you consider the low number of skiers). But if you can, it would be my advice to make any trip to reve / KH flexible. Reve gets far more snow and more consistent snow falls. You chance of getting a pow day in reve is very high and if you know how to find the terrain hidden reve has some unbelievable tree lines chutes, glades and heaps of pillows . However if you get a good pow day at KH it will rival a day with a heli at your disposal and you will ski steep chutes with super light fluffy snow flying off your skis.
If you can afford it get out for a trip to somewhere like Chatter Creek cat skiing out near KH and you will never forget that skiing. Both Reve and KH, have great terrain for expert skiers, they are both limited on intermediate terrain, but Reve has a new lift that has opened a whole heap of beginner terrain.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Looking for suggestions on a stop over between Vancouver and Kamloops, probably closer to Van??
Have looked at Harrison Hot Springs and mixed responses on Trip Advisor. Something unusual/different to see/do is the plan.
Will re read Sly's thread re travelling the various highways and attractions.
Any thoughts??

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
My plans are now looking pretty fixed.

27/1 Fly Mel - LAX - Van - Kelowna with Qantas and Westjet
28 - 29/1 Stay in Penticton and ski Apex
30/1 Drive to Revelstoke
31/1 - 1/2 Ski revs
2/2 Drive to KH
3 - 4/2 Ski KH
5/2 Drive to Field
6 - 7/2 Ski LL
7/2 Drive to banff (post ski)
8 -9 - 10 ski Sunshine (maybe LL or Norqs)
11/2 Fly Cal -SLC - LAX - SYD - Mel with Delta and Virgin

Flights are a bit shit but best I could do on points.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra

30/1 Drive to Revelstoke
31/1 - 1/2 Ski revs
2/2 Drive to KH
3 - 4/2 Ski KH
5/2 Drive to Field
6 - 7/2 Ski LL

If you’re going to Banff, definitely ski Lake Louise. It’s just spectacular.

Reactions: zac150 and TOFF

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

30/1 Drive to Revelstoke
31/1 - 1/2 Ski revs
2/2 Drive to KH
3 - 4/2 Ski KH
5/2 Drive to Field
6 - 7/2 Ski LL

High chance we might cross paths somewhere between 31/1 and 7/2. I’ll wave :wave:

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
We could arrange to have a slide and/or drink.
My plans for that week are still a bit fluid. But that would be great if it works out. I have general plans to leave Banff on 31/1 and head towards Revy and back by 7/2. 2 days each at Sunshine, LL and Revy.

Reactions: TOFF

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
My plans for that week are still a bit fluid. But that would be great if it works out. I have general plans to leave Banff on 31/1 and head towards Revy and back by 7/2. 2 days each at Sunshine, LL and Revy.
We can keep in touch

Reactions: Skichic2

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
Team EB is going to Silverstar from 27Jan to 13Feb. Then a couple of days in Vancouver before heading back to MEL.
How crazy can the mountain be on Aussie Day? :p

Anyone going at the same time and have kiddo? We have a 14-month old. I am prepping for the plane trip. lol

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Just a little crazy, all the Aussie workers dress up or undress for the bikini run.

This year a young aussie lady was telling me about her bikini antics of the day before.
She was also kind enough to lift her jacket and show me the large area on her back where skin used to be 24 hours earlier before she’d fallen on the way down

Reactions: EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
This year a young aussie lady was telling me about her bikini antics of the day before.
She was also kind enough to lift her jacket and show me the large area on her back where skin used to be 24 hours earlier before she’d fallen on the way down

Ouchies! Noooo...

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Looking for suggestions on a stop over between Vancouver and Kamloops, probably closer to Van??
Have looked at Harrison Hot Springs and mixed responses on Trip Advisor. Something unusual/different to see/do is the plan.
Will re read Sly's thread re travelling the various highways and attractions.
Any thoughts??

Necro response, but In the middle of winter there's not really much of note that you'd want to stop for.

Some of the provincial parks closer to Van might be worth a look I guess. SIlver Lake for example:
https://goo.gl/maps/fumzcZ5fxQ5uhnQL7
Keep going down the same road and it will take you to Ross Lake, half of which is in Canada, half in the USA. Pretty amazing countryside.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Right, forgettable question perhaps but a shout out to the Canada regulars (eg @sly_karma , @Taipan , @gareth_oau , @Crystal etc). What are the logistics of transferring from an international to domestic flight at Vancouver Airport? I’m arriving on 12 January on the dreaded Air Canada (what can they lose this time?) flying Canberra - Brisbane - Vancouver - Kelowna. I have 2 hours to make my connection to Kelowna. Some of you might recall that I’m not very good at catching planes. I’ve missed a few :whistle: So I’m already starting to get a tad stressed.

Question: are the domestic and international terminals in the same building, ie within walking distance? Or do I have to get a bus/train between them?

LDJ

One of Us
Apr 23, 2017
Right, forgettable question perhaps but a shout out to the Canada regulars (eg @sly_karma , @Taipan , @gareth_oau , @Crystal etc).
Question: are the domestic and international terminals in the same building, ie within walking distance? Or do I have to get a bus/train between them?
I can’t remember specifics but I had just over 1.15 to do BNE to Vancouver to Calgary and was easy even had time for a lounge visit. Pretty sure it was just walking and you don’t have to get luggage either but I can’t 100% remember

Reactions: Lady Penelope

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
No bus or train, but a 10-15 minute walk inside terminal buildings and covered walkway system. You can ask a host for assistance if you want, they'll be happy to drive you on the electric golf cart thingy.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Right, forgettable question perhaps but a shout out to the Canada regulars (eg @sly_karma , @Taipan , @gareth_oau , @Crystal etc). What are the logistics of transferring from an international to domestic flight at Vancouver Airport? I’m arriving on 12 January on the dreaded Air Canada (what can they lose this time?) flying Canberra - Brisbane - Vancouver - Kelowna. I have 2 hours to make my connection to Kelowna. Some of you might recall that I’m not very good at catching planes. I’ve missed a few :whistle: So I’m already starting to get a tad stressed.

My transfer in April from International to Domestic, had us on a bus to get from A to B. Essentially all within the same terminal with the usual barriers that are required for International travel and security. As mentioned above, walking is an option, all under cover.
My advice for you is to look for your next gate as soon as you come off the flight, and make your way there. Use this as your 'Base'. Once there, food, toilet and other facilities are usually close by.

Red wine is not good for departures ;)

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
Yes, we got on a bus from International to Domestic when we arrived last week. HNL to YVR to YKA. Passport control was extremely efficient, and we were through in a matter of minutes. This was in stark contrast to HNL, which was an absolute schmozzle.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

ivenever done it. We always drive up.
However 3 of my kids aged 21 to 25 did it with no difficulties and we collected them at kamloops.
One bag didn’t accompany them due to load limits on the plane but Air Canada drove it up to SP anout 3 hours later to out condo

The Lunatic

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2000
Northern NSW

Great question. If you notice a man, woman and 2 adolescent boys following you in Vancouver airport, that'll be me and my family, as we'll be travelling on the same flights from Brisbane en route to Kelowna :D

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Great question. If you notice a man, woman and 2 adolescent boys following you in Vancouver airport, that'll be me and my family, as we'll be travelling on the same flights from Brisbane en route to Kelowna :D
12 Jan? Great, you can help carry my bags :p I’ll be the frazzled woman with 2 tired boys ;)

Reactions: zac150

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
We had ours checked all the way through to Kamloops last year. Has that changed?

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
Our bags were checked through to Kamloops last week via Vancouver. We were out of Honolulu though, but I don’t think that would change anything.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass