Ski deals (ski industry or otherwise) for lift tickets

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by MadPatSki, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MadPatSki

MadPatSki Just Registered

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. Why? I'm correctly contemplating a ski trip to Australia.

As a geographer and ski fanatic, I like to mixte my skiing to explore new places.

I'm contemplating a ski trip for August/September turns. I just came back from our family vacation and I can either fly to Mt. Hood on FF points (which I've done a few times) or do to the Southern Hemisphere (I've done the Andes a few times) and New Zealand last year.

Plane tickets to Australia are definitely cheaper for me than getting to NZ, plus as I mentioned, never skied Australia and it's all about new experiences.

I know that as a ski coach/instructor (CSIA/CSCF) in Canada, I managed to get some discounts on lift tickets at a few places last Summer in NZ (Cardrona 50%, Treble Cone 30%). I didn't get anything at Hutt or Ohau. I didn't ask for areas I skied prior to reaching Queenstown (North island and Remarks (which I later found out that I could have gotten a deal on Remarks tix)).

So those anyone "in-the-know" about asking or getting ski industry discounts in Australia?

Thanks and keep on skiing!!!

MarzNC likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I seriously doubt you'll get discounts, but good luck :)

3. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

You can try, write a letter and see what the response is however, history tells us that Stralya is the hardest place in the world to get a "traveling instructor" discount. If you have an ISIA sticker on your CSIA card photo copy it and include with your letter.

4. MadPatSki

Thanks. That's what I thought on my NZ trip last year.

5. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

Discounts? I doubt it. The market is too small and not one bit competitive. Do you really want to go the expense of flying all that way to ski in Australia? Or NZ for that matter. Us going the other way I can understand of course.
    Just be prepared for mellow terrain, a lack of vertical and questionable snow conditions compared to what you're used to. Add to that the ridiculous cost of slope side accommodation (an average three time more expensive than like for like accommodation in Aspen/Snowmass) and extortion like prices for food and drink on the hill I would suggest you save your dollars and put it towards next (northern hemisphere) winters trip to Japan, Austria or Italy etc.
    If you do make the trek I hope you have a great time. Make sure you get a photo skiing through the snow gums.:)

*Coming to Oz for most other things apart from skiing would be a great idea. We've got a beautiful country and so many natural attractions. Beaches, reefs, rainforests, deserts, rocks, gorges, harbours are among the worlds best.

skivet and Chaeron like this.
  6. MadPatSki

Thanks. I was definitely going to give it a try if I end up flying to Australia.

7. MadPatSki

I try to ski 12 months a year, so I'd be looking to make my annual August/September turns. New destinations, new areas, I'm a bit of a geography geek. Of course, my trip wouldn't only be skiing. I had a great 3-weeks in NZ last season, 7 ski days in 7 different ski areas (Whakapapa, Turua, Remarks, Treble, Cardrona, Ohau and Hutt - I wanted to go to the club fields, long snow and a flat tire at Ohau (and driving on a spare changed my places) and 4700km. So you can see, it's not only for the skiing.

Tanuki likes this.
  8. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

if you were planning on coming next year I would suggest picking one mountain (or Hotham & Falls Creek combined) and buying an early bird season pass in Sept/Oct.

Tanuki and Chaeron like this.
  9. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Discounts from the lift companies in Aus !!!!! nup, not going to happen. :(

10. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If you have an American Epic Pass, it's honoured at Perisher.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. rugbyskier

rugbyskier Dedicated Member

If you have a friend or colleague currently working at an Australian resort they may be able to give you a 'family and friends' discount voucher. Some of the resorts provide vouchers for staff who have worked at the resort for a few seasons.

Chaeron likes this.
  12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Either way, come over and have fun :)
    It may not be much, but it's home!

MadPatSki, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  13. MarzNC

MarzNC Just Registered

The Mountain Collective Pass for 2017-18 includes Thredbo for 2017. Just re-started sales at $469. Added a couple days in Niseko as an affiliate (no 50% discount for additional days).

14. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I don't think it is?

15. MarzNC

MarzNC Just Registered

Well, depends on which season is of interest. Buying the Epic Pass for the 2017-18 season in North America and Europe includes Perisher in 2018. So can't help MadPatSki.

skull, teckel and chicski like this.
  16. MadPatSki

Well, too much stuff to make it happen at home now to plan a quick trip to Australia. I'll be spending a few days at Mt. hood in Oregon. However I've got a chance to do some research. I'm thinking 3 weeks with maybe 6-10 ski days. Are there any ski area that I should spent more than 1 day? Thredbo? Perisher?

Fly into Sydney and drive towards Canberra then Melbourne then up the coast or vice-versa.

Melbourne
    3h11 - 227km
    1- SKI Buller
    3h45 - 270km
    2- SKI Hotham
    2h - 100km
    3- SKI Falls Creek
    4h10 - 285km
    4- SKI Thredbo
    0h50 - 60km (or 0h15 - 15km via skitube)
    5- SKI Perisher
    0h08 - 8km
    6- SKI Charlotte Pass
    2h45 - 220km
    Canberra
    3h15 - 285km
    Sydney

Maybe Mount Baw Baw and even maybe skip to Tasmania?

Again: As a geographer and ski fanatic, I like to mixte my skiing to explore new places. So it's not only about the skiing.

Opinions, advice, thoughts?

Tanuki likes this.
  17. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Dedicated Member

If you stay at Jindabyne, it is an easy drive to Perisher one day and Thredbo the next. These are very easy drives (or bus ride) at ~40 minutes from the town to the resort.
    Charlotte Pass resort is completely snowbound in winter with access only by oversnow transport from the Perisher ski resort. I haven't been there but believe it has limited accommodation there, so you most likely need to book well in advance.

Likewise, if you stay at the town of Bright it is very achievable to drive to Falls Creek one day and Mt Hotham the next, (~1 to 1.5 hours drive each way, weather dependent). You'll also save significantly on accommodation costs as you are off the mountain.

As for how long to spend at each resort....
    Mt Hood (I've never been there), states skiable terrain as 2,150 acres. Would you recommend skiing just 1 day here?

Perisher claims 3,080 acres
    Thredbo claims 1,186 acres
    Mt Hotham claims 790 acres
    Falls Creek claims 1,110 acres
    Buller claims 740 acres
    Baw Baw - 86 acres (35 Ha)
    Charlottes pass claims 123 acres (50 Ha)

Mt Buller (and Mt Baw Baw) are not close to any of the other resorts listed above by road and would need to be assessed as a day or 1/2 days travel.

These are all of the downhill resorts (on mainland Australia) but there are some others if you wanted to consider cross country skiing.
    E.g. Mt Stirling (next to Mt Buller) and Lake Mountain.

Note also the month of August is peak season in Australia, and shoulder season is generally from 1st September.
    Although most of the resorts advertise to be open in September, some have and do close after the 2nd weekend in September (much to our frustration), even though there can be ample snow still on the ground.

Hope this is of help...

MarzNC and MadPatSki like this.
  18. MadPatSki

Thanks so much.

Mt. Hood is the only year-round skiing in North America, so the skiing is limited to the Palmer glacier. One day and we've seen it all.

A better example is what I did on my last trip south of the equator where one day was enough to get a feel of the place. If I would add an extra day, it would be at Treble Cone and Remarkables. Snow was pretty firm at Hutt and the coverage wasn't great; if the conditions would be better I could see an extra day here also.

1- Whakapapa
    2- Turua
    3- Remarks
    4- Treble Cone
    5- Cardrona
    6- Oahu
    7- Hutt

There are also a few more places I'd like to ski in NZ, mostly in the snowfields in Canterbury. Once I left Oahu, I ended driving on the spare tire (flat tire with chains on the drive down) and didn't want to risk the club fields roads.

19. FatBoyDave

I enjoyed some of the club fields the most in NZ, Mt Cheeseman, etc..

I would say that Cardrona, Remarkables and Treble Cone are roughly comparable in scale to most of the Australian resorts, (although I was last there in 1996....), with Perisher being somewhat larger than any of these resorts.

MadPatSki likes this.
  20. FatBoyDave

Although this is a skiing forum...
    If you are a keen geographer, you'll most likely get a lot our of a visit to Tasmania...
    Cradle Mountain, (no skiing, just hiking).
    Walls of Jerusalem National Park and many many other areas...

21. FatBoyDave

Almost forgot....
    You can also visit Mt Buffalo from Bright...
    It used to have some lifts but is now Cross country, tobogganing and sight seeing only..

22. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

And a fascinating place to visit

FatBoyDave likes this.
  23. gaz35

gaz35 Active Member

sounds great - go for it . You only live once

24. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Single person accommodation is often hard to find in the resorts. Single night accommodation is also hard to find in the resorts. Much easier out of the resorts in the surrounding towns where you could stay for a couple of nights but do 2 or more resorts. e.g stay in Jindabyne and visit Thredbo, Perisher and Charlottes Pass.

Driving Khancobin to Thredbo is worth doing in daylight. Check the road is open though as it does get closed for various reasons. Gives you the chance to look at some of the Snowy Hydro scheme as well as subalpine rainforest (is this the right term?) only found in a few places. Personally I enjoy driving the other way on that road. Love the change in vegetation as you come over the range at Dead Horse Gap.

Also it is high risk at night due to the wildlife - kangaroos, wombats, deer and lots of smaller creatures. And there is very little other traffic if something does happen. Some trips on that road are very lonely. I rescued someone one night who had not seen another vehicle in either direction.