Review Ski Essentials reviews on the DPS

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
No powder ski reviews :cry:
There's more of a marketing focus on front side now for DPS. Everyone knows we make the best pow skis and that ain't changin' but we're far more than a one trick pony. I skied our front side Cassiars a lot this season and they are wicked. I fell in love with the Cassiar 79T. I've never spent so much time popping into the air on turns. They were so much fun.

You've got the Wailer 112 and the Lotus 138. Feel free to do your review on this thread. Step up young man.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
There's more of a marketing focus on front side now for DPS. Everyone knows we make the best pow skis and that ain't changin' but we're far more than a one trick pony. I skied our front side Cassiars a lot this season and they are wicked. I fell in love with the Cassiar 79T. I've never spent so much time popping into the air on turns. They were so much fun.

You've got the Wailer 112 and the Lotus 138. Feel free to do your review on this thread. Step up young man.
I can ski them , but can't describe them LOLLOLLOL

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I skied our front side Cassiars a lot this season and they are wicked. I fell in love with the Cassiar

I’m moving my more modern Cassiar on but skied them 1 day this season, I’d forgotten :doh:how much fun they are, so easy to pop turns compared to the Wailers. I fell back in love :love:with them. But I committed to a receiver for them so they are going. Lucky I have an older pair back home to bring over next season.:woohoo:

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I can ski them , but can't describe them LOLLOLLOL
Oh! come on, I'll accept "they're wicked bro".

Best one we had was a guy at Revvie, we ended up together at the base of "Drop in" a sweet little spot in the North Bowl and we ask old mate what he thinks of his skis. Two word answer "Life-changing".

We pissed ourselves. Have to agree.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I’m moving my more modern Cassiar on but skied them 1 day this season, I’d forgotten :doh:how much fun they are, so easy to pop turns compared to the Wailers. I fell back in love :love:with them. But I committed to a receiver for them so they are going. Lucky I have an older pair back home to bring over next season.:woohoo:
@skifree I hadn't skied the Wailer99 for a few years. I always went for the W112 if I had the choice because I felt more in touch with it. If that makes any sense. My take on it was yeah great ski, plenty of people love it but not high up on my list for personal preference. Something about the turn radius or flex or whatever, I couldn't put my finger on it. Probably just a mental thing, I fell in love with the W112 first couple of turns, whereas the W99 took longer, so I didn't click into it much. Even though I try to do a day on each ski during the season, something always seemed to prevent me from taking the W99 out.

I gave it to an absolutely ripping skier in Thredbo this year and did a couple of laps with him. Older gent like myself but one of the best skiers I've seen on many fronts. Won't name names. Anyhoo he was charging through everything on it and looking so smooth, so when he got off it I took it out for a few laps and WOW, what a different ski it is. It has changed a lot over the last couple of years. What a ski, thinking of mounting a pair for myself now.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
@skifree I hadn't skied the Wailer99 for a few years. I always went for the W112 if I had the choice because I felt more in touch with it. If that makes any sense. My take on it was yeah great ski, plenty of people love it but not high up on my list for personal preference. Something about the turn radius or flex or whatever, I couldn't put my finger on it. Probably just a mental thing, I fell in love with the W112 first couple of turns, whereas the W99 took longer, so I didn't click into it much. Even though I try to do a day on each ski during the season, something always seemed to prevent me from taking the W99 out.

I gave it to an absolutely ripping skier in Thredbo this year and did a couple of laps with him. Older gent like myself but one of the best skiers I've seen on many fronts. Won't name names. Anyhoo he was charging through everything on it and looking so smooth, so when he got off it I took it out for a few laps and WOW, what a different ski it is. It has changed a lot over the last couple of years. What a ski, thinking of mounting a pair for myself now.

I do have a bit of the evolutionary history of the W99 in the library. The current pair is so versatile, but the more recent versions are heavier so no upgrade on the horizon.

I used the 112RPCs a little this year but am still feeling my way to get the best out of them. And i like to have a ski that skins in pocket is easy on quick spur of the conditions tour. The 112 was better than expected on tour but is 40% additional weight and not as manoeuvrable (under me) in the snow gums & such as the 99s. Also I need to buy a 3rd binding to get out on them more with one binding on the 99s and the other on the more dedicated tourers the Moonlight Northern Lights I’m always needing to do a little unscrew & rescrew to have the 112s running.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
The RPC is still my favourite DPS ski. That goes for a large chunk of the staff and team riders as well.

The C does definitely stands for "Charger". They prefer open terrain where you can let 'em run. I've had so many people comment about the lines they lay down on firm snow for such a wide ski. They defy general wide ski characteristics with their carve ability and they become very easy to ski in deep pow. They're awesome in Japow but can be a bit of a handful in slicker snow in tight trees.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Oh! come on, I'll accept "they're wicked bro".

Best one we had was a guy at Revvie, we ended up together at the base of "Drop in" a sweet little spot in the North Bowl and we ask old mate what he thinks of his skis. Two word answer "Life-changing".

We pissed ourselves. Have to agree.
I did review both of them here , but can't find it anymore ????
They weren't "wicked bro" they were " fooly sick bro "

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Love my 99 Alchemist, they pivot and smear better than anything I have skied plus can do a multitude of turn radius’s back to back,
Only place they lack slightly is long fast GS turns on groomers but that’s to be expected and to be honest I try to keep if the groomers,
Mine are mounted with Tectons and they are so bloody light it’s incredible.
I’d love to get an 80ish Cassiar and a 120 or w112 too.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
@DPS Driver any ideas on timeframe for the DPS A100 RP 2020 being released? I saw it advertised on Snowbound website. I was looking at the alchemist wailer 99 but couldn’t seem to find anyone stocking the right length and then I saw the 2020 A100 RP and thought I might wait. Are they worth waiting for considering the cost difference?

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
@DPS Driver any ideas on timeframe for the DPS A100 RP 2020 being released? I saw it advertised on Snowbound website. I was looking at the alchemist wailer 99 but couldn’t seem to find anyone stocking the right length and then I saw the 2020 A100 RP and thought I might wait. Are they worth waiting for considering the cost difference?
They will be here before the season starts. All stores getting them in which should be in April.

They're quite different to the W99. The W99 had a 16-19mtr radius whereas the W100 is the same as the W112 with 15-18mtr. I know that doesn't sound like much but if you've skied both the W112 & W99 lately you will feel the difference.

The new W100 tested the house down in the US this season and we think it will actually challenge the W112 for top selling ski.

Reactions: LDJ

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
What length are you after @LDJ?

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
I’m 5’9 and 80kg on 177 K2 shreditors at moment but people seem to be suggesting the DPS wailers ski short so was looking at 184cm

PM sent. Some shops in Sydney and Melbourne don't rank in Google results when searching for skis. If you decide you'd prefer to wait for the new models, post back here and I'll put the details up.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
The new W100 tested the house down in the US this season and we think it will actually challenge the W112 for top selling ski.
now I’m torn maybe leaning towards the w100. Thanks. #firstworldproblems

Last edited:
Reactions: DPS Driver

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
#firstworldproblems
I feel your pain. Analysis paralysis between Alchemist/Foundation and 106/112 has had me stymied for a while.

I've finally committed to 112 Foundation in 184 as the wider/powder half of a 2SQ for North America, hopefully Heavenly and JH next year. The narrower half is likely to be one of Monster 88 or Enforcer 93.

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

aazz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2012
Hunter Valley, NSW.
@DPS Driver I'm looking at the Alchemist Cassiar 94, but I'm unsure about length. I'm 178cm's and 65kgs. My last few sets of skis (Nordica, Elans and Heads) have been around 170cm but I have read a few comments to go up a size with DPS skis. I'm tossing up between the 171cms and 178cms. Just curious what your thoughts are on going longer with DPS skis. Cheers, aazz.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Hi aazz, go your normal length with the Cassiar range of skis. If you're happy with 170's then go the 171cm C94. They don't have the same amount of rocker as the Wailers.

Reactions: Chaeron and aazz
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass