1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski fit Canberra

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by zac150, Mar 21, 2019.

1. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As many on here know @DidSurfNowSki and I have been attending (not enjoying ;)) Duncan’s sessions for a few years. He works on building strength to assist in balance and strengthens joints to reduce the risk of injury, this definitely saved my season last year.

I can guarantee you will have a few laughs, feel like an idiot as you try to balance, and will look for an oxygen canister after the harder efforts but you will enjoy and benefit from it.

Ps Duncan is great at scaling the workouts if you have issues.

SMSkier, piolet, Jacko4650 and 2 others like this.
  2. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

piolet likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The tribe has spoken.

zac150 and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  4. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I started the ski-fit thingy about 2 weeks ago, doing walk, jog, sprint, squats, bike, weights stuff but any tips to add variety would be very much welcomed???? One of my objectives in particular, is to get some spring into the legs for off-piste ventures. One thing I tried which seems helpful is carrying a 4kg weight in each hand on an hour-long walk/sprint session. Legs are like lead toward the end but I sense the knees are strengthening quite a bit already and I dare say it will help with skinning uphill?
    I'd love to join in your sessions, but drive times would be prohibitive!

SMSkier likes this.
  5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Try chucking a few litres of water in a backpack. You don't get the arm and shoulder workout you get with hand weights, but you don't have to carry them.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  6. Jacko4650

Will try that. Not sure how it will go with my lower back which can flare up a bit but worth a crack. The 4kg weights in hand feel quite light to start with but more akin to 10kg on the homeward run. Doing upper body exercises with the weights as you walk has the advantage of taking your mind off heavy legs.

7. zac150

It’s the balance stuff I like, we do a lot of single leg squats and standing up single leg with weights.

The sessions are about building strength in the joints.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  8. zac150

We know

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  9. Jacko4650

Finding difficulties. I had been using one of those wobbly board vibrating thingies, mass advertised on late night tele and purchased by thousands of people who believed it would make you lose kilos if you simply stood on it. I was using it to warm up before I went jogging or riding and found it warmed up the lower legs quite well; with practice you could even down a coffee! Knees felt better in particular. Doing squats at the same time was definitely a good one for ski legs . . . . Anyhow*, many weeks of this and I'm feeling less bad than earlier on, generally doing about 60min per day of jogging, walking or riding. Weight is barely changing, despite eating bird seed and greek salads for weeks on end, so weight loss is now far less important than ski-fit and endurance. Two days ago I went for an aggressive bike ride and returned home early so thought I would stand on the vibrating thingy as a warm-down. Bad! Not sure if it was the cause of the problem but my lower body ended up with the equivalent of shin-soreness everywhere. My knees and ankles started swelling, sciatica kicked in on both sides and I felt like shite within an hour. It lasted 2 days. I set this thing to vibrate at very high revolutions, but I would definitely advise others not to do same.
    PS: I hate getting up at 5am just for the love of skiing. I am def not a morning person but when you work 7am-7pm every day, its the only window really.

10. zac150

Interesting, I have nothing that I could suggest apart from maybe spreading the lactic acid about the muscles and they reacted to the extra toxins. Just a thought.

One of the things I found when training for long triathlons was that compression pants really stopped the muscle bounce, so I ended up with less leg soreness in the days after longer runs.

One of the exercises I like is balancing on a half bosu (?) ball and doing taps on all sides. Great for warming up the ankles and strengthening the joints.

NewTurns and Jacko4650 like this.
  11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I do unweighted squats when ever I think of it, generally in reps of 50, then when I get in the shower I do 100. I maintain my normal regime but just add this in and it works a treat.

My recent couple of days in Austria are testement to this. I was on day one legs after finishing last season with a spectacular dismount in NZ.

I managed to keep up with the crew of Austrian, German, Japanese & American, some of whom were on day 50 legs. Well not quite true, on the first day I called it quits at 3:30pm and they skied a couple of extra runs but I also was giving away 10 years on the younguns as well.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  12. skull

skull One of Us

would love a breakdown of the sessions and time and days.

I can't do single leg squats or pistols due to knees (or lack of - doesn't affect my skiing luckily)

I also already do a considerable amount of gym, running, riding, martial arts, so want to look at the sessions to determine if it would suit me or not

13. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

These sort of threads always make me laugh ......
    Get fit for skiing
    Get fit for summer
    Get fit for trekking Milford track
    etc etc etc
    Why not just change your lifestyle and make exercise and diet part of your life ?????
    You will live longer
    Look better
    Feel better
    Rant over .......

DPS Driver likes this.
  14. zac150

It’s not about that at all!

Yeah sure live a healthy lifestyle, totally agree and then do specifics to help your body cope with what you have planned coming up.

I.e live a healthy lifestyle, I plan to run a marathon so will do some specific training. I plan to spend 40 days on snow tele skiing so yeah I want to work on my balance and joint strength.

15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/been-there-done-that.83889/#post-3821304
    :whistle::whistle:

chicski likes this.
  16. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Ha !

This is a ski specific gym season. I've been doing them for a number of seasons now. They make a big difference to leg and core strength, particularly when you combine them with an hour cycle home over hills as well. Not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to ski straight out of our homes ;)

17. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Maybe I am luckier than some :p but I have also been going to normal gyms for a lot of years , and have seen the explosion of different workout programs . ALL BASED on proven training protocols . It's a joke
    Sure if you are going to run a marathon you do need to have specific training goals/program , but just to go skiing you can do all the stuff mentioned in your stock standard gym.

#17 Nozawaman, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  18. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Don't even need a gym. Weights yeah for certain exercises but not necessarily a gym.

There are a myriad of body weight bearing exercises whereby you don't even need weights to achieve a general well being and maintain muscle tone.

Nozawaman likes this.