1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski from top of Merritts to Perisher?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by martinbudden, May 20, 2013.

1. martinbudden

martinbudden Hard Yards

Last year I shared a chair up Merritts with a guy who was on his way to Perisher, skiing backcountry. He had downhill skis and said he'd done it before. Does anyone know how difficult it is to do this?

2. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Did he have skins? If not, it would be quite a bit of walking.

3. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

That's a hell of a trip. In a straight line it's 7km to Charlottes and 13 km to Perisher from the top of merritts according to google earth, and an awful lot of it isn't downhill.

You'd want to set out before lunch!

4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

In addition, weather including strong winds and whiteouts are a huge concern and can develop withjn a very short time.

5. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

you'd stay on the ramshead range rather than head into charlottes I figure, scoot across the top of TV and slog up onto wheatley.

6. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

as some of you may recall, my son and I walked from Eagles Nest to just short of Charlotte Pass and return, wearing snowshoes and carrying boards. Total distance was just under 17km and including stops for boarding, lunch etc we were out for about 9 hours. fortunately the walk was relatively flat.

7. sbm

sbm One of Us

I skied from Eagle's Nest to Charlotte Pass on skis with alpine touring bindings last year to meet some friends. Got the first lift up at 8:30, skinned up to the Kosci lookout, downhill following the pole line to the Kosci road, then skate down the road and a final short hike up to the actual Charlotte Pass. I was sitting out the front of the Chalet having a drink by 10.

However that's only halfway there. Continuing on to the Perisher Gap/base of Eyre T-bar would at at least another hour, it's a pretty big trip!

The thing is, even for the same fitness levels, someone who is practiced and familiar with their equipment and with uphill skiing will be an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE faster than a beginner.

For example, that same day, a couple of the friends I was meeting at CP decided to go XC skiing for the first time and ski over from Perisher, roughly the same distance. They left an hour before I did (7:30) and didn't arrive until nearly lunchtime!