1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski length question

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kent Knotek, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Kent Knotek

Kent Knotek First Runs

I'm buying my first pair of twin tip skis, I'm going with the line honey badgers to try park skiing. They have them in 172 and 177 lengths and I was wondering if it makes much difference between the two sizes. I'm 5'10 190lbs

2. Spence

Spence Hard Yards

Hello KK. I am surprised that no one has jumped on this thread to offer you advise. I am knew to rockered/early rise, twin tip skis myself. I have been doing lots of reading and asking around regarding ski length. I have just purchased two new pairs of skis (one pair arrived this afternoon). Both of my choices, one pair "all mountain" and one pair "powder" specific are rockered, early rise and with the powder ski, slight twin tip. My research has led me to understand that weight is way more significant that it used to be in the days of long skinny skis. I am about your weight and a couple of cm shorter (174cm). I was expecting to go with a 170cm for my all mountain and 180cm for my powder ski (more surface area). What I went with was 177cm all mountain and 184cm powder.
    As both of these skis have rocker/camber/rocker profiles they have shorter "effective edges" than their length would suggest. My powder skis which arrived this afternoon have a fair amount of rocker and when I place them "base to base" the contact points are a good 20-25 cm down from the tip and 10-15 cm up from the tails. So 30-40 cm of the ski length is not in contact with the snow on the un-weighted ski. So the "effective edge" on my 184cm ski is around 150cm. The additional length offers stability. My current ski is 167cm traditional "cambered" ski. It skis very "neutral" but when I have had it in powder/fresh snow or when driving the tips hard I have found myself pitching forward and almost going over the "handle bars". I do have concerns about their manoeuvrability in tight spots but again my reading is that the tip and tail rocker helps the skis pivot underfoot and turn tighter.
    All of this is theoretical as I have not had a chance to ski them yet (going down the week of the 20th July) but I have read and listend to not much else for the last few months. As I say I am definitely not any kind of expert on this and it may yet prove that I have made the wrong choice regarding ski length, so those more knowledgeable please join the conversation.
    All the best with your choice mate.

3. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If there for the park, go the short ones.

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Depends on a few things.
    • Are you interested in skiing them anywhere else on the mountain?
    • How old are you?
    • How aggressive a skier are you?
    • How low do you wear your pants?
    • How good a skier are you?
    • Are you more interested in air time or a more all round park performer?
    • When you go for air, how big do you go?
    Answer these things and I may be able to help.

Tanuki likes this.
  5. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I had two sets of park ski's back when i was skiing full time, i had a 169cm set of 1080's that where an all rounder but very much became a jib ski, and a set of 180cm rossi scratch center mounted, which became a pipe and big park ski.

I actually wish i had the center mount on the shorter ski and standard on the longer ski but i got them and was skiing park before center mount was happening, at 169cm standard mount there really isn't much ski behind your heel landing switch, fine on little jumps and jibs but a little hair raising on 50-60ft table tops.

If this is purely a park ski i'd go the shorter one and center mount, if its not purely a park ski i'd standard mount and then its a bit harder to say but maybe the longer ski.

6. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Easy answer.

Which ever pair comes to the top of ya head.
    Don’t over think it and do go to short, they’ll fell like toothpicks under ya feet.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Spence

Spence Hard Yards

azzski likes this.
  8. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Average height and a little above average weight. You'd probably be looking at either the middle-sized or second longest ski in any given model.

You say these will be your first twin tips. Do you own any other skis?