Ski Lessons in France

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Kopite, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

So I'm taking the family out in January for thier first taste of the Alps, planning on heading to Val Thorens, and looking at lessons right now. What a pain.

So it seems in France there's not really much like Perisher Kids, with kids lessons either being morning or afternoon, meaning the need to entertain the kids for 2 hours over lunch. Also you book in for 5 days, 6 days or nothing. The alternative that I was offered was to go for all day private lessons - with a seperate instructor for each kid and my wife - a slight blow out in the budget!

Am I doing it wrong? Anybody got any experience/advise on lessons over there?

2. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

I have used private instructors before where we mixed and matched. So the plus one would be instructed for the morning and I'd ski with the kids and the in the afternoon the instructor would take the kids. Note this wasn't organised through a ski school, rather a private instructor.

Kopite likes this.
  3. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

The kids are too far appart in skill level for that I think - one who's racing down blues, another who's only just out of the gates at Perisher kids.

4. Hyst

Hyst One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Have you tried Evolution2?

Age?

Kopite likes this.
  5. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

6 and 7. I’ll try them. So far I’ve looked at ESF and Prosneige

6. johnski

johnski Hard Yards

There are usually a number of ski schools at the bigger resorts in France, ESF, Ski Oxygen, Evolution 2 etc, resort websites sometimes only link to ESF. Be aware that kids ski class numbers at ESF are bigger than those in Australia.

Oxygen is well regarded. They do half day or full day kids ski lessons in VT - Also has a lunch club from 11:30am to 2pm after morning ski lessons, more expensive than ESF but worth it.

Key thing when booking any ski school in France is to request English lessons when booking - they will often have dedicated English speaking classes in the bigger resorts or sometimes run mixed French/English.

https://www.oxygene.ski/product-cat...rens-lessons/val-thorens-children-ski-groups/

Kopite, LaNeige and Hyst like this.
  7. Hyst

Hyst One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

ESF has always been a bit infexible and like french education system - which not is like anglo saxons understanding of teaching of children.

However I have used ESF as one to one for adults as well and worked out very well.

Because this ESF infexibility a number of ski school have emerged the many later years, so they should be able go give you somewhat what you look for.

Oxygene looks interesting - but do not know about them.

Kopite likes this.
  8. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

I've used ESF before for me and had a great time, but that was a private and I'd researched and requested a specific instructor. I'll get in touch with Oxygene, also Prosneige came back over night and seem to be happy to be flexible around things, so looks like there's a few options now. ESF again replied over night and worked out that the difference between classes and privates for whatr I wanted was 'only' 1300 euro! Nice of them to do the maths for me and point out it's only the cost of a small car for 4 days of lessons for a couple of kids....

9. DVP

DVP Hard Yards

I've mentioned them several times but look at ski Esprit. Next season will be our fifth trip with them and it's great value when you add up all of the other costs involved in an alpine ski holiday. They don't have any accommodation in VT but have in Meribel (which will be less bleak in January anyway).

Have a look and let me know if you have any questions

10. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

I looked at getting it all done for me but found accomodation killed us compared to going via air BnB and getting a better option.

On the ski school, looks like Prosneige will be the go. They’ve been great building an itinerary for me. Other schools seem almost to shut down outside of school holidays - I’m thinking it’s less common for kids to travel out of holiday times in Europe.

11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

You could try BASS (British Alpine Ski School). They may have more flexible options.

12. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

We're going Prosneige. None of the other schools outside of them and ESF were running kids programmes that week. To be fair Prosneiege have done us a great deal and pretty much accomodated what we are after. They also get some great writeups on Tripadvisor and from a few people on Snowheads.

For anyone more enterprising than me I'd say there's a gap in the market for a more flexible Perisher Kids style of ski school over there!

13. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

Just saw this and good info, but Prosneige are only in France. I'll be in Champery, Switzerland and will need ski school for an 12 yr old. My good fortune is that he speaks French so can go either way language wise. Any suggestions?

14. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Grab a helicopter over to Avoriaz for lessons. It's probably cheaper than Swiss lessons!

15. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

yes i wondered why the group we are going with chose this area. Not having skied in the area, it is a bit of a pain with only what looks to be a single gondola up into the basin. Anyway I'll keep looking.

16. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Hint : ski over to France for lunch!

You're a bit out of the way tucked in that little corner but it's a quick trip over to Les Crosets and from there you can fan out over the whole Portes du Soleil. Make sure you do the "big circuit" over to Avoriaz, Les Lindarets, Chatel, Morgins and back via Les Crosets. Take in the view from the top of Chatel - you can see Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn at the same time.

Another hint to save money - don't buy a full PDS ticket every day. You can get cheaper restricted tickets for individual areas and also 5 hour and late start passes. If you work it right you can save 20-30% on lift tickets that way.

breedlee likes this.
  17. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

Cheers for that info I'll tuck it away and pull it out when needed (particularly the ticket info)!!

18. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Here's this season's lift prices. The full PDS is the only one applicable to you as you have to use the Swiss lifts to get to Avoriaz.

Here's the Swiss version with CHF prices and, further down, the Swiss-side-only prices.

Next time, stay in Morzine. It's much more central and you can access Les Gets easily from there as well. You'd have to go very hard at it to ski from Champoussin across to Mt Chery and back in a day. And it's in Franc€, not $$$witzerland.

19. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

Cheers for this. Not my selection unfortunately. The group I am travelling with stayed in Morzine last year, but the place they rented is booked for the period we are travelling. Why he chose Champery I will find out over a beer or two!!