1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski lift makers plates photos wanted.

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Bogong, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Some of you may know that I contribute to a list of the 460 ski lifts that have operated in Australia. As part of an upgrade we are looking for photos of makers plates or other manufacturers branding, especially for less common brands and minor lifts that are often overlooked like carpets.

So if you see one while skiing, please whip out your phone and take a photo. Photographers of any happy snaps that are published will get a credit. Thanks.

This is the sort of thing we're looking for.

[​IMG]
    Above. Makers plate of an Australian made chairlift in Tasmania.
    Below. Australia's only Leitner lift, the old Big Dipper at Falls Creek.
    [​IMG]

Especially interested in photos of makers branding on lifts like:
    • Lakeside Poma at Falls (made by Montaz Mautino)
    • Boggy Creek at Buller (made by McCallum Engineering)
    • New Canyon platter at Buller (made by Sunkid)
    • Mt Perisher Double (made by GMD Mueller)
    • Rope tows at Perisher (made by Bruckschloegl)
    • Merritts double chair at Thredbo (made by Riblet)
    • Giblin and Big E at Ben Lomond made by Yac.
    • Carpets at all resorts made by companies like Team Service and Sunkid
    But if an especially clear or scenic shot of a more common makers branding like Poma or Dopp is submitted, there's a good chance that will be published on the website too.

Rimey and CarveMan like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Can do Lakeside for you.

And I think the new Eagle Express at Falls is a Leitner. Want that too?

3. Bogong

Ta Ziggy. If any branding survives on Lakeside it would be great to see a picture of it.

I haven't checked new Eagle. It was made by Leitner-Poma (the two companies merged in 2000) and in America their products are always branded as Leitner Poma. But in Europe some of their operations are still run separately. Recent Australian lifts from that company have come from North America so I was expecting it to be a Leitner-Poma, but if Eagle was made in Europe, then it could also be labeled as just Leitner or Poma.

[​IMG] . [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ziggy

Not sure what the plaque says. The painted sign on the roof says Leitner IIRC.

Bogong likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Leitner Poma it is.
    Couldn't find a plaque on Towers top or bottom.

Bogong likes this.
  6. Bogong

Thanks Ziggy, most lifts had plaques when new, but Towers is 20 years old and Lakeside is 43 and they've both received lots of punishment, painting, renovation, etc. So I'm not surprised that you couldn't find anything indicating Towers provenance. It's even less likely that there will be anything surviving on Lakeside to show the unusual French company that made it.

That nice Australasian Ropeways plaque above is in a sheltered location at Cataract Gorge and I suspect the chairlift owners have made an effort to keep the plaque looking snappy for the past 47 years.

Anyway, I'll add the pic to the webpage in a week or two as part of a minor revamp. I'll credit it to 'Ziggy' unless you PM me a real name.

Ziggy likes this.
  7. Hanz Onyawaif

Hanz Onyawaif Hard Yards

8. Bogong

Thanks Hanz. That is the sort of obscure thing I've been chasing. The story of those two chairlifts is both amazing and tragic. For the past 12 years I've been trying to untangle which companies made them. So far I had three different companies, but Borg Warner makes four. All I know about B-W is that they were an American based fabricator and engine builder who took over some large Australian foundries.

In the next few weeks I'll follow it up and see if I can find some leads based on the info in that photo.

Chaeron and Hanz Onyawaif like this.
  9. Hanz Onyawaif

Hanz Onyawaif Hard Yards

Hi Bogong
    Do you have Taronga Zoo's gondola?
    I could try & get that too if it helps.

10. Bogong

Thanks, I'd be very interested in seeing any branding on tourist lifts like the gondola at Taronga, as while I've been to all the ski areas in Australia, I haven't seen that many tourist lifts and they're not the sort of thing people send me happy snaps of.

Actually if people have any photos of old things like the former chairlifts at showgrounds in state capitals, they would be especially appreciated, no matter how rough the photos are.

11. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

12. Bogong

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. The odds of that Mueller makers plate on Australia's oldest chairlift surviving for 60 years in those harsh conditions and through many lift renovations are tiny. Even though it's been painted over, it's still a great find.

Rather than put it off until this summer when the lift makers section of the ski lifts list will be further revised and rearranged, I uploaded it straight away. Credited to onlybackscratchers, PM me if you want another name.

EDIT. While I was at it, I also added Ziggy's pic of Falls Creeks Eagle quad to section 3 of the ski lift list. Ditto about PMing me a real name if preferred on the credit.

#12 Bogong, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Onlybackscratchers likes this.
  13. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Onlybackscratchers deserves extra credit, as that chair has not even been running this week, so has had to hike over to look and get the photo:thumbs:

14. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Another one from today, not sure if this one is much help seems more like a motor tag. From the home rope tow near the base of Leichhardt Quad.

@robbo mcs The little walk across wasn't a problem, however the Towies on the triple chair wanted to know what I was up to.

skifree likes this.
  15. Bogong

Sadly, neither I nor my collaborators have much knowledge of engine makers, although as most ski lifts at most resorts are electric these days, that may be a rare surviving antique for all I know.

But I'm still rather chuffed at the pic of that 60 year old Mueller plate on the Mt P double. In the near future when it is inevitably demolished, I'd like to get my hands on the plate and after stripping the white paint off it, shine it up with some brasso like the one on the Launceston chairlift.

[​IMG]

skifree and Onlybackscratchers like this.
  16. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Attached Files:

Hanz Onyawaif likes this.
  17. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This is the best I could find on the Belle Vista lift station/ restaurant site.

The lift makers plate was not about, maybe it disappeared when the army blew the place up.

Dunno why the pics loaded the way they have.

Bogong likes this.
  18. Hanz Onyawaif

Hanz Onyawaif Hard Yards

Hi Bogong, I found this while looking at an old photo of F1 racing cars and this was in the comments.
    It might help to understand the origins of Borg Warner...
    FYI, KKK changed to Schwitzer and is now BorgWarner. BW EFR turbos are some of the best in the business so while the name changed, their quality hasnt.
    Not sure if it helps but thought it might be good to know...

Bogong likes this.
  19. Bogong

Borg-Warner appears to have taken over companies in every possible field of mechanical engineering and fabrication.

skifree likes this.