Question Ski-lift ticket pricing

thomasdo1

First Runs
Mar 17, 2022
I'm in the process of planning the budget for my snow trip this year. I distinctly remember last year that ski lift day passes were $180 per day during the peak winter days, but does anyone remember the price for the non-peak lift tickets? My memory is blurry but I think it was around $100 per day.

My trip will be from 8-10th July and was wondering if this would fall into the non-peak pricing or not.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Would moving it to 1st-3rd July be better? I distinctly remember from last year that there was a specific date that any day after this was $180 per day.

Sorry, I'm SA, we need a NSW with school kids to advise.

Snowmaker7

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Bowral, NSW
For both the periods you are talking about I believe tickets were $139 Tues, Wed and Thurs. Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon were $169 if my memory serves me correctly. Someone may be able to clarify.

NathanF

Addicted
Jun 11, 2011
As of today I'm anxiously awaiting the posting of the price for Perisher's Over 70s season pass. :D
$209 based on the price the released today. ...and if Perisher/Vail tickets prices are similar to that of Thredbo, the price of the over 70s season pass will be less than the price of a normal single day ticket and a hamburger. :crap:

Reactions: SnowRabbit
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I would be very surprised if day tickets will be available this year, particularly in peak season.

• Haha
Reactions: Me+3

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I would be very surprised if day tickets will be available this year, particularly in peak season.
what's that based on?
are you just referring to Perisher or all the Vail trio?

do you mean walk-up tickets or all single day tickets, even if pre-purchased?

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
what's that based on?
are you just referring to Perisher or all the Vail trio?

do you mean walk-up tickets or all single day tickets, even if pre-purchased?
Just Perisher according to my source, based on the number of season passes already sold.

Reactions: currawong

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

That would lead to a whole host of contract issues given that one of the benefits of the Epic Australia Pass is the 6 Bring a Mate vouchers for up to 50% off a day pass.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
That would lead to a whole host of contract issues given that one of the benefits of the Epic Australia Pass is the 6 Bring a Mate vouchers for up to 50% off a day pass.
That will just add to the tens of thousands of lawsuits Vail is facing in the US over the same issue.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Just Perisher according to my source, based on the number of season passes already sold.
do you think they are following thredbo's example of trying to avoid overcrowding or just pressuring people to commit to at least multi-day passes?

and to do it with no warning is really crap. people who have paid for accom while planning to pick their days have every right to be furious.

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
That will just add to the tens of thousands of lawsuits Vail is facing in the US over the same issue.

Well, I'm already planning in advance to try it on with them in relation to lesson pricing for my non-Epic Pass holding kid, since the benefits on the website simply state that the Epic Aus Pass gives 20% off lessons at Hotham - nothing specifying that they have to be lessons for the passholder.
"Well, it's implied!" - OK, so does the 15% discount at food locations only apply to the passholder too? If I order 4 meals do I only get to pick one to receive the discount? Because the same or similar language is used on both discounts!

Reactions: Tanuki
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
When Mt Blue Cow first opened they sold kilometre tickets. Pleasant Valley and The Ridge counted as 2km, the other three chaitrlifts counted as 1km.

Pretty revolutionary for 1987.
Also a pain in the arse, with that ticket on a long elastic strap snapping back out of the machine, and going flappity flap in your face in the wind.

Last edited:

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Also a pain in the arse, with that ticket on a long elastic strap snapping back out of the machine, and going flapping flap in your face in the wind.
Yes, the mechanics weren't so hot but the concept was a good one, particularly for beginners. IIRC they also had hourly, 3hourly, morning and afternoon tickets too. It would work much better with the RFID system.

Reactions: GlenH and currawong

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Also a pain in the arse, with that ticket on a long elastic strap snapping back out of the machine, and going flapping flap in your face in the wind.
That's right, and the funniest thing was watching people finish a run, arrive at the gates and not be able to figure out how far behind their back the ticket had wound itself.

Reactions: iagreewithhim

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
That's right, and the funniest thing was watching people finish a run, arrive at the gates and not be able to figure out how far behind their back the ticket had wound itself.
That's what chest pockets were for.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Yes, the mechanics weren't so hot but the concept was a good one, particularly for beginners. IIRC they also had hourly, 3hourly, morning and afternoon tickets too. It would work much better with the RFID system.
Indeed, and the cool thing about the kilometre ticket was that the same ticket could be used throughout the season until it expired.

I remember taking a group of friends to introduce them to Mt Blue Cow one morning and we all bought an AM ticket which expired whilst we were having lunch. Then I put them all through Pleasant Valley on my kilometre ticket and we skied back to Perisher without needing another lift.

Ah, those were the days.

davec1

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2016
I'm in the process of planning the budget for my snow trip this year. I distinctly remember last year that ski lift day passes were $180 per day during the peak winter days, but does anyone remember the price for the non-peak lift tickets? My memory is blurry but I think it was around $100 per day.

My trip will be from 8-10th July and was wondering if this would fall into the non-peak pricing or not.

Here are the Adult lift prices and the dates that they changed in 2020 and 2021:

DaysFrom 25 JuneFrom 24 AugFrom 6 Sept
1​
180​
180​
180​
2​
360​
259​
259​
3​
$517​
$372​
$344​
4​
$660​
$492​
455​
5​
$805​
$558​
507​
6​
$964​
$694​
642​
7​
$1,121​
$808​
747​

2020 - these are the changes in prices leading up to and including the school holidays. I dont have 1 and 2 day passes info.
Days24 June - 26 June27 June - 3 July4 July - 19 July
3​
$349​
$433​
498​
4​
$454​
$574​
631​
5​
$561​
$705​
776​
6​
$670​
$843​
927​
7​
$780​
$981​
1079​

NathanF

Addicted
Jun 11, 2011
Just to add to the above (the following were during peak season (late July/early August but not school holidays) and purchased more than 7 days in advance):
  • 2019: 5.5 in 7 days - $522 or $559 with (5) lessons from anywhere other than Front Valley
  • 2021: 5 days (not sure if it was 5.5 in 7 or not) - $558 or $598 with (5) lessons from anywhere other than Front Valley

Reactions: Retro2

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Lift passes and lessons have just gone live (because Friday afternoon is the best time for that, *obviously*)

As anticipated, a 7 day pass at Perisher in the school holidays is more than the current adult Epic Aus Pass pricing - $1,177 vs $999. At Hotham it's only slightly cheaper ($939)

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Is there any limit on the supply of lift passes this year does anyone know - can they actually sell out for peak days at Perisher? We have booked accommodation to come from VIC for interschools in September and not sure if I need to get lift tickets now they are available or if I can just wait until August to buy them. I presume the prices listed on the website won't go up and they are set at those levels for the season now?

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Is there any limit on the supply of lift passes this year does anyone know - can they actually sell out for peak days at Perisher? We have booked accommodation to come from VIC for interschools in September and not sure if I need to get lift tickets now they are available or if I can just wait until August to buy them. I presume the prices listed on the website won't go up and they are set at those levels for the season now?
Interschools usually has discounted pricing for participants and team managers.

Reactions: blueandwhite

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Well, I'm already planning in advance to try it on with them in relation to lesson pricing for my non-Epic Pass holding kid, since the benefits on the website simply state that the Epic Aus Pass gives 20% off lessons at Hotham - nothing specifying that they have to be lessons for the passholder.
"Well, it's implied!" - OK, so does the 15% discount at food locations only apply to the passholder too? If I order 4 meals do I only get to pick one to receive the discount? Because the same or similar language is used on both discounts!
Fight the good fight. Please don't go broke doing it though.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Fight the good fight. Please don't go broke doing it though.

As it turned out it was cheaper for me to just buy an Epic Aus Pass for him and then buy his lessons - mainly because of how horribly Hotham are price gouging for lessons compared to Perisher, but that's by the by.

Reactions: Tanuki

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
We're bringing a newbie with us to Falls next week.
We all have EPIC passes.
I shared lift ticket information to said newbie a few weeks ago to help with budgeting.

"How much is a day ticket?"
"How long is a piece of string?"

A 5 day adult ticket from Monday is currently selling at $694
On 17 July when I shared the link, the same 5 day ticket was $597

I still can't believe VAIL are allowed to keep modifying the price of a ticket throughout the season.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Haha
Reactions: Tanuki and nezumi

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
We all have EPIC passes.
I shared lift ticket information to said newbie a few weeks ago to help with budgeting.

I still can't believe VAIL are allowed to keep modifying the price of a ticket throughout the season.

Isn't it fairly predictable and reasonable that it gets more expensive the closer to the date you get? You get to be more confident in the condition of the mountain and, as a result, pay more for the privilege.

Same applies to the epic pass so I'm surprised this is a new concept to you. Unless you're joking about it being unreasonable...?

Reactions: nezumi

Sage O

Like the herb, Hutte dweller
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
We all have EPIC passes.

EPIC dynamic pricing LOL

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Isn't it fairly predictable and reasonable that it gets more expensive the closer to the date you get? You get to be more confident in the condition of the mountain and, as a result, pay more for the privilege.

Same applies to the epic pass so I'm surprised this is a new concept to you. Unless you're joking about it being unreasonable...?
You have shares in VAIL I can only assume.

Please explain why you think it is reasonable that it gets more expensive the closer to the date you get.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

Please explain why you think it is reasonable that it gets more expensive the closer to the date you get.

Simple - it's not getting more expensive, the discount to encourage early commitment is being withdrawn.

It's the same with so many other things. If you want to buy it at short notice, then you pay more for the convenience than buying early.

Why is it reasonable that a 1.25L bottle of cola costs $1.50 at the super market, but $5.00 at KFC - and $6 for a glass at a restaurant?
Why is it reasonable that booking a hotel room for August in January is far cheaper than booking the same room in July?

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Simple - it's not getting more expensive, the discount to encourage early commitment is being withdrawn.

It's the same with so many other things. If you want to buy it at short notice, then you pay more for the convenience than buying early.

Why is it reasonable that a 1.25L bottle of cola costs $1.50 at the super market, but $5.00 at KFC - and $6 for a glass at a restaurant?
Why is it reasonable that booking a hotel room for August in January is far cheaper than booking the same room in July?
Yeah, your explanation is right on. It's not getting more expensive, the earlybird discount is just getting less.

Reactions: Chookfooter

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Yeah, your explanation is right on. It's not getting more expensive, the earlybird discount is just getting less.

It's not like they're even being subtle or sneaky about it either. There are plenty of things that I take issue with regarding ski ticket pricing, including things like lesson cost and structure, lift pass cost, and other significant factors not being known at the time accommodation bookings open (will we offer lessons for your kid's age group this year? Will they be full day, or half day? Book your stay, then find out in 3 months' time!) - but a 5 day lift pass that says "Buy now and save $176" is hardly being deceptive.

Reactions: NightSky

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
I don't think I've ever even been to a Vail resort.. Maybe Perisher, but that may have still been before it was bought out.
I think other people explained this part. Committing to something a long way out guarantees that you will spend that money in comparison to possibly not spending the money later due to changes in circumstances. Hence, you get to spend less since you're paying upfront. As outlined in other posts, this applies to a range of other services.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I just had a look at Mt Buller ticket pricing $40 cheaper for 2 day weekend pass $368 vs $408 for Perisher vs $348 for Falls for the 6th Aug

So pretty much equal, so not a Vail thing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using