Ski lodge membership interest

CassD

Hard Yards
May 3, 2020
Sydney
Hi there,
Anyone out there know of ski lodge membership for Thredbo or Perisher pls? I am interested in purchasing.

Please PM me!
Cheers,
Cas

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
There have been a few threads on this sort of thing in the past. Club lodges come in a huge number of different types, so it helps to have thought about just what you want.

If you don't have friends who are already in a club lodge, finding the right club involves defining precisely what you are looking for:
  • Which mountain or mountains you want accommodation on.
  • What standard of accommodation you want, there are club lodges ranging from backpacker hostel standard right through to 5+ star level. (Nicer clubs cost more.)
  • What sort of 'personality' and atmosphere you are looking for. One where people look after themselves and are fairly self contained, or a lodge that is more family focused and interactive with people cooking for each other and babysitting each others kids. Many clubs are half way between those.
  • Bookings. How long can you stay, how many guests can you take, etc.
  • Background. Most clubs just accept new members who seem nice and get along with existing members, but some have their roots in a particular trade or profession, ethnic group, school, etc. Sometimes people not from that background can feel slightly left out.
  • Member to bed ratio. Clubs with a high member to bed ratio usually have lower joining fees and annual membership fees but occasionally it can be hard to get a room when you want to stay there. Clubs with a lower member to bed ratio often cost more, but it's pretty easy to get a room when you want one.
No doubt people can add other characteristics of club lodges to this list. But once you've worked out what you want, start asking around and looking at club websites and it will be easier to reject or shortlist particular clubs.

CassD

Hard Yards
May 3, 2020
Sydney
Thanks for the reply guys - much appreciated! I would prefer on snow if I can and will start checking out a few online.... if anyone hears of anyone selling, let me know!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Some more detailed considerations to add to @Bogong's excellent list
  • Check out the booking rules and see if they give you the flexibility or certainty that you need and if there are restrictions that don't suit you, eg no children, no weekend bookings till the last minute
  • In what circumstances would you be sharing rooms with strangers
  • Do working bee arrangements suit you
  • Are there rostered chores that you are obliged to do during your stay
  • What are the annual fees even when you don't stay
  • What are the rules about selling a membership? How much of the price is not recoverable? How long had it taken members to sell in the last few years?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CassD

Hard Yards
May 3, 2020
Sydney
I am still looking for lodge membership actually so I thought I would Bump this up! Anyone selling pls PM me

Oz_Pete

First Runs
Jul 20, 2021
Hi there,
Anyone out there know of ski lodge membership for Thredbo or Perisher pls? I am interested in purchasing.

Please PM me!
Cheers,
Cas
I have one at the Currawong Lodge in Thredbo if you are still looking ... July 2021

Mahala

First Runs
Aug 12, 2021
I am still looking for lodge membership actually so I thought I would Bump this up! Anyone selling pls PM me
Hi @CassD, did you have any luck? I'm also looking, so would be great to hear if you found any availability. I know that Trissana at North Perisher have memberships for sale. (However they don't accept bookings with children during the main season so that doesn't work for me.)

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
One thing to bear in mind is lodges have faced two years of bugger all revenue. Some of the clubs which are more precariously placed financially may need to make a call on members in some way over the next year or two.

Reactions: currawong and skull

KP ski

First Runs
Nov 18, 2021
Hi there,

Please PM me!
Cheers,
Cas
Hello. I saw your earlier interest in purchace of a lodge mebership dated May 2021. I am considering selling a membership very a premier/central postition in Perisher. If you are still interested please contact me

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hi @CassD, did you have any luck? I'm also looking, so would be great to hear if you found any availability. I know that Trissana at North Perisher have memberships for sale. (However they don't accept bookings with children during the main season so that doesn't work for me.)
That’s a really outdated practice - no children in the winter peak.

I wonder how they expect new, younger members (young families) to join and rejuvenate the club?

Or maybe that that’s not their worry? Too popular to care?

Reactions: nezumi

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
That’s a really outdated practice - no children in the winter peak.

I wonder how they expect new, younger members (young families) to join and rejuvenate the club?

Or maybe that that’s not their worry? Too popular to care?
Clubs are so diverse. As long as you know the rules when you join then choice is good.

Clubs that restrict children are a taking a significant risk on maintaining active members. But as long as they are few and there are potential members who prefer a kid free holiday then there will be demand.

IME significant interest in new memberships comes from people whose kids have grown and they are approaching retirement and expect to have more time to ski. No doubt some will prefer the oppportunity to stay in a kid free lodge.

(My club is family friendly with no restrictions on kids and the option for junior memberships)

Reactions: nezumi and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Clubs are so diverse. As long as you know the rules when you join then choice is good.

Clubs that restrict children are a taking a significant risk on maintaining active members. But as long as they are few and there are potential members who prefer a kid free holiday then there will be demand.

IME significant interest in new memberships comes from people whose kids have grown and they are approaching retirement and expect to have more time to ski. No doubt some will prefer the oppportunity to stay in a kid free lodge.

(My club is family friendly with no restrictions on kids and the option for junior memberships)

Prior to joining, our club used to be the old school (grown ups mid winter) but I think the age profile worried the committee - saw it as unsustainable.

Nowadays, families with kids aren’t discriminated against. But non-family adults aren’t placed in rooms with kids. Sensible stuff. Be similar in most/all clubs these days…

Reactions: Annabuzzy

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Prior to joining, our club used to be the old school (grown ups mid winter) but I think the age profile worried the committee - saw it as unsustainable.

Nowadays, families with kids aren’t discriminated against. But non-family adults aren’t placed in rooms with kids. Sensible stuff. Be similar in most/all clubs these days…
there are certainly clubs that forbid kids of some ages in some weeks

our club never puts kids in rooms with adults not in the same booking, unless the parents want it.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
there are certainly clubs that forbid kids of some ages in some weeks

our club never puts kids in rooms with adults not in the same booking, unless the parents want it.
A jolly good thing too. Usually best to prevent mistakes - not cure problems.
(Although many politicians don’t agree. It’s very hard to photograph a ‘prevented’ accident or non-sick person!)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass