1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski or snowboard - what made you decide?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by nezumi, May 30, 2017.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am taking my wife on her first trip to the snow this year. As she has never been before, she is tossing up whether she should ski or snowboard.

I have only been snowboarding a couple of times - once on a school trip, and once while at uni. I loved it, but never had anyone to go with. I started snowboarding simply because it was "cooler" than skiing, and my older brother (10 years) is a skier, so that meant I had to do something different.

For my wife, she has roller skated/ice skated in the past and has never tried a skateboard/surfboard/etc, so that is a lean toward skiing. She is interested in snowboarding, I think mainly because it has less equipment to worry about - no problem of crossed skis.

I am trying not to influence her either way - I realise there are pluses and minuses against each option, so - what pushed you one way or the other?

Stephen James Allen likes this.
  2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

snowboards had not been invented

Apresski, TinkyH23, rollyz and 8 others like this.
  3. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Came from bush walking through cross country skiing to telemarking so it was a natural progression on skis for me. I have heard others say that learning to snowboard can be frustrating in the early stages where as learning to ski, you can get the basics down sooner. It might come down to how tenacious she is....

4. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

Skiied first trip, second trip snowboarded.
    Never even thought about getting back on the ski's. Maybe one day when I'm a old grumpy bastard ill think about skiing again

nezumi, blowfin, Ripsnorting and 2 others like this.
  5. vibe++

vibe++ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I do both depending on conditions and who i go with. If going to the snow for 1 or 2 days i would recommend she tries skiing she will be spending a lot of time on her backside the first day of snowboarding.

nezumi and currawong like this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

ROFL
    Thanks... just sprayed coffee through my nose!
    LOL:thumbs:

The Mums from the 2 other families I went with were both competent skiers, so they encouraged me to have a go by doing a beginner snowboard lesson with me. Husband and 4 boys were also snowboarding. So despite royally sucking at it I persevered with LOTS of lessons. Lots and lots and lots of lessons :snowboarder:

nezumi and Chondro like this.
  7. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As above, but it comes down to her way of thinking while playing sport. If she has a preference for boards, skate, surf, kite etc its a no brainer, if she's more used to ball sports, skiing might be more suitable.

I heard an instructor say one time, if you have stuffed knees, ride a board, if you don't want to break everything else, ski.

8. nfip

nfip Cold 'n Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

This.
    and I've never been on a Snowboard , can't say I'm likely to.

currawong and Zimboo like this.
  9. LMB

Except I was a swimmer, ballet dancer, gymnast in my youth. You'd think that would lend to skiing. Couldn't skateboard if my life depended on it, but roller skate, ice skate, roller derby - no problem.

yep, my knees aren't great, which is why I find it hard to persevere with skiing for long. How are her knees - not just day to day, but under duress?

I think she should start with whichever appeals to her first up. If it's not working out, try the other.

Chaeron likes this.
  10. silva

silva One of Us

One other thing that may be an influence.
    If she has any problems with her feet such as high arches, previous breaks etc and is hiring gear ski boots may be a deal breaker whereas snowboard boots are more forgiving. I have high arches, a couple of often inflamed tendons and a bit of arthritis in my feet and to get a comfortable pair of ski boots would mean a lot of money, custom foot beds and boot modifications whereas snowboard boots plus my orthotics are super comfortable. I am in tears after a few hours in ski boots so snowboarding is my chosen snow sport. (Plus I love it of course)

Be202025, nezumi and LMB like this.
  11. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

When I was first deciding what to try someone told me:
    Skiing - Easy to learn, hard to master
    Snowboarding - Hard to learn, easy to master

After skiing for years, but also watching friends learn and get quite good at boarding I kind of agree. Beginner skiers can be doing blue runs on their 2nd day sometimes, but to go from that to double blacks or jumps takes a long, long time. Where as snowboarding seems to take quite a few days to get the basics down, but then once you pick it up the progression compared with skiing is much faster.

Apresski, qwill, Chaeron and 5 others like this.
  12. xuěboarder

xuěboarder One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It depends how much time you are spending around the snow
    For me I transitioned seamlessly from skating to snowboarding and was riding blues in my first few days. I have friends I've introduced to it and they hated it because they spent so much time on the ground and getting wet.
    If you are only there for a few days I would probably say ski as it's a more welcoming transition to snow sports, particularly when it comes to lifts and such

LMB and Froff Life like this.
  13. LMB

Ahhh yes.
    Lifts.
    Lifts were made for skiers.

For a beginner boarder if you've got access to detachable high speed lifts or gondolas it'll be less threatening. A slow fixed Grip lift tends to spit you off at the end and can be the undoing of the timid, whereas on skis it is far less threatening.

Be202025, qwill, nfip and 1 other person like this.
  14. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Blessed are the bignoses Ski Pass: Gold

If she can skate, then she will have a big head start on skiing, plus it will be a big help to her in getting around on the flat bits. Not having surfed or skateboarded, she will be starting from zero on a board. With a board, she will have three days of falling over and bruising herself; with skis she will be up and away by day 2 (day 1 if she has lessons).
    The boots could be an issue. If you will have daily access to the hire shop, I'd say try skiing first; if the boots give her grief, swap and try a board.
    This is my young fella at 5, first time ever on skis:

piolet likes this.
  15. Stephen James Allen

Stephen James Allen Addicted

Having been a surfer and skater, there were no options, straight to the board. On any given day in the surf at the local break you may ride a wave for 5 or 10 seconds... that is a long time at a beach break. Snowboarding is equivalent to riding a perfect wave for 5 or 10 minutes depending on length of run... Then there are the natural half pipes backcountry Annupuri Japan... riding one of these for 15 or 20 minutes in deep powder snow is just mind blowing ... you cant match this on skis. Skiing is so old school, though fun for the skier.
    Sticking with the surfing analogy, comparing skiing with boarding is like comparing wave skis (remember those) with surf boards... they don't compare.

#15 Stephen James Allen, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Hanz Onyawaif, Myazma and Chondro like this.
  16. Froff Life

A natural!

17. Stephen James Allen

Yes, boarding lessons are a MUST for there exists critical technique that you will not find on your own. Without this technique, boarding is a burden. With this technique, boarding is ... well what can one say...

Also, have a look at Travis Rice's latest boarding films; compare these with some top notch skiing film... there is no decision to be made.

18. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I skied as a kid, snowboarded as a teen and then when snowboarding was booming went back to skis, there was more work and better clients teaching skiing but i also found it suited me better, i like skiing fast

kaegee likes this.
  19. Froff Life

Lets not get into which is better. OP Wants advice

nfip likes this.
  20. Froff Life

Plus, skiers go faster ;)

21. Stephen James Allen

What was that about "Lets not get into which is better."

Yep, those who go faster come earlier.

22. Ripsnorting

Ripsnorting One of Us

Skiing is a lot less painful to learn. I'd get her on skis. She'll be getting around the mountain much more quickly than she would on a board.
    For me, powder days keep me boarding for now. I grew up skating and surfing so it just seemed more natural for me to change from skiing to boarding but I'll likely change back a bit further down the track. The ease of traversing on skis is a massive plus imo.

23. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Ahh so that's why I just took up skiing

24. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Couldn't agree more, progression is exactly as described.

Chaeron, currawong and Froff Life like this.
  25. gareth_oau

Ive been boarding for about 15 years and started because the kids wanted to board and I went with them.

Ive just started skiing as well, which means I'm bisexual.

I love both, apart from having to cart double the gear on holidays.

I recommend to people who cant decide, to assess their own personality. She will fall over heaps learning to board so she cant afford to get frustrated with all the falling/sitting and standing up

26. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Blessed are the bignoses Ski Pass: Gold

I didn't think you could afford to do either any more??

27. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Started out skiiing on a couple of school trips because our teachers were squares and snowboarding was forbidden. So I gave snowboarding a crack on my first mates trip (to NZ) at about age 21 and never looked back. Knowing how the snow worked underfoot from skiiing helped a lot I think, I was pretty confident within a few days. Helped that we had a couple of decent powder days around Queenstown on the trip to really introduce those floating on pow "feels". Didn't look back after that little taste. There is something to be said for comfy boots that are easy to walk in too. Not sure how I'd go on a pair of skis now, splitboard touring makes me feel quite clumsy :confused:

LMB and Froff Life like this.
  28. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You don't have to walk if you ski

29. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Its interesting how many friends ,including myself, who have surfed nearly all their life have no interest in boarding . Only once ..:watching a guy under a Hotham chair in hard boots .. nose nearly on the snow hammering .

30. parkmonkey

I get a closer feeling to surfing on my skis than i do on a snowboard

nfip and Froff Life like this.
  31. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yeah thats 100% what i reckon. The only similarity they share is that you are standing sideways.

piolet and parkmonkey like this.
  32. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Skating/longboarding is pretty analogous to snowboarding. Good way to get some turns in before heading overseas.:cool:

parkmonkey likes this.
  33. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep . Find most boarding like so so surfing ..: too skateboardy .
    Not that there is anything wrong with that :whistle:

34. parkmonkey

Skateboarding is the bridge between the two
    Surfing - skateboarding - snowboarding

Zimboo likes this.
  35. parkmonkey

Skiing you can really drive the outside ski through the turn for me is a lot more like driving a surf turn off the back foot

36. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

We live by the ocean, all surf (some better than others). I started skiing before snowboards came along, so never really wanted to or had the time to spend sitting on my arse learning to snowboard. Started our kids off with skiing, the deal was learn to ski very well, then go to snowboarding if you want so you can do both. I knew they would pick up snowboarding very fast, as they both surf and skate. Son transitioned to snowboarding and never came back, daughter still on skis. No rules, what ever rocks your boat. I agree with parkmonkey about the drive you get from skiing coming out of the turn, very similar to surfing.

Chaeron, nfip, Froff Life and 2 others like this.
  37. SnowflakesRule

SnowflakesRule Hard Yards

Personal opinion, having attempted both, is that skiing is more forgiving on the beginner and an awful lot easier getting on and off the lifts (even though my very first time on the chairlifts at Thredbo found me crashing out and needing to be helped up by the very kind lift attendant - three times in a row!) :(

I started with skiing, don't know that I even thought about snowboarding back then. With slighty iffy knees I eventually tried snowboarding which I kind of liked, definitely easier on the knees - except the learning curve. For me, every little distraction - mainly in the form of "Hello Mummy!" - sent me crashing to the ground after catching the wrong edge. I needed to really concentrate in the start. Went back to skiing (missing too much of the little one learning to ski) and persevered with some alterations and changes of length eventually finding what suited me.

Depending on how long you're going for will make a difference. If it's only a few days,even a week, unless she has a major draw to snowboarding, I'd say ski. It should get her up and running a whole lot quick and enjoy things more. If you're going for longer she could always try both and see which ones she feels more in tune with. This is under the assumption she's renting equipment.

And if she chooses boarding - get some padding! The bruises can be huge!

Good luck.

Budgiesmuggler and currawong like this.
  38. Hully

Hully One of Us

nezumi likes this.
  39. SkiMountaineer

SkiMountaineer One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Same

nezumi likes this.
  40. nfip

Pretty much sums up my thoughts / experience.
    D16 learnt to ski at 3 yrs old.
    Then snowboard for last 3,4 or 5 years.
    Now talking about getting back on to skiis this year.
    I think there has always been a lot of surfing in my approach to the mountain.
    Some one said above you cant get same feel (in the Annupuri bowls ) on skis. I call bs on that. from experience.
    It is odd tho I have never taken the step to snowboard after all of my life surfing and skateboarding.
    I think it is because I have an image and reputation to protect. ;)

Froff Life and Zimboo like this.
  41. nfip

42. nfip

Yep. Big roundhouse cutties.
    came into being with the carve ski / parabolic tech.

parkmonkey likes this.
  43. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Started on the snow many moons ago while being a fanatical surfer. Back then apart from skis the only alternatives were weird ideas such as "Wintersticks" and other strange and impractical devices that were banned from lifted slopes so skis were the only option. We learned how to try the biggest cut back etc. and tried to "surf" the slopes on skis depending on the terrain, to most replicate surfing. If snowboards were around back then, I probably would have jumped at one, but in hindsight, glad I ski as many boarders now (and competition surfers) can appear sometimes to replicate skate park conditions rather than reading the lay of the land.
    Sorry about the rant and I have no gripes at all with boarders, It's my reason I ski. As long as you love either, enjoy.

Froff Life likes this.
  44. expatgm

expatgm Addicted

Why yes it's perfectly obvious

45. gareth_oau

Nikki has me working as a gigolo to make some extra pocket money

iagreewithhim and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  46. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Way back in the late stoneage at the age of 2 my mother pushed me down a hill on skis , cant remember it myself , such is the Finnish way. I kept skiing only , and loving it until my own kids ( who also got the same push down a hill at about age 3) wanted to learn how to board. So I tried it with them and found it was a bit of fun and quite a lot of fun in the right conditions. I didn't find it hard to adjust to a board and still break out a board every now and then just for laughs , probably 90% ski / 10% board over a season.
    Why do I prefer skiing over boarding even though I find them both fun ? 2 reasons really.
    1. Outright speed , boards are ok but skis are better. If I just want to junk around then ok , lets board but if I feel the need for speed then there is only 1 option.
    2. As someone already mentioned the lines you take down a hill are very different and to be honest and its just my opinion , the ski lines just feel more in tune with a hill and it really feels more like a challenge between man and hill than it does on a board. Maybe its just me , I don't know
    They are the reasons why I do what I do.

My biased opinion for a beginner would be to start on skis , get a grip with how it reacts with snow , how you react to its speed , etc. Try a board by all means , it is fun as well but don't fall into the trap of doing it because everyone else is.

nfip likes this.
  47. chicski

chicski Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This. Now I'm too old to injure myself learning a new sport. My kids are bi.

nfip likes this.
  48. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What does this number represent ?
    Year of birth or year of first ski/board ?

49. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Snowboards weren't around when I started. It's crossed my mind a couple of time to try boarding, but I can't cope with the thought of being a total numpty on a board, when I can ski wherever I want.

My kids asked me a few times if they could board. I said "Yeah sure - as long as you pay for it - if I'm paying you'll ski."

rollyz and W0nkey D0nkey like this.
  50. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

I'm the same- don't want to start from scratch again, though my kids have tempted me to give it a go.

When my kids first asked about trying snowboarding (after starting on skis) I told my them they were welcome to try it but they had to give it a solid go- no quitting because it was 'hard'- commit to boarding for the full week we were there. I'd have easily relented if they really didn't like it, but two of mine tried it, loved it and have stayed with it. I don't care what they do so long as they have fun!

Chaeron, rollyz and Froff Life like this.