Ski pants waist sizes. Bloody hell I'm fat!

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
Just a rant and rumination about ski pant sizes and how I and we are getting fat as a society.

The typical sizing scheme for most ski apparel companies goes something like this:

28-30" waist - 30" inseam - 165 cm height (5'5")

32" waist - 31" inseam - 170 cm height (5'6")

34" waist - 33" inseam - 175 cm height (5'8")

36" waist - 34" inseam - 180 cm height (5'10")

I'm about 175 cm height with a 36" waist and a 30" inseam. Doesn't fit the normal schemes above. I cannot tell you how hard it is to shop for 30" inseam ski pants with 36" waist. There's none that exists in Sydney shops. My current ski pants were special ordered from overseas.

I just took it as a motivation to lose weight. I've gone down to 34" but have ways to go before I get to that magic 30-32" waist to match my 30" inseam, which is one and two steps below my 175 cm height. But that's more typical and in line with the measurement of people who lived in the 50's to 70's

I've watched a few youtube videos explaining how as we as a society have gone fat due to less activity (more driving and automated household appliances vs more walking and manual household chores) due to advances in technology and difference in our current work environment compared to people from the 50's. A real eye opener.

It seems the ski apparel industry has not "kept up with the times" with our increasing body mass and less active lifestyle compared to other clothing industries, but I'm thankful that it hasn't. I take it as a motivation to be more active so I can fit normal ski clothes. Plus it has the added benefit of being more fit when I hit the slopes.

What's your experience with shopping for ski jackets and pants? Are your fit and don't have a problem with the typical sizes? Or do you have to special order yours like I did?

Reactions: Spence and skifree

chrisj

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
If you are 175cm tall with a 30" (75cm) inseam, then according to the measurement scale you have posted, the problem is that you have relatively short legs for your height, regardless of your weight. Unless you are going for a very svelte look, it doesn't matter if the legs of your ski pants bunch up a bit where they sit over your boot.
Where did you get the sizes you posted? 180cm is 6'0", not 5'10".

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I hear you, I’ve come to terms with the fact that as a vertically challenged individual I need to get my ski pants tailored.

Adds about $150 to the pants but saves them in the long run from ski edges etc.

but FWIW check out picture organic, they have a toggle system in the pocket that lets you shorten the pant.

Reactions: CarveMan

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I hear you, I’ve come to terms with the fact that as a vertically challenged individual I need to get my ski pants tailored.

Adds about $150 to the pants but saves them in the long run from ski edges etc.

but FWIW check out picture organic, they have a toggle system in the pocket that lets you shorten the pant.
God. I pay ten bucks to get mine taken up....

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
30" waist is tiny. You'll never get there. I put a very skinny but tall stick-insect 12 yr old in size 30 pants the other day. By all means lose weight but don't expect to get to a 30". I suspect you have short legs. I do. Many others do too.
Look for an Aussie ski brand called 'Aggression'. They make ski pants in 5 different leg lengths. But you don't get a choice of colours. Black only. Made for ski hires. So, ask at ski hires - even for ex-rental, or order a pair for next winter if they don't normally sell new ones.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
My mogul skier is 5’ 8” tall and has a 28” waist and broader shoulders than anyone we know. He weighs around 70 kg. He needs xl tops to fit across his shoulders. The shoulders do not have much muscle outside the bone so it is not like they are like that from working in the gym.
The driving factor for fit for trousers for him is his quads.

He buys lots of stretch clothing.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
If you are 175cm tall with a 30" (75cm) inseam, then according to the measurement scale you have posted, the problem is that you have relatively short legs for your height, regardless of your weight. Unless you are going for a very svelte look, it doesn't matter if the legs of your ski pants bunch up a bit where they sit over your boot.
Where did you get the sizes you posted? 180cm is 6'0", not 5'10".
I totally agree with you. Indeed I wonder whether the sizing scheme ever fit a norm.

I’m 177cm or so which for my age is pretty much bang on average. I’m heavier than the norm for that height but that doesn’t mainly sit on my hips - I’m 33-34 inch waist. But I’m a 30” inseam which must be pretty standard for a 5’9.5” guy. Can I ever get pants with the right inseam for my height and waist? Never! Sometimes they’re “close enough” and I just leave them. In large part though I ensure I buy pants which don’t have zippers at the cuff, and have the inseam shortened by an outdoor wear seamstress

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I totally agree with you. Indeed I wonder whether the sizing scheme ever fit a norm.

I’m 177cm or so which for my age is pretty much bang on average. I’m heavier than the norm for that height but that doesn’t mainly sit on my hips - I’m 33-34 inch waist. But I’m a 30” inseam which must be pretty standard for a 5’9.5” guy. Can I ever get pants with the right inseam for my height and waist? Never! Sometimes they’re “close enough” and I just leave them. In large part though I ensure I buy pants which don’t have zippers at the cuff, and have the inseam shortened by an outdoor wear seamstress
All mass clothing is by nature, manufactured to a particular size/shape/measurement. There are few people who don't need to compromise - whether it be length, waist, quads, buttocks or anything else. Just accept that everyone is an individual and has their own shape.
A prime example would be hands - and gloves. There's the length of finger, length of thumb, the palm circumference under the thumb, the circumference above the thumb, the length of palm, the distance between where the thumb joins and the index finger joins and on it goes. So many variables. And most people have to compromise on at least one factor when it comes to gloves.
Same with pants. Should a skinny guy who is 6'9" be expected to put on weight to fit the pants long enough for his legs? I don't think so. He would buy extra long leg pants instead. Just like you need to buy short leg pants.
And while short leg pants happen to fit overweight people, it's not only fatties who need them. It's also skinny people with short legs.

Reactions: chrisj

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
We have average heights by age?
Yeah, people have gotten taller in Aus due to better nutrition and health care in childhood. And periods of deprivation - war, depression, concentration camps etc have all shown subsequent stunting of growth.

Anyway, I have found that ski clothing was apparently created for tall skinny people
yep, and particularly evident in women’s ski gear and in certain brands of women’s ski gear where you’re expected to be barbie height but skipper figure - no boobs no butt and definitely never bigger than a size 12. There are some manufacturers and brands meeting the market now, but it has been a hard slog to find suitable clothing if you don’t meet the industry standard.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Pandemics/plagues? LOL
People also shrink with age. People in their 80s and 90s aren't as tall as they were in their youth.
Unlikely with this pandemic in Australia judging by the amount of hoarded food and toilet paper...
But certainly possible in some other countries.

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
I have two pairs of pants. As someone who loses a bit of weight and then regains the weight, I never know what size waist I’ll be for the ski season. So XL pair, and a L pair. This season I’m somewhere in between. So I’ve been using the XL pair and a belt. I don’t really worry about leg length as it doesn’t seem to matter when I’m skiing and for car park and driving I just roll up the cuffs.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JM72

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 29, 2018
ajEeD (1).jpg

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Im in a wheelchair - I have apparently lost weight.

So it is possible in ISO surely?

I am tall for a female, but I actually have quite short Legs. My height is in my torso. Other clothes annoy me more than ski pant length!

Reactions: teckel

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown

I saw an advert the other day for ski pants for shorter-legged chaps
Marmot, I think

Reactions: Spence
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using