Admin Notice Ski Pass Blue commences Sept 1 and will be a required subscription for 500+ posts for Weather & Apre

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
ABOUT SKI PASS BLUE
-------------------------------

If you are not already familiar, learn how membership works on these forums.​

It's now been 5 years since we introduced our subscription model, and whilst it is unusual.. it works - and is fundamentally what keeps the lights on and the ongoing maintenance and upgrades happening.

For a bunch of reasons the time has come to introduce a new subscription tier. Ski Pass Blue will be $6.60 per annum for members who have between 500~1000 posts. What's more, the scope of Ski Pass Blue will include all the Weather Topics as well as Apre.

What this means in a nutshell;
From Sept 1, all registered members WITHOUT an existing Gold or Silver subscription AND WITH greater than 500 posts -- will be required to purchase a Ski Pass Blue subscription in order to post in Weather or Apre forums.

Early-Bird Offer
Ski Pass Blue is available now and all purchases made before MIDNIGHT Sept 1, will receive a bonus 4 months..

Last edited:

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
And they miss out on DJOTD, that's got to be worth paying for !

1626840824619.png

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Can we have a Diamond Pass.

Where,

The covid subforum is invisible,

Covid threads are invisible,

Covid and vaccine are added to the swear word filter,

Statistics on anything are invisible,

Anyone using the word covid or vaccine 3 times gets added to a global ignore list.

A special membership for people that just want to use a snow website as a snow website and would prefer not to see all the miserable social engineering propaganda pervading every part of the site.

I'd pay double.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

Where,

Anyone using the word covid or vaccine 3 times gets added to a global ignore list.

A special membership for people that just want to use a snow website as a snow website and would prefer not to see all the miserable social engineering propaganda pervading every part of the site.

I'd pay double.

I was looking at an addon that allows people to ignore entire topics. I need to test it as it didn't look very mature and was from an amateur contributor - not one of the professional add-on developers.

But the idea has plenty of merit.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT

Where,

I'd pay double.
But this is an AFL forum.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016

Where,

I'd pay double.
Your post actually violates your theory haha.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
2 cents a day ? What a bargain :) I really mean that.Not sarcasm.That's a good price .

Just a question or two or three or four .... etc

So I'm looking at

Skipass blue 6 bucks 60 for 16 months..
So I pay via Paypal ... then after 16 months then i have to choose again ? I assume that's correct it says only the $33 one auto renews.

I cannot cancel it within the 16 months (not that i would , i'm addicted to weather ) Seems the $33 one you can cancel at any time?

What would happen if for some reason I posted over 1000 posts in that 16 months on the Ski Pass Blue would I have to pay for the Silver one mid way ?

If someone posted less than 500 posts in a year or two , i guess it would be no cost ?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
2 cents a day ? What a bargain :)

Just a question or two or three.

So I'm looking at

Skipass blue 6 bucks 60 for 16 months..

So I pay via Paypal ... then after 16 months then i have to choose again ? I assume that's correct it says only the $33 one auto renews.

I cannot cancel it within the 16 months (not that i would , i'm addicted to weather ) Seems the $33 one you can cancel at any time?

Correct, the reason only Gold is an automatic subscription is because folk ladder up to Gold -- if the Blue and Silver were automatic subscriptions and folk just buy the next sub when they ladder up instead of cancelling first - they end up running two subs. We initially ran Silver as a automatic sub but it caused too much hassel as I was always having to refund and reset subscriptions.

So, once a year you manually renew for as long as you remain at Blue or Silver.

Refund policy is here;

Reactions: Vinny

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Just paid my $6.60 . That was quick and easy. How long before I see the banner thing under my name saying "Ski Pass Blue " ?

Will i get some reminder to renew if it is manual ? with Ski Pass Blue or not be able to login or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: crackson

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
How long before I see the banner thing under my name saying "Ski Pass Blue "
Payment upgrade cron runs every 20 min - so up to 20 minutes.
Will i get some reminder to renew if it is manual ? with Ski Pass Blue or not be able to login or something?
Once it expires you become locked out and a permanent notice appears at the top of the locked-out forum, with link to upgrades.

Reactions: Vinny

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hi again,

What sort of costs are involved in running a site like this and how was the fee worked out from that (if that makes sense)

$1200~$1600 per month
Ad Revenue is about $750 per month except for a few months during winter (so you can see that don't add up real quick without subscriptions).

Subscription Fee calculation is a mixture of;

- Resource overhead of highly active member (bandwith + storage space)
- Opportunity Cost of not showing ads to a subscriber (daily active member is worth $5~$15 per year in ad revenue)
- Value Proposition v's alternative digital content/entertainment subscription offerings such as Netflix, Spotify, Sydney Morning Herald, Wikicamps, yada..
- Wet finger in the air.

Occasionally Ian D & I draw down some beer & pizza money. But that has not happened since the start of Covid when ad-revenue tanked. Otherwise this site receives approx $10k~$20K of free tech & administration skills each year.

Please feel free to set up a competitor forum, there's nothing to it and it's dead-easy money.....

For more see this original announcement and also this very long discussion thread from September 2016.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
$1200~$1600 per month
Ad Revenue is about $750 per month except for a few months during winter (so you can see that don't add up real quick without subscriptions).

Subscription Fee calculation is a mixture of;

- Resource overhead of highly active member (bandwith + storage space)
- Opportunity Cost of not showing ads to a subscriber (daily active member is worth $5~$15 per year in ad revenue)
- Value Proposition v's alternative digital content/entertainment subscription offerings such as Netflix, Spotify, Sydney Morning Herald, Wikicamps, yada..
- Wet finger in the air.

Occasionally Ian D & I draw down some beer & pizza money. But that has not happened since the start of Covid when ad-revenue tanked. Otherwise this site receives approx $10k~$20K of free tech & administration skills each year.

Please feel free to set up a competitor forum, there's nothing to it and it's dead-easy money.....

For more see this original announcement and also this very long discussion thread from September 2016.

Thanks for the response Richard. I wouldn't know the first thing in setting up another forum. That wasn't a complaint was just curious. Happy to stay here . - Vinny

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I hope it does not cause desertion of contributors. There have been a couple of attempts by former weatherzoners to start forums and they died or are going that way.

So there's a couple of things to unpack there.

First.
Starting a new forum (aka community) in a post Facebook, post Instagram, post TikTok world is very very very hard. Our advantage is we have been around since 1998 and have a lot of momentum.

Second.
Someone is home. Aka, me. Send me a PM, complain in the bug report thread, or send me an email -- and I respond. Not a bot. A real person. $6.60 value right there, even if you are not a subscriber. In fact I have just invested $1000 US per annum on better email SMTP gateway service based on a single email from a regular, non-subscription member who's preferred email service* randomly rejects forum notification email.

Third.
Average daily active forum visitors has increased 30% in last two years. There are many reasons why, but I suspect one of them is the constant upgrades we make to forum features and performance.

1627114388709.png

A subscription is not a fee for what you receive now, it's a down-payment on getting a better service tomorrow. This is not a platitude, it's actually the true economics of how the subscription model works for all intangible services such as content and cloud (SaaS) software.

*.. only one person emailed me, but approx 25% of members use the same free email service, so hundreds of folk were not receiving email.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Is there anywhere I can find out the age demographics of people who use this site? Can I assume that under 25 (not me! ) would be rare? Can't recall if i had to put my age in when signing up . I'd imagine it would be a similar age structure to other discussion forums like Whirlpool.

I'm guessing discussion forums for younger people are considered "old fashioned" ?

I'm sort of imagining people using this site would be 30 and older . with most 20 something year olds preferring Facebook ? (could be totally wrong)...

I like Facebook but it's more of a casual conversation group / family thing to me... not something i can have an indepth analsyis of a topic with someone on.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass