1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski school for the kids-Friday or Saturday

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Denis1969, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Denis1969

Denis1969 First Runs

All,
    Haven't been to Falls with the kids(ages 8 and 9) but taking them up Friday and Saturday. At this stage Friday is looking at 50-60km winds and Saturday 15-30kms. Friday will obviously be quieter but Saturday weather better but more crowds. As we are staying in Bright not sure which day I should put them in ski school? Any suggestions please?

2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

60k winds may shut the lifts down [​IMG]

I'd go fo Saturday

#2 Apresski, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Denis1969

Denis1969 First Runs

thanks, is kids ski school still usually packed on a saturday or not to bad?

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

a few disjointed thoughts

are you planning on skiing both days, or only one? if both, why not lessons both days?

falls will be extremely busy for parking on saturday. the kangaroo hoppet xc race is on. while this does not effect the downhill slopes, it does suck up parking. if you are coming up on saturday - come early.

have your kids skied before, or is this the first time? i'm a subscriber to the theory that if you want your kids to like snow, you should make sure their first few visits are in reasonably good weather.

if the wind on friday does get up around 60kph, that will probably shut every lift on the mountain

if your kids are seasoned skiers, then they would probably appreciate the lift priority on a saturday.

overall if you are only skiing one day, i'd get up very early on saturday. if you are skiing both days, then maybe lessons both days, but be prepared to pull the pin on friday if kids are likely to be miserable

5. Denis1969

Denis1969 First Runs

thanks, they have only had lessons once last year so will put them in ski school only on fri or sat(as can't afford both days)...so the wife and I can hit the real slopes. Also, when you mention early what time saturday should we get up there?

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not sure what time the carparks fill on hoppet day, but I'd be aiming to get there by 8:30, maybe even 8.

7. Apresski

Forgot Kangaroo Hoppet. Get there early and get the kids up the Falls Express Lift and maybe have a coffee at Cloud nine and take the kids for a bit of a run before their lesson. Hope it works for you, Falls Creek Ski School is fantastic. My kids went there every year for at least a week, sometimes two from the age of 3 to 15. They are both excellent skiers and ski with confidence and style, thanks to the excellent instruction they received from ski school.

8. Trish

Trish First Runs

Yep totally agree with apresski. Love love love Falls Creek ski school. The kids instructers seem to actually like their job as opposed to being there because they drew the short straw. Have fun. I think Saturday will be better. We are there from Sunday for a week and I can't wait.

9. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Yep agree, put my kids aged 9 &11 in ski school last year at falls ( normaly do perisher ), I was stunned when i picked them up everyday, as the instructors come up to me & gave us detailed feedback everyday and what to work on etc. Leave early to get up to cloud 9 if its there first time, as it can take a while for beginners and you dont want them stressed :).

10. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely First Runs

One more vote for the FC ski school (Milo snow club) - our kids have spent plenty of time there, often being the only kid at their level [even I don't get 2 hour privates]. They have come back with a lot more skill and confidence.

Next year, they'll be going to Milo Juniors.

11. Apresski

So true and if you keep there for years, lots of kids don't want to take lessons as they get more proficient, so you will often find the higher classes have very few kids in them [​IMG]

#11 Apresski, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

My daughter loved ski school- and she learnt so much quicker than if I would have taught her.