Ski Season 2019 Queenstown & Instructor Course

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Sash, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sash

Sash First Runs

Hey all,

So i'm currently based in Auckland. I'm on a 1 year WHV from Ireland. I have a few questions that i'd love if someone can help me out with. I know the 2018 season has not even finished yet but i want to know what season pass i'm going with to buy the early bird.

Question 1: I travelling solo and will aim to be in Queenstown by early May and I'm thinking i will look at getting a bar job so it will leave me day time to board on the slopes. From what I've seen it's doable to stay around Queenstown Hill and do my season at Cardrona? I will either have a car or hope to meet someone who has one and share costs with them. Does this plan sound good or not?

Question 2: I want to do my Level 1 & 2 instructor course and I see Cardrona offer a 10 week course but it costs $1399!!! Which is far too much for me. I see you can just pay to sit the 5 day course level 1 and level 2, where you pay $720 and $798. Do you think this is plausible? I'm not bad at snowboarding but I will aim to get to a decent level by the time the exams come around. Has anyone done it this way before?

Cheers

2. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you aren't working seasons and getting free training it will be a struggle without doing the course, your free riding doesn't have to be amazing for the level 1, its demo's the ability to show technical skills/technique, if you aren't getting feedback and training you will show up to exam with no idea what you are doing or what the examiners are looking for.

NZ levels are also very strong, Australia now hands out the token level 1 for showing up, NZ level 1 is the equivalent to an Aussie or US level 2

People work in Ski/snowboard school and train all season and fail these courses, a good percentage pass level 1, i did my level 2 in the Australian 3 level system and 40% failed the course

3. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Actually just watched the level 1 demo video and forgot how easy snowboarding was, maybe you could just rock up to this

4. Sash

Sash First Runs

Sorry I meant to write the 10 week course is $8299, not $1399!

5. Sash

Sash First Runs

Hey, thanks for the reply man. I see online there are example vids of what they ask you to do during the test and it doesn't seem too outrageous. I wouldn't worry about level 1 but would definitely need to get some practice in for level 2. All the manuals are available online too so the written exam would just come down to doing my homework.

I'd say it would greatly improve my boarding' if I did the course but $8299 is a crazy amount!

6. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah i wouldn't be forking out that

You need to practice practice practice but you need to practice right, somehow i think you need to get feed back, i'd seriously consider requesting a private with a full cert or examiner, 1-2hrs working on the demo's go away and practice and need to go back again, not cheap but not as much a forking out for the course or blowing your cash failing the exam.

Is there a requirement on actually teaching enough hours if you don't do the course?

7. Sash

Sash First Runs

Yeah I would have no problem paying for one or two private lessons. Especially if they from instructors with the level 3 course complete. Would still be less than half if I did it myself.

This is what is said about passing level 2,
    Level 2 requirements:
    "The six-day course includes modules covering rider improvement, rider analysis, progressions for intermediate students, class handling and safety on all-mountain terrain. Candidates’ riding is continually assessed during the first five days with key requirements being: Riding all groomed and off-piste terrain with good flow and style, forwards and switch skidded turn demonstrations, carving demonstrations, and freestyle demonstrations (aerial awareness on small park jumps, nose rolls, 180s, board slide and a press, on a box)."

The last bit doesn't seem like it would be too tough. I plan to be there mid June and the test arent till mid September. Baring a bad injury I think people with a certain standard already can teach themselves that. I am comfortable on the board but have never done park tricks. Again like you said I will just practice practice practice.

No as far as i'm aware no minimum requirements.

8. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Pass your 1, start working at snowboard school, do the training with them to get your level 2. I trained twice a week after work with ski school all season, did 5 days intensive training and went and worked on everything in my spare time including getting out when night skiing was on, at the end of the season i passed my 2 stronger than when i did the 1 but the thing is you have to absolutely nail it on the day and you are under pressure.

A couple of friends did all the same training and failed with multiple season working

9. Sash

Sash First Runs

Oh really? What standard would you say you were before you took the level 2? And your friends? Would they be beginners or more intermediate? Just trying to scale for myself.

My plan is to work at night, like in a bar, and spend practically all day everyday practicing, well at least 3-5 hours a day if I can.

The thing is, if I want to do the exams myself......level 1 exam is on around 16th September until 21st sep. Then level 2 exam is on the 23rd sep. They are the only dates you can do the exams here. So doesn’t really leave me time to train with a school......

10. craighelo

craighelo Addicted

I just finished the 3 week (3rd Week is the exam week) level 1 Through Rookies in Wanaka, was just over $2k as I am local and didn't need the accommodation. Would say you would need your skiing at a pretty high standard if you were just to do the NZSIA course. A lot of the guys on the course were taking the level 2 exam 4 weeks later. I am hoping to do level 2 next year.

11. Sash

Sash First Runs

Ah nice one on completing level 1. Do you think you needed that two weeks of training before the exam?

Is the course with Rookies held as the same as the Cardrona course? Is it the same level?

12. craighelo

craighelo Addicted

Pre-course definitely was good for me, had got into some bad habits again. Think if you have really solid technique you would be Ok without it but if you have any doubts you are not demonstrating good technique in all areas I would recommend the pre-course. Both of the NZSIA examiners were also giving lessons in the pre course. Sorry can't comment on the Cardrona course, I had season pass at treble cone so only looked at the Rookie course

Sash likes this.