1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I will - no worries

LMB likes this.
  2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tested AAMI this trip. Medical costs refunded quickly. No questions about piste or off piste.

Only complaint is that their number goes to a call centre which manages a number of different insurers, so their knowledge when I called from overseas wasn’t great, queue times around 10 minutes and the claim process a bit painful.

LMB, Any, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Ozgirl

you and i the crash test dummies!!

Hang on what was the offer throw out a few months ago???

Free OS ski trip i think??

LMB, Any and chicski like this.
  4. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Anyone had experience with claiming for lost luggage?

I am still waiting for Qantas to find my bag...been 2 weeks+ now so I'm convinced its not coming back. Reading the AAMI policy I took out for the trip, they require confirmation from the travel provider that it is in fact lost. Unfortunately Qantas wait 21 days until declared officially lost. Such a PITA having to wait it out. I've worked out about $2.5K value in the bag, so hopefully AAMI's $6K pay out limit isn't a drama.

LMB likes this.
  5. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

any accident & claim specifics I can add to the spreadsheet?
    femur spiral fracture from size 4 avalanche, heli lift out and 146 stitches?
    I hope you got the report thingo from the airline when it didnt arrive.
    is just a waiting game. its possible that it might still show up, but after 2 weeks it seems quite unlikely.

couple of years ago both my luggage bag and ski bag was lost when I had a delayed flight from Denver to LA.
    I seem to remember having to wait to be able to claim it on insurance, but I don't remember there being a specific time frame.

it turned up about 10 days later I think, having gone the long way to Brisbane via Sanfran, Brazil, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Sydney.
    the ski bag and contents had been significantly damaged - someone had used a forklift to lift it, by sticking the spikes straight through the bag. my suitcase sides had been ripped, damaged, beat up and just plain dirty, like it was put in an industrial sized cement mixer for a couple of hours.

Insurance asked lots of questions about flights, itineraries, descriptions and values of items, and an affidavit for what i claimed was missing and damaged.
    20+ emails went back and forward. but they weren't any questions i wasn't able to easily answer, just a long winded process. to begin with i thought it was a delay tactic to get me to give up, but I think it was just to filter out false claims, because if i didn't reply within a day or two they'd push and bug me to answer faster.
    suddenly a bunch of cash arrives in my bank account, and about a week later i received a letter detailing the claim n stuff.

LMB and Ozgirl like this.
  6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing that exciting. Dr bill, X-ray bill, chemist bill.

LMB and Any like this.
  7. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Yep. We are at about day 17 now. I handed the bag in Sydney and it didn’t show up in Port Macquarie. Couldn’t have gone too far. Especially since my snowboard bag turned up on the flight. I’m just fearful about how long the claim process might take and evidence they will need to back up the contents claim. Just a PITA having to replace everything.

LMB and Any like this.
  8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

It’s disappointing isn’t it.
    We had 6 bags vanish for 3 days then all but one showed up. The one with all the valuables in it of course.

9. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

So update. Been in contact with Q at least 5-6 times over the past 3 weeks asking for updates, giving information and photos of the baggage. No luck. Finally today I got fed up and asked if they could send through a lost luggage statement for my insurer. They send me a claim form (which I already have pre-filled) and offer $2400 to settle it. Probably want the case just to go away. It’s kind of a hollow feeling, but good just to resolve it so I can go and replace all the key things in it. Next time I’ll be taking cabin luggage where I can!

skifree, Kletterer and Ozgirl like this.
  10. Ozgirl

need to go post that in the bag thread where peeps think us Boot Carry on-ers are cray!

11. Any

oh! you were dealing with Qantas? screw that. that's what you pay the insurance companies for.

12. Ozgirl

i think you have to fail with QF before you can claim with your travel insurace?

13. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Yeah well, since this is the first time a bag hasn’t showed up I didn’t know any better. Every time I spoke with Q they kept saying, oh that’s unusual, it’ll turn up shortly. We’ll just get the tracing team to chase it up. So I check in every 3-5 days, new person each time and same story. Finally today I said this is BS. The claim settlement was done within 2hrs. No questions asked.

14. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Yeah AAMI terms and conditions say you need a letter from the travel provider before they will assess the claim. Qantas say 21 days before being declared lost. So it was just an annoying waiting game. I can even claim the difference between my initial valuation and what Q is paying out.

skifree and Ozgirl like this.
  15. Any

man that sucks.
    if it was a lot id probably have kept pushing the claim through AAMI now that Qantas have given up.
    theyre just trying to save a few $ by making it too hard.