Ski Specific Travel Insurance

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Tested AAMI this trip. Medical costs refunded quickly. No questions about piste or off piste.

Only complaint is that their number goes to a call centre which manages a number of different insurers, so their knowledge when I called from overseas wasn’t great, queue times around 10 minutes and the claim process a bit painful.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Anyone had experience with claiming for lost luggage?

I am still waiting for Qantas to find my bag...been 2 weeks+ now so I'm convinced its not coming back. Reading the AAMI policy I took out for the trip, they require confirmation from the travel provider that it is in fact lost. Unfortunately Qantas wait 21 days until declared officially lost. Such a PITA having to wait it out. I've worked out about $2.5K value in the bag, so hopefully AAMI's $6K pay out limit isn't a drama.

Reactions: LMB

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Tested AAMI this trip. Medical costs refunded quickly. No questions about piste or off piste.

Only complaint is that their number goes to a call centre which manages a number of different insurers, so their knowledge when I called from overseas wasn’t great, queue times around 10 minutes and the claim process a bit painful.
any accident & claim specifics I can add to the spreadsheet?
femur spiral fracture from size 4 avalanche, heli lift out and 146 stitches?

I am still waiting for Qantas to find my bag...been 2 weeks+ now so I'm convinced its not coming back. Reading the AAMI policy I took out for the trip, they require confirmation from the travel provider that it is in fact lost. Unfortunately Qantas wait 21 days until declared officially lost. Such a PITA having to wait it out. I've worked out about $2.5K value in the bag, so hopefully AAMI's $6K pay out limit isn't a drama.
I hope you got the report thingo from the airline when it didnt arrive.
is just a waiting game. its possible that it might still show up, but after 2 weeks it seems quite unlikely.

couple of years ago both my luggage bag and ski bag was lost when I had a delayed flight from Denver to LA.
I seem to remember having to wait to be able to claim it on insurance, but I don't remember there being a specific time frame.

it turned up about 10 days later I think, having gone the long way to Brisbane via Sanfran, Brazil, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Sydney.
the ski bag and contents had been significantly damaged - someone had used a forklift to lift it, by sticking the spikes straight through the bag. my suitcase sides had been ripped, damaged, beat up and just plain dirty, like it was put in an industrial sized cement mixer for a couple of hours.

Insurance asked lots of questions about flights, itineraries, descriptions and values of items, and an affidavit for what i claimed was missing and damaged.
20+ emails went back and forward. but they weren't any questions i wasn't able to easily answer, just a long winded process. to begin with i thought it was a delay tactic to get me to give up, but I think it was just to filter out false claims, because if i didn't reply within a day or two they'd push and bug me to answer faster.
suddenly a bunch of cash arrives in my bank account, and about a week later i received a letter detailing the claim n stuff.

Reactions: LMB and Ozgirl

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003

is just a waiting game. its possible that it might still show up, but after 2 weeks it seems quite unlikely.

couple of years ago both my luggage bag and ski bag was lost when I had a delayed flight from Denver to LA.
I seem to remember having to wait to be able to claim it on insurance, but I don't remember there being a specific time frame.

it turned up about 10 days later I think, having gone the long way to Brisbane via Sanfran, Brazil, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Sydney.
the ski bag and contents had been significantly damaged - someone had used a forklift to lift it, by sticking the spikes straight through the bag. my suitcase sides had been ripped, damaged, beat up and just plain dirty, like it was put in an industrial sized cement mixer for a couple of hours.

Insurance asked lots of questions about flights, itineraries, descriptions and values of items, and an affidavit for what i claimed was missing and damaged.
20+ emails went back and forward. but they weren't any questions i wasn't able to easily answer, just a long winded process. to begin with i thought it was a delay tactic to get me to give up, but I think it was just to filter out false claims, because if i didn't reply within a day or two they'd push and bug me to answer faster.
suddenly a bunch of cash arrives in my bank account, and about a week later i received a letter detailing the claim n stuff.
Nothing that exciting. Dr bill, X-ray bill, chemist bill.

Reactions: LMB and Any

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW

Yep. We are at about day 17 now. I handed the bag in Sydney and it didn’t show up in Port Macquarie. Couldn’t have gone too far. Especially since my snowboard bag turned up on the flight. I’m just fearful about how long the claim process might take and evidence they will need to back up the contents claim. Just a PITA having to replace everything.

Reactions: LMB and Any

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yep. We are at about day 17 now. I handed the bag in Sydney and it didn’t show up in Port Macquarie. Couldn’t have gone too far. Especially since my snowboard bag turned up on the flight. I’m just fearful about how long the claim process might take and evidence they will need to back up the contents claim. Just a PITA having to replace everything.
It’s disappointing isn’t it.
We had 6 bags vanish for 3 days then all but one showed up. The one with all the valuables in it of course.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW

So update. Been in contact with Q at least 5-6 times over the past 3 weeks asking for updates, giving information and photos of the baggage. No luck. Finally today I got fed up and asked if they could send through a lost luggage statement for my insurer. They send me a claim form (which I already have pre-filled) and offer $2400 to settle it. Probably want the case just to go away. It’s kind of a hollow feeling, but good just to resolve it so I can go and replace all the key things in it. Next time I’ll be taking cabin luggage where I can!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
So update. Been in contact with Q at least 5-6 times over the past 3 weeks asking for updates, giving information and photos of the baggage. No luck. Finally today I got fed up and asked if they could send through a lost luggage statement for my insurer. They send me a claim form (which I already have pre-filled) and offer $2400 to settle it. Probably want the case just to go away. It’s kind of a hollow feeling, but good just to resolve it so I can go and replace all the key things in it. Next time I’ll be taking cabin luggage where I can!
oh! you were dealing with Qantas? screw that. that's what you pay the insurance companies for.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
oh! you were dealing with Qantas? screw that. that's what you pay the insurance companies for.
Yeah well, since this is the first time a bag hasn’t showed up I didn’t know any better. Every time I spoke with Q they kept saying, oh that’s unusual, it’ll turn up shortly. We’ll just get the tracing team to chase it up. So I check in every 3-5 days, new person each time and same story. Finally today I said this is BS. The claim settlement was done within 2hrs. No questions asked.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
i think you have to fail with QF before you can claim with your travel insurace?
Yeah AAMI terms and conditions say you need a letter from the travel provider before they will assess the claim. Qantas say 21 days before being declared lost. So it was just an annoying waiting game. I can even claim the difference between my initial valuation and what Q is paying out.

Reactions: skifree and Ozgirl

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Yeah AAMI terms and conditions say you need a letter from the travel provider before they will assess the claim. Qantas say 21 days before being declared lost. So it was just an annoying waiting game. I can even claim the difference between my initial valuation and what Q is paying out.
man that sucks.
if it was a lot id probably have kept pushing the claim through AAMI now that Qantas have given up.
theyre just trying to save a few $ by making it too hard.

skixracer

Addicted
Sep 19, 2009
@Any thank you for the spreadsheet. It's been super helpful. I just went into it again and it said that it was in your bin and was about to be permanently deleted. Just wanted to make sure that was your intention.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
@Any thank you for the spreadsheet. It's been super helpful. I just went into it again and it said that it was in your bin and was about to be permanently deleted. Just wanted to make sure that was your intention.
ah. seems i forgot to update this thread. thanks for the reminder.

As expected, a straight up NO from every Australian resource I investigated. But there are several international insurers offering insurance coverage, and are up front about how they have chosen to cover Covid19 related costs.

FYI I had to change the url of the cheat sheet spreadsheet when I changed my google drive account username (I ran out of space and realized I was using the wrong google account when I had almost unlimited space on a paid google account)
its at docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NudOumVVmYE2oeJ7j2P1rwxcMs4t7An82bHtbC6A7ks/edit#gid=0 now
or just click the image:

andy22222

First Runs
Feb 25, 2021
Just wanted to say that the information about the Austrian Alpine Club (AAC) is slightly incorrect in the Google Doc.

The "basic" insurance AWS included with the AAC membership is valid for any member, regardless of place of residence. This is specifically mentioned in the insurance document on page 13. It is indeed a great policy that covers getting you off the mountain in pretty much any situation.

The premium single trip cover option is the one with the European residency requirement. This one is for those who need additional protection/more extreme trips that the basic insurance does not cover. The website makes it a bit confusing, but it you review it carefully, you'll see the European residency is only for the premium option. It also states on the website: "This insurance policy is separate from the Alpenverein Weltweit Service (AWS) policy"

So as long as you're going on a trip that does not go over the basic insurance trip exclusion, you're covered.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Just wanted to say that the information about the Austrian Alpine Club (AAC) is slightly incorrect in the Google Doc.

The "basic" insurance AWS included with the AAC membership is valid for any member, regardless of place of residence. This is specifically mentioned in the insurance document on page 13. It is indeed a great policy that covers getting you off the mountain in pretty much any situation.

The premium single trip cover option is the one with the European residency requirement. This one is for those who need additional protection/more extreme trips that the basic insurance does not cover. The website makes it a bit confusing, but it you review it carefully, you'll see the European residency is only for the premium option. It also states on the website: "This insurance policy is separate from the Alpenverein Weltweit Service (AWS) policy"

So as long as you're going on a trip that does not go over the basic insurance trip exclusion, you're covered.
cool ill have to re-investigate.
i emailed them a while back for clarification, and they straight up said eu only. but perhaps there was some confusion as to which insurance package.

Reactions: skifree

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Anyone got any suggestions for insurance for a guided backcountry skii trip in Mt Cook NP NZ this September, heli into a hut for 6 days, then fly out again after 6 days. We’ll be skiing in glaciated / crevassed areas.
A lot of insurance companies seem to have stopped offering travel insurance because of Covid.
TIA

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Anyone got any suggestions for insurance for a guided backcountry skii trip in Mt Cook NP NZ this September, heli into a hut for 6 days, then fly out again after 6 days. We’ll be skiing in glaciated / crevassed areas.
A lot of insurance companies seem to have stopped offering travel insurance because of Covid.
TIA
sevencorners.com have COVID insurance. I have 1 year including US, $100k COVID cover, plus the usual. About $1000 AUD.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
sevencorners.com have COVID insurance. I have 1 year including US, $100k COVID cover, plus the usual. About $1000 AUD.
TIA
ive updated the document for seven corners. (docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NudOumVVmYE2oeJ7j2P1rwxcMs4t7An82bHtbC6A7ks/)
none of their plans appear to cover any form of off piste skiing, backcountry, or heli skiing. even if you purchase the hazardous activities addon. this is to be expected, its Lloyds reseller after all.

i haven't updated anything else in ages, but even way back then some of them were already covering covid.
but i'd suggest re-examining them for yourself.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
TIA
Have they stopped covering any travel insurance? Or just issues relating to covid?

You should be okay re cancellations due to covid. Anything else you should be covered for, just not anything Covid related

Last edited:

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
TIA

Whoa, forget the insurance and tell us about the trip! Sounds awesome.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass