Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

Sorry, I missed your reply earlier.

No, no restrictions...I actually rang and talked to them, and I have had a quick look at the "fine print" and there is nothing mentioned.

Froff Life likes this.
  2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

We pay about $280 per head for a month's holiday to Canadia so will need to investigate amex insurance further as it saves a nice few dollars if everthing is well covered

3. Slowman

Slowman Active Member

By coincidence I was looking at my Amex annual travel insurance policy today, which is done through a major US based underwriter called Chubb. It has a specific exclusion for all off piste skiing. I ended up getting a trip duration policy through AAMI which as others have mentioned does not exclude off piste skiing. AAMI do not appear to sell annual policies.

As it happens I had to make a claim earlier this year on my Amex policy for some medical expenses I incurred in Canada whilst on a resort based trip. The insure was very professional and processed the claim very promptly. But for the off piste exclusion I would have been happy to renew with them.

LMB likes this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Thank you for sharing this info.

5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Pretty sure citi don't cover skiing but @hipo called and paid a small amount to upgrade.

6. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Biggest exclusion (Rort) is that there is no coverage for any medical incurred in Aust even if you have purchased a policy specifically in Aust as they expect you to use Medicare and or your health fund (same if you purchase a policy for overseas, all medical once you return to Aust is excluded).

The insurer will point you to the exclusions in the overseas section of the disclosure statement even if you haven't purchased for overseas. :mad:

Mind you, there was no hesitation paying all of the other non-medical costs of getting back to Sydney, followcup visit parking, tolls etc.

7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Random question.

Our car is being repaired under a warranty issue.

We are heading to Perisher this weekend so we demanded an alternative car which they have given us, however there is a $3k excess

Any ideas if travel insurance would cover this?

8. Any

Any Active Member

i struggle to find insurance also.

previously ive been able to use my NAB platinum travel insurance backed by QBE,. it was really good coverage (better than normal QBE). They were really good with claims and even chased me up in getting it in, whereas i expected them to delay it as much as possible.
    unfortunately im now classified as having a preexisting medical condition, which means go away basically.

gave AAMI a look, i hadn't looked at their products before but it seems pretty good at first glance, although my quote came out at $800 vs LMB's $150
    they limit to 180 days, most only cover 90 days so thats a plus, and don't mention anything about snow cover in pds (which I believe is to mean that you can assume it is). unfortunately they dont cover much in the way of pre existing conditions, its so limited i wouldn't be surprised if a runny nose is enough for an exception, so no help for me.

just thought that i'd mention noworries insurance. they do cover long trips, snow sports (an extra fee) including heli it seems, and cover osteoporosis for broken people like me. my quote came out at $1000 for my upcoming 190 day ski trip.

azzski and LMB like this.
  9. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

10. Any

Any Active Member

these guys are pretty good pds and costs. have used them several times also also, never made a claim tho.
    just a note tho, they added this extra condition a couple of years ago. "backcountry snow skiing and snowboarding, including heli-skiing and cat skiing, only when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;", so if you were to step outside the gates at a ski resort for a bit of off piste, you're not covered.

11. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

So off piste within the resort is ok?

12. Any

Any Active Member

afaik, yup.
    because you took a lift up, its also part of the duty of care of the ski resort to look after visitors in their inbounds terrain. i guess this helps the insurance companies risk.
    this duty of care is also why they make such a big deal about you going out the gates instead of ducking a rope. you're effectively signing a release when you go through.

13. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Worth knowing because 60% of Madarao runs are ungroomed and by some definitions are thus "off piste". With some insurance this may be an issue because they explicitly exclude "off piste". But these runs are within the resort, designated runs, patrolled, only way down from some lifts etc, so clearly part of the area you are meant to access within the resort.

Any likes this.
  14. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just get your mates to drag you back onto a run .

Any likes this.
  15. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

LOL
    So easily said.

16. gmanpadre

gmanpadre Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/travel-insurance
    MANY HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES AND
    EXTREME SPORTS COVERED

Our standard policies cover most lifestyle/sporting activities, including scuba diving, snorkelling, yachting, sailing, jet skiing, rafting, surfing, trekking, bungee jumping, winter sports, rugby and more. For those who are not interested in extreme sports, we cover cruises too.

We don’t cover training or participation in motorsport shows, races and competitions, base jumping, paragliding, hang-gliding, or rock-climbing / mountaineering that requires climbing equipment. We also don’t cover expeditions, mountaineering or trekking in Antarctica, the North Pole or Greenland.

#116 gmanpadre, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  17. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Well-Known Member

Just email the insurer and ask for their definition of "Off Piste"

18. Barras

Barras Active Member

I've been taking a look at some cover for back Country skiing in the US, $1,164 through Ouch for 20 days two people, a few companies mention "Off Piste" but in the resort boundaries, some insurance companies specifically exclude Back Country skiing in the US and Canada, I usually just use the Citibank CC insurance (which does cover skiing), but if we are going to do any back country skiing in the US i think i'd rather have a policy that states it covers it.

19. Any

Any Active Member

generally everything is covered unless specifically excluded.
    so usually when I'm looking at insurance product disclosure statements I'm specifically looking for the things they exclude. they slip stuff in everywhere tho, so you pretty much end up reading the whole thing to get a good idea.

for example, Citibank CC insurance uses Allianz insurance, which have a "‘dangerous activities" exceptions clause, and you'll notice that the definition of dangerous activities includes off-piste skiing. ie, you're not covered at all.

fyi, im 90% sure that as of 2016, Ouch (aka QBE) dont cover off piste either.

#119 Any, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  20. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

NAB card insurance, which is underwritten by QBE does not have a restriction for off-piste, unless it has changed in the last 3 months.

21. Any

Any Active Member

I didn't check, but yeah I'm pretty sure it does allow off piste in bounds.
    QBE have slightly different policies for different customers all over the place.
    I haven't read that one in over a year, but for NAB card insurance the big kicker was that backcountry skiing required you to be with a certified professional guide, otherwise you're not covered at all. Which is pretty shit too imo

22. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

So...just revisiting this...

Off-piste backcountry - yep we will be doing a lot of this, and without a guide more and more.

We've started doing some 'mountaineering' - climbing gear required...

The better half is looking at an Antarctic trip...

I think we better start a 'get out of the shit' fund of our own, as no one covers this stuff!

23. Any

Any Active Member

let me know if you find anything, im struggling to find any options for even non-heli ski stuff.

LMB likes this.
  24. Any

Any Active Member

thought I found one that included off piste and heli ski and everything,but noticed this funny exclusion:
    Your claim arises from travel in any air-supported device, other than as a passenger in a fully licensed aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This exclusion does not apply to regulated or licensed ballooning.
    have you considered heli ballooning?

25. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Surely a heli with a heliski company is a 'charter company'...

What a ridonkulous industry is the insurance industry..

26. Any

Any Active Member

a charter sounds like a heli taxi or sightseeing tour, not really a heli ski trip
    surely the heli ski company has some ideas of people you can use?

27. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

..to be perfectly honest, we went with the booking credit card included insurance in NZ.
    I knew we were doing 1 heli day, but anticipated it to be an easy day (which it mostly was)..
    I didn't know we were doing the extra heli day and the 2 mountaineering days until pretty much the day before. If Id known I would've been looking at insurance options.

But really..I'm starting to think we would be better sticking the insurance premiums into a bank account to cover contingencies over and above the credit card inclusions, as all of these insurers are covering less and less. We could rustle up the big dollars to evac - it'd hurt, but it could be done. And we have life insurance if in the worst case scenario.

What about serious climbing - like Everest for example?
    Those guys must be doing it without any insurance! :eek:

28. Any

Any Active Member

ive seen one company offer mountaineering insurance for below 4000 meters, with an optional extra for above 4000m. it was about $500 more than normal insurance so not super bad really.
    but they didnt cover heli ski nor off piste tho.

29. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Heck of a lot that are well over 4000.
    Even Kili is almost 5900.
    Any indication of how much that optional extra for over 4000 was?
    You'd expect to pay a higher premium for a higher risk, just glad to know that you can get insurance at all!

30. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Insure4less are covering backcountry/offpiste and actually state that you're covered even without a guide. But you mustn't be breaking any rules/laws or alone.
    https://www.insure4less.com.au/page/policies/skiing-snowboarding-travel-insurance/

Have some level of cover for mountaineering also..

Lol!
    Under $2k for both of us for the 4.5 months but add offpiste snow cover and suddenly you add in excess of $8k. Almost 10k for the trip.

31. Any

Any Active Member

I found another good one,
    1cover.com.au's pds says that they cover off piste, so long as you don't enter the backcountry.
    They never define backcountry tho. The dictionary defines it as "sparsely inhabited rural areas", which could mean anywhere really, including a ski resort area.
    So I emailed them and asked, and they confirmed that it means they don't cover off piste at all, even in bounds.

Oops, i had found insure4less a while ago, but I excluded it because they specifically exclude USA and Canada, which I frequently visit. I didn't think to pass it onto you guys here tho. Doh.
    I hope youre not paying to heli ski japan, especially at niseko, its a huge ripoff imo.

32. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

At the risk of rehashing a post of mine from a while ago, why not look at two policies.

I.e. AAC(UK) for climbing/mountaineering/search and rescue/backcountry travel etc and then another general travel insurance policy (personal liability, lost luggage, delays etc). Ideally get as much medical and off-piste coverage on the second policy as well.

One policy rarely does all, if ever.

I can't see there being much proper mountaineering happening in niseko. Your biggest issue is search and rescue. You can get dirt cheap search and rescue in japan through Patagonia but you need to speak Japanese to navigate the website.

Any and LMB like this.
  33. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Oh sweet Jesus no!

Just would like to be covered in case of mishap for Chisenupuri, Iwanopuri, Yotei etc. Earned turns, not bought turns :thumbs:

I'm just researching as much as I can about all the ins and outs of different types of cover for all the things we have lined up.

Good advice @smackies, I did think it'd come down to that. I expect our CC will cover the basics, for most trips, just buying rescue/repatriation/medical for the adventure bits will be the way to go. But TBH the things that are likely to go wrong probably won't be covered due to preexisting conditions anyway LOL

I'm not really looking at the mountaineering for this coming Japan trip. We are going back to do a much longer training course in NZ next winter, then tackle Kili.

34. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'd be surprised if you can't easily find insurance to walk up kilimanjaro. Old people do it and they have dicky everythings combined with the wisdom of knowing you need insurance.

LMB likes this.
  35. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

OK so everyone has an opinion of crap insurers ...... but it's not answering any questions of who they actually use .
    I used AAMI last year for a 6month policy that covered surfing in Indo , Japan , and hell skiing in Alaska $1053 .

Any and LMB like this.
  36. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

AAMI is my current go to. Has anybody actually had to make a bc related claim through them?
    Apologies if this has been answered further back.

37. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Same.
    And no.

Ozgirl likes this.
  38. Any

Any Active Member

I see none of the usual wording or loopholes to get out of bc coverage, in fact the lack of exceptions suggests that they include some things many dont (eg heli and snowmobiling for example).
    I've heard of several cases where people end up in kutchan hospital and were unable to leave because insurance wont cover it, and they cant pay the fees. Unfortunately I dont think i ever knew who they were insured with tho.