1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

I did use IHIBupa previously for Gulmarg trip as they covered Heli ski.
    Didnt need to claim tho.
    Fwiw to OP.

POW_hungry likes this.
  2. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

random fyi. after talking with a few insurance companies, i decided on AAMI also this year also.

i had a list of 5 or 6 insurance companies that i liked the look of, including noworries, but it mostly came down to ihi (bupa global) vs aami.

ihi's maximum lost/destroyed/stolen baggage total of $2000 is a bit of a joke, and was my tipping point.
    last year whilst waiting for my lost luggage to go brazil and back i estimated both bag's total to be worth over $12000 (it arrived eventually, with only $2000 worth of damage). I have other travel insurance on visa card that has a $20-30k limit, but my thought was that if they're gonna skimp on one thing then they're probably gonna skimp on other things i haven't thought to check also.

aami's limit of 179 days was an issue for me, im overseas almost 7 months this year. but their docs suggest you can call them mid-trip and extend it anyway, so no big deal in the end.

plus aami also seemed to be actual humans when discussing preexisting conditions too.
    everyone else is like "please consult our pds, i dont actually know the answer to your question"

Rick Ross Da Boss and smackies like this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I rang to buy my policies as I needed to add my dependant child and take a separate policy for my adult son. Couldn't get off the phone from her, she wanted to chat about skiing and Jindabyne etc etc LOL

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Had the same at the Pharmacy this morning when I was explaining why I needed all repeats on all scripts - pharmacist was a keen skier, I think she's gonna spend her lunch break looking at flights LOL

You just reminded me I need to get the offspring insurance also (whoops!)

chicski likes this.
  5. LMB

Thanks for the reminder @chicski Ill be sorting all the policies today (far out! Now they are all 18+ I've got to get 4 separate policies for the boys!!)

And I've got to delve into an area I haven't had to before - 65+ insurance!! My Dad was born in 48 and our Mothers in 49. The oldies aren't likely to be skiing (they've all said they won't be) so it's just plain travel insurance we are looking for, thankfully because AAMI won't cover over 65s at all.

6. Any

try https://nationalseniorsinsurance.we.com.au/
    covers off piste. includes worldwide (usa), and even includes preexisting conditions like my osteoprosis.
    i didn't use them because they don't cover anything that involves the use of snowmobile.

Born2ski and LMB like this.
  7. smackies

smackies A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Baggage limit with IHI sure does suck.

I went with them as they were the only one I found to cover my pre-existing condition for my first trip back. Might look into others next time, have just renewed my 12 month with IHI.

8. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

That's interesting. Just got an online quote and even though my wife and I are only in our forties they still gave us a decent price. Does this seniors insurance product cover anyone, no matter their age ?

9. LMB

Really?
    I got a quote of $210 for my MIL with them and $146 with Australian Seniors - off to compare benefits.

10. Any

afaik they cover everyone.
    looked into them because we figured they deal with "old" people so might be experienced with osteoporosis (im 35, but with bad bones).
    the only reason i didnt go with them is the no snowmobiling clause.

insurance costs are usually based on risk of paying out. this sort of insurance probably probably doesn't deal with skiers often, so is a low risk for them, so its not a big problem to cover.
    this is why ive been looking into lesser known insurance providers instead recently.
    they said their biggest risk is insurance payout because of a trip cancellation, rather than actual trip stuff.

australian seniors (https://auseniors.chubbtravelinsurance.com/) != national seniors (https://nationalseniorsinsurance.we.com.au/)
    austalian seniors is backed by chubb it seems. which means they probably cover off piste too tho.

Born2ski likes this.
  11. LMB

My error I put her age in as 49 instead of being born in 49...lol
    Its $146.14, not $99. Still cheaper.

12. Born2ski

Thanks. Australian seniors comes up even less for my family of four. Time to read the details. :thumbs:

13. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Anyone no of a company that covers off piste skiing without a guide?

14. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

They all cover off-piste. You just have to secretly drag yourself back on-piste before you raise the alarm LOL

Ozgirl and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  15. Any

off the top of my head:
    aami
    bupaglobal (aka ihi)
    ouch
    no worries (i think)
    mytravelinsurance
    national seniors
    insure4less (i think)

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  16. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Most of the insurers here who specifically cover off-piste will not insure skiers over 70. This year I had to rely on my credit card insurance which does not exclude of-piste or have an age limit.

17. LMB

What insurance is that ocker?

18. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I didn't do any comparative research. I just relied on the collective wisdom here, and went AAMI. I did read the PDS though!!!

Ozgirl likes this.
  19. fifa

fifa Hard Yards

And if you are a member of National Seniors you receive 10% discount.

From their website:

National Seniors Australia membership is open to any person who:
    • has an interest in seniors’ issues; or
    • is age 50 years or over; or
    • is a spouse / partner of a person who is 50 years or over.
    Membership is available for only $44 for a one year single membership, or $55 for a one year joint membership.
    On renewal, one year memberships are available for $38 for a single membership, or $50 for a joint membership.
    2 year membership is available for $72 for a single member, or $88 for a joint membership.
    3 year membership is available for $105 for a single member, or $132 for a joint membership.
    Lifetime membership is also available at a cost of $473 for a single member, or $627 for a joint membership.

20. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hey guys i found a pretty cool website for comparing ski travel insurance.

As an example i entered a week for one person under 40 in japan - $81 for Amex travel insurance.

Unlimited medical!

Re back country - they had this to say

Skiing Off-Piste
    Adrenaline snow seekers looking for an off-piste thrill should consider cover with First for Women, Budget Direct, Insure and Go, No Worries, Skinsurance.com.au, as ONLY they will cover for off-piste snow fun (when you remain in resort boundaries with a ski instructor).

Interestingly i found no mention of AAMI

21. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

ONLY they will cover for off-piste snow fun (when you remain in resort boundaries with a ski instructor).

So they cover off-piste if you're in bounds with an instructor??

22. Any

wow that like sounds pretty useless cover really.
    the "when you remain in resort boundaries with a ski instructor" part is a double kick in the balls.

inbounds off piste is a bit like playing in the kids sand pit in the back yard instead of going to the beach. 90% of travel insurance companies cover this no questions asked.
    but forcing someone to pay $100-$120 a day for a ski instructor to supervise you in the sand pit is just an insult.

ski resorts already have a duty of care for people in bounds, they spend quite a bit of effort to make things safe. so its even easier for insurance to cover.
    imagine spending the money to travel all the way to disney land, but you find that you're not allowed to go on any of the attractions or do anything unless you have a chauffeur with bubble wrap to keep you safe.

by comparison, most other insurance companies cover unlimited off piste in bounds without a guide or instructor.
    they might charge $100 instead of your $80 comparison quote tho, but its a bit of a no brainer vs $120 a day for a babysitter.

the same companies usually cover off piste out of bounds, so long as you're with a guide.
    but paying $600-$700 a day for off piste skiing is a bit of a joke, especially when you might decide to travel japan for two weeks to make the cost of the flight economical.

instead you can find a top tier insurance company that covers off piste out of bounds, without a guide. but now your example $80 quote is now $120-$150.
    $700 a day vs a slightly more expensive insurance hit, is not a difficult decision to make.

Jacko4650, LMB and Froff Life like this.
  23. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I’ve just read several user reviews based on claims who have used AAMI. While not one of them was based on ski insurance the reviews were all negative and went back around 18 months. Hard to deal with, ignore emails and only paying part of the claims were the main issues. I was all set with AAMI as why I am on several guided backcountry tours this season I’ll also be touring without a guide. I’m now wondering if one of the ski club insures would be the best option. There’s several from the uk that are often recommended when booking Heli and Cat out of North America

24. Any

Reviews are important, but I read them with quite a big chunk of skepticism.
    - you're 10000x more likely to post a bad review than a good one. nobody goes out of their way to submit a good review on 12 different review sites and forums, but a pissed off tourist would.
    (many years ago, I called my local kfc and asked to speak to the manager because I had such a good experience earlier that day in getting a massive pile of food for an impromptu party. took 10minutes to convince them I was calling them for genuine positive feedback and not a complaint, it had never happened before)
    - people paid for insurance, so they feel they must wrought the system to "get their money's worth", and lie about stuff. this seems an especially aussie thing to do. snow now the insurance companies ask you a million questions.
    - insurance companies are in it for a profit, so of course theyll pay the minimum they can get away with.

It'll be interesting to see what you find about club insurances.
    I've found such things hard to find, and/or difficult to understand what they do or dont cover. The wording of some was as if they only cover their local mountain too. Clubs offering insurance seemed a lot more common in Europe than anywhere else in the world.
    My results for Japan are a bit thin. I did find one, but it was for residents only. and I've heard rumor of another in Japan that doesnt, but I was never able to find anything about it or evidence that it even exists.

Froff Life likes this.
  25. gmanpadre

gmanpadre Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

26. Annabuzzy

I have no personal experience of AAMI but there is a bit of “you get what you pay for”. Within the Suncorp suite of brands it’s one of the more discount ones.

I went with them anyway,because at the end of the day they remain a reputable licensed Australian Insurer

27. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Yeah. The main issue is the non guided backcountry. Not many offer this

28. gareth_oau

Has anyone had any experience with QBE’s ski specific travel insurance?

We’ve typically used 1cover for our insurance, but now theyve decided I’m a diabetic over age 50 (the age limit is a new condition for them) they want another $400 out of me, so looking for alternatives

29. smackies

I've had a good experience with QBE. Injured myself in Japan, they were easy to deal with and paid out everything I claimed.

gareth_oau likes this.
  30. Born2ski

My wife is a few years off hitting that problem. A lot of policies now have that age limit for those with diabetes.

You're heading to Canada aren't you ? We took out this Canada specific health insurance on our trip last year. It's more open when it comes to pre-existing health conditions, basically the medical condition just needs to be stable for 90 days prior to the policy start date. https://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/content/tic-visitors

gareth_oau likes this.
  31. gareth_oau

That’s a good website. Thanks for that

So youbuy travel insurance as well as the medical?

32. Born2ski

The last few trips we have because I've had trouble finding travel insurance that covers my pre-existing conditions and the few that do, want to charge like a wounded bull, as you're now discovering with your diabetes.

Personally I don't care to much about insurance that covers all the little things (under $2000). I just want a policy that covers the larger $50k ++ risks without a million exclusions. And it's a real challenge to find that sort of coverage.

33. Annabuzzy

Props to AAMI who agreed to pay out my claim today. Not perfect processes/service, but pretty good, and a good outcome.

Froff Life and Ozgirl like this.
  34. gareth_oau

I filled in all the details for QBE and had to complete an assessment which a real purpose reviewed (as opposed to an online service generically quoting), and their quote was reasonable, so I might use them

35. KL.

KL. One of Us

good information to know

36. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

About to fly out to nz for a week and do heli also -
    Who’s best for travel insurance for NZ with heli cover ?
    Been trying to have a search around to no avail

Any and LMB like this.
  37. LMB

We used Ski Insurance one time, AAMI the second. Not sure if the PDS has changed since then.

Have fun @Chondro - post pics so I can be well jelly.

Any likes this.
  38. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

39. Any

Chaeron likes this.
  40. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I just pulled the pin on AAMI yesterday October - April $1100

41. Any

thanks for the reminder. grabbed mine from aami too, nearly forgot.
    i would like a provider that has better baggage coverage than aami, only $6k max. last time when both my bags were misplaced my rough estimate came out at $20k to replace new for old (i bet you'd be surprised how much yours is if you add it all up!). but ive a heap of favorite gear that you just cant get anymore, i think id pay $20k to just not have to collect it all again ;P

42. Mark*V

Mark*V Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Someone on here recommended Seniors insurance. I got cover for myself 2 teenage kids, one with a medical condition, for $220.
    For 11 days cover when in japan.

43. smackies

I think I pop in here once a year (or more) to say IHI Bupa + Austrian Alpine Club pretty much covers all that you'd likely need.

Kletterer likes this.
  44. Any

AAC's PDS reads: "Medically necessary treatment (including medically necessary transport to a hospital) abroad: up to EUR 10,000.–"
    in Austria hospital fees arent crazy. but anywhere else they get silly.
    EUR10,000 is about enough to buy a pencil in a hospital.
    if shit hits the fan you're stuck.

CarveMan likes this.
  45. smackies

So, the reason I say the two is that AAC will cover search and rescue.

IHI Bupa, as I found out, will only rescue. Not search.

46. Any

I noticed dogtag insurance almost by accident today, i saw an ad for it when looking up snow reports (lol, rain reports) around japan.
    i only looked at it quickly, but their higher level options seems to include off piste backcountry skiing.
    the policy doesn't have huge medical cover, $100k, nor too much in the way of luggage insurance, $3k, but its cheaper than aami and seems to be available to residents of any country.
    https://www.dogtag.com/

47. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

But who are they underwritten by ?

48. Any

49. Any

someone mentioned https://travelinsurancesaver.com.au/Snow-Travel-Insurance/ on facebook today
    its backed by QBE, but appears to use QBE's old pds (similar to wespac) suggesting that off-piste is still covered.

theres not many options, but its good to see a few more popping up out of the woodwork

50. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I got the pds of covermore from a travel agent on another forum. It appears to cover everything from offpiste without a guide and out of resort boundaries to cat and heli. Going to compare it head to head with aAAMI

Olgreg likes this.