1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Any

Any One of Us

someone else recommended covermore on facebook the other day so i already had the pds handy
    they're one of the worst ive seen, because instead of adding exceptions they add a very tight inclusion.
    "our Winter Sports add-on only covers you if: You are skiing or snowboarding on-piste;"
    so if you hit that little tiny bit of off-piste on the side of a run, you're not covered :/

perhaps this inclusion style wording has confused some people expecting to see off-piste exclusions instead.

dawooduck likes this.
  2. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I’ve just had a quick read and like AAMI it is very vague. This insurance is for flight Centre customers. It does say “when skiing outside piste boundaries” you are covered. My issue is if I’ve never entered a resort. Are “outside piste boundaries” inside resort only. Agent says no but I wouldn’t trust flight Centre as far as I could kick them. I’ve got Oscars number and have used it several timed over the years to fix problems the staff have promised but clearly we’re just running their mouths.

Short of it is, Covermore via flight Centre does appear to cover off piste and is quite similar to AAMI. I will need to compare luggage cover now as the standard 2 or 3k covers nothing on most policies

3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Cover-More, offered by some travel agent franchises as agents, covers less. Cancellation cover of prepaid expenses is quite limited and you have to pay more and more the higher the limit adding many $100s to the cost. Likewise skiing or snow activity of any sort is excluded unless you elect to include for extra cost but even then it will only cover groomed runs. I reckon that they pay travel agents a whopping commission. For example excluding even that option the travel agent I went through to book would have charged $390 whereas Seniors online cost me $220 for same trip with the only snow exclusion being if it was being engaged in professionally plus had unlimited cancellation of pre-paid expenses cover.

Same travel agent quoted $690 for a cruise vacation with nil cover for pre-paid expenses for which the prepayment cost is $35K. On the Cover-More web site $680 bought about $11K prepaid expenses cover and for $35K quoted $1340. From 1Cover the policy had unlimited prepaid expenses cover plus cruise cover for $263.

Zurich underwrite Cover-More and Allianz do 1Cover and Chubb do Seniors so from that point of view they would be pretty much the same so the sceptic in me reckons on a cosy arrangement going between Cover-More and some travel franchises esp how MrsOG fell for the $690 quote when offered the bait of needing cover for the prepaid expenses of $35K.

dawooduck likes this.
  4. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

What Covermore PDS and coverage are we referring to? The 'Snow Sports +' policy seems to cover off-piste well, but the trip up could be the 'against local advice or warning'

5. Any

Any One of Us

yeah someone said it was something like this.
    but when i downloaded the pds it wasnt there :/

6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I’d say make sure you read the Avy warnings for that day and if they suggest danger then you’d likely not be covered. But if that was the case you should really be rethinking your bc adventures anyway.

7. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Doesn’t AAMI read similar, ie against local warnings. I think most of them are similar. Very rarely are all 3 tiers extreme so there are always some safe options. I cannot recall, although I’m sure it happens, that a local council will close a mountain range. So you’re never actually going against local warning

8. Any

Any One of Us

I think its very reasonable that an insurance agency would require you to check local reports/etc.
    I dont remember seeing anything about reports or much ski restrictions at all in aami's docs, but it could be there and I just skimmed over it.
    however you can only account for so much lack of common sense. that guy who died on yotei last spring tried skiing down in the dark without lights.

9. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So Covermore and AAMI policies are looking pretty similar then? AAMI is certainly the cheaper option, could be the winner!

10. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I asked these questions, and as yet no response
    I have a couple of concerns about the wording of the snow sports + policy

Wording from Policy Document

when skiing or snowboarding outside
    piste boundaries, You are not going
    against local advice or warning;

Two scenarios

Leaving the resort boundary has signs saying "out of bounds"and is roped off. (edge of resort area)- is this local advice and/or warning?

Scenario- if I catch a resort lift and then go out past this sign/rope am I covered. But

If I don't catch resort lift and walk into the mountains without going into the resort- would I be covered

Every day Mountainwatch and Japan met put out avalanche warnings and snow condition reports, The avalanche warning could be very very low chance but they still issue to make people aware. Is this classed as a warning in the sense of the PDS and therefore there would be no cover?

11. Jong

Jong First Runs

I'm looking into aami after a number of other options have either not covered the kind of off piste backcountry skiing id like to do or been to expensive. I refuse to believe that aami only excludes competitive snow sports but as far as i can see that's all the pds mentions about snowsports. so i emailed them and got a very prompt reply. I beat around the bush in my original email which gave me a response that was a little to succinct for my liking. Am i just being cynical in thinking they've got more to hide?

Attached Files:

12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you are offered insurance through a 3rd party, including travel agents, ask your questions in writing in advance. Get responses. If the agent is wrong you can hunt them down and kill them if there is a shortfall.

cornice11 likes this.
  13. LMB

They’ve just required the PDS.
    And no wonder. Your question didn’t really ask what you wanted to know.

How about ...
    “Am I covered if I go off piste into side country and back country adjacent to the resort?”

Olgreg likes this.
  14. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep,and be prepared to explain to a non skier what all that means

15. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I have done exhaustive recent research looking at various travel insurance options. AAMI might cover off-piste, but they get pretty terrible on-line reviews in terms of willingness to pay out on claims, poor customer service, etc. They also seem to have a “depreciated-for-old” replacement value for lost or stolen items, as opposed to “new for old”. So buyer beware! SureSave cover off-piste skiing and backcountry (with a guide) but they are very expensive. Good hunting! I’m veering towards RACV at this stage (I need an insurer who will cover cancellation costs if an elderly relative at home falls ill or worse ... many of them will not cover anyone over a certain age, eg 80)

16. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

I just went with RACQ we selected snow cover and zero excess and it was cheap with my club card. We are only after on piste as will be skiing with the 5&8yr old. They were good when dealing with my parents claim, so customer service seems ok.

17. Olgreg

AAMI confirmed with me by email that they cover for off piste in resort, OOB with or without a guide , and cat skiing, so long it’s not for competition or payment

rikedwards, LMB and Froff Life like this.
  18. Any

Any One of Us

their support staff probably tired of answering the same questions over and over again :p

Olgreg and LMB like this.
  19. SkiBeach

SkiBeach Hard Yards

Haha.......I just emailed AAMI yesterday asking them the same questions I've been asking them every year for the last 6 years ie covering off piste, sidecountry, cat skiing, backcountry with a guide, without a guide etc etc and sure enough I get the same answer every time.....yes to all.

Olgreg likes this.
  20. LMB

They should just ADD IT to the PDS.

21. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Wash your mouth out! Commonsense gets you nowhere in this day and age

Olgreg, Froff Life and LMB like this.
  22. Any

Any One of Us

my understanding is that PDS is the primary legally binding document for your insurance, and so it has to be worded properly and scrutinized by fancy overpriced lawyers.
    not only would it be difficult to add every single sport and description of different types of backcountry skiing / off piste skiing / off piste out of bounds skiing / off piste out of gate skiing / alpine touring / ski mountaineering / slackcountry skiing / backcountry skiing, but you can guarantee that most people aren't gonna read it anyway. even if they do they'll probably still call up and ask if their obscure description of randonee skiing is still covered. in the end, you'll only have wasted money updating the pds, for no reason other than to appease an obscure forum group of mountain junkies ;P

23. Olgreg

I’ve also spoken to Australian Seniors insurance for over 50’s.
    They don’t do emails but when I expressed my need for certainty, I got a reference number for the call and an assurance that it was recorded and accessible if needed. That are cheaper than AAMI, and the PDS doesn’t mention skiing of any sort as an exclusion. I sought and got an assurance that all off piste etc etc was covered. I’ll phone the same guy-got his direct number- and recheck. Anyone used them? No abuse from the young please.

24. Any

Any One of Us

last year i was considering using national seniors travel insurance. instigated them last year because my parents used them once, and they happened to ask about off piste while on the phone. they did cover off piste, and "young people" are allowed to use them also you dont have to be an old fart.
    i didnt end up using them because they dont cover cat skiing or snowmobiling or usa. one of those, i forget. but otherwise they were one of my top options. i dont care what the name is. when i called they were really open about it, said insurance is all about covering the risk of paying out. their main risk factor is cancellations, so a small number of youngins making other types of claims will be mostly under the radar.
    sounds like australian seniors insurance is the same sort of deal.

25. LMB

Hang on... wait... WHAT?
    50 is “Seniors”

:eek: :(

Olgreg, Luv my K2s and Any like this.
  26. Olgreg

My kids would say yes. I couldn’t possibly comment

Any and LMB like this.
  27. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

I got my cover from National Seniors Australia, recommended on the forum somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread

Olgreg likes this.
  28. shepski

shepski Addicted

I got a quote from them last week and they called the other day to follow up so I had a chat with them and she said the same thing regarding off piste etc. For 18 Jan to 7 Feb was $245 for two people which seems very reasonable with snow cover. It's not just for over 50's either, we're 38 & 33 and they're happy to cover us.

29. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

The problem I have with Australian Seniors travel insurance is it doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions. And it's worse than many other standard travel insurance policies because you can't even add a pre-exisiting condition for an extra premium.

It's the SENIORS travel insurance that only covers seniors in near perfect health. :confused:

Any likes this.
  30. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

I got into a big fight with one of them a while back about that.

31. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Cheap though. Online quote of $185 for two weeks to Japan for four of us. Can't bring myself to buy seniors anything though or read another PDS.

32. rikedwards

rikedwards Hard Yards

Just purchased cover for the bubs and +1 for 10 days through 1cover, cheaper than AAMI and perfect for our inbounds skiing in Nozawa.

Born2ski likes this.
  33. ithilmar

ithilmar Hard Yards

Also booked through 1cover for 2 adults for 10 days for recent trip. They were not the absolute cheapest but close to and had better inclusions than other policies I looked at. They allow for some off-piste skiing as long as close to groomed runs. We did no have to claim so can't comment on that.

34. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Funny little clause in their PDS that says they wont cover you if any of the resort is below 1000m. Need to watch this if you are going to Japan as it omits a significant amount of the resorts there. I phoned and checked and they confirmed no cover.

35. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just got AAMI cover for my upcoming trip to Japan, a week of cover, seems to cover everything snow sports related bar competetive skiing, and came to $127. Pretty decent.

LMB and Froff Life like this.
  36. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

WTF would they not cover lower altitudes?

So a ski descent of Mont Blanc, no worries. Doddering around on the lower pistes in Japow, don't even think about it.

Weird...

37. LMB

It is.
    Very.

38. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

Does the policy that has the 1000m exclusion clause have coverage for piste closures due to lack of snow? I have seen policies that will refund accommodation, lift tickets and rentals if there's not enough snow for the resort to open but the fine print excludes lower elevation resorts, which the insurer thinks have more risk of rain/snow melt.

Laska Goralska, LMB and Ozgirl like this.
  39. LMB

That makes sense.
    Quite possibly it has been applied to everywhere for every situation by some desk jockey who has never seen snow.

Mark*V likes this.
  40. shepski

shepski Addicted

Great pickup, I did not see this in the pds and the person I spoke to was adamant that I'd be covered everywhere. The more you know hey!

41. Any

Any One of Us

you will probably find this has to do with cancellations. insurance's biggest expense is cancellations.
    they dont cover holiday cancellations if the ski resort is below 1000m because the snow quality is less reliable.
    ie, you cancel your ski holiday because its all still grass, the ski resort isn't open yet.

accident/medical/etc is probably still covered at lower altitudes.

42. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Anyone had any experience in physiotherapy cover? I had to use the physio on my recent trip and my insurance policy did not cover unless I was referred by a doctor. So the first trip to the physio was not covered and then apparently the doctor has to specify how many times I need to go the physio, which he didn't, so I'm only covered for the one physio appt. after the Doctor visit. Interestingly Hakuba physio claim that their fees are insurance claimable for all policies.

43. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

these guys just told me cover was for on piste only. I quote:

Furthermore, our Underwriters have confirmed that the policy is only intended to cover recreational skiing at a ski resort. This does not include off-piste skiing, ski-racing and extreme skiing since that would be considered an extreme sport where special training is required.

44. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And AAMI wins again.

Just checked my ANZ Black included travel insurance and whilst skiing in not excluded nor even mentioned in the PDS the woman on the phone said to me that they do cover it - if my activity is not affected by the exclusions and so she very pointedly said "that you take all due care"

So stuff that! AAMI it is for two people 16days... $260 its a no brainer!

LMB likes this.
  45. Ozgirl

and I'll probably need it... who knows what crazy adventures @LMB is likely to take us on! LOL

sara777 likes this.
  46. LMB

LOL
    Nah... I’ve been rather tame this trip so far!

47. Ozgirl

yeah but you haven't had us to egg you on/join in!!

48. LMB

This would be true!!

Ozgirl likes this.
  49. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Jeez that’s pathetic if true I spoke to rep chasing annual renewal at seniors a coupla months ago and they said bc off piste etc was covered as the pds does only exclude racing etc. Anyway took out at a one trip policy plus Austrian alpine club membership. What’s more seniors just renewed my annual without asking (cc charged) while I was covered for the same period by one trip. Interesting to hear any claims experience with them. Doubt I will use again I reckon there is a bit of “gouging” going on with ski coverage, particularly bc off piste.

50. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

We unfortunately had to make a claim on our 1Cover insurance when my son fractured his leg skiing in Furano last month. Had no problems making contact with them while in Japan via phone and email. Back in Australia I emailed them a copy of our receipts and the money was in my bank account in under a week. 1Cover came through with flying colours. Now dealing with an Aussie hospital once we got back, well that's a whole different story. :rolleyes: