1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Is the boy healing well?

2. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Did he manage to get in to the wave pool at Tomamu?
    Good to know the insurance was hassle free.
    AAMI came through for us with the cost of MrsBoofs unused accomodation. So we’ve had a good experience with them.

3. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Cast came off earlier this week so after 5 weeks in a cast he is learning to walk again.

No floating in the wave pool. He had to survive with a caramel milkshake watching from the sidelines on a deck chair.

Melskius and BoofHead like this.
  4. Trail Blazer

Trail Blazer Part of the Furniture

AAMI has worked well for us before. Most policies seem to allow skiing but stop short of off piste. AAMI doesn't rule out off piste, though it excludes competitive skiing (not really an issue if it's just a holiday).

Claims for non-ski holidays in the past have been easy.

5. brett gordon

brett gordon Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Have just made a claim on 1Cover. lodged claim at 12.30pm and received a confirmation of acceptance at 1.15pm. Covered hospital, taxi fares from hospital, international fees charged on CC, missed days on ski lift and missed days for boot hire. Not a ski related accident. +1 slipped exiting restaurant, wrist and facial fractures. very impressed with processing time frame though had sent an earlier email outlining incident and flagging future claim. have been using 1Cover for o/s ski trips for over 7 years. first claim.

LMB, Froff Life and Ozgirl like this.
  6. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Some reflections on Australian seniors’ travel insurance, whom I mentioned a few pages back. My Japan trip was early February, and I had some concern when in Tokyo I read earlier comments about them not covering skiing at low altitude resorts. I could find nothing about that in the PDS, and when I phoned they assured me there was no such exclusion. So far so good.
    After 8 days skiing we had to cut short our trip as our granddaughter was sick in hospital. She’s fine now- glandular fever in a five yo??- but it was a bad time. We always book through Deep Powder Tours, and Dale, one of the owners who was in resort, got us home in under 20 hours.
    Pleased to say that Seniors (Chubb) covered the claim in full, additional airfares ( nearly $5000 for two of us in a creaky old jumbo), pro rata for unused accomodation and lift tickets. Five day turnaround. I’m impressed.
    BTW as I read PDS for a Europe trip soon, don’t go near Budget Direct for any off piste at all. They cover heli and cat ski, but then deny cover for any slope that is not prepared and patrolled unless you have a massively qualified instructor with you.
    Thanks for reading

LMB likes this.
  7. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Seniors which we have used but never claimed. Your claim appears to be not ski accident related though. The point of my comment though is about a recent email communication with them re ‘back country’ cover. Despite the pds and a phone conversation not excluding it these emails are quite clear that ‘back country’ is not covered. Questioning this apparent contradiction led to totally inadequate and uninformed replies. I gave up. Looks like it’s aami or bupa coupled with Austrian alpine club coverage. It would be good to get a
    some claim history/ experience for bc injuries. IMO additional premiums for ski coverage are a rip off when , for example, you don’t need additional coverage riding a pushy in a city which is probably more dangerous.rant over.

LMB likes this.
  8. Olgreg

They’re giving contradictory info then. On the previous page I posted back in November that I confirmed by phone with them that they covered back country, recorded call, reference number etc, and later confirmed that it covered search and rescue. Up to all of us to do careful homework with providers, it seems.

9. SnowflakesRule

SnowflakesRule Hard Yards

So after everything finally fell into place and I had the go ahead to look into skiing in Canada at the end of the year, I went and took a nice little fall of my own and broke a bone in my foot (fifth metatarsal). 6 weeks non-weight bearing thankfully no surgery as long as the healing goes nicely. Ski trip prep is on hold until the next check up with the doctor and x-ray in 5 ish weeks which admittedly means pushing out luck for finding something for 4 weeks to a month around that time,not to mention airfares, but it is what it is. :emoji_cry:.

I've had a quick look at some pds on travel insurance websites and googled to try and find information about what the deal is if we do go at the end of the year, assuming healing goes well. Can't find anything (possibly looking in the wrong place) that specifically says what the deal is with a broken bone. Will look at emailing the insurers directly in a few days when I'm not so tired and the brain is working better but wondered if any knowledgable forumites here could give me an idea of whether this could be covered or not, or time before it doesn't become an issue for the insurers.

Thanks very much.

10. Any

Any One of Us

most of them have a broad disclaimer about not covering anything related to preexisting conditions. so if you have complications directly related to the break then they probably wont cover it.
    but 6 months away sounds plenty well enough time to heal tho. so as long as a doctor doesn't say it's a result of your previous break then you should be able to break yourself again and be covered.

be mindful of the doctor's recovery time estimates/etc, those estimates are for very basic usability, walk from couch to kitchen type deal. for sports n stuff you can double or triple the estimates. i fall for the optimistic recovery times all the time (i'm up to 22 fractures now) and then at estimate+1 day i realize its not going to be as easy peasy.

SnowflakesRule likes this.
  11. LMB

Read above.
    Thought JESUS who is the daredevil on 22 fractures.
    Looked up at forum name.
    Ooooohhhhh!
    Yep.
    This boy knows his breaks!

I’ve had good results with quicker than normal healing (for me) taking supplements D3, K2, calcium, and collagen. Bone broth is good. Also Comfrey Cream and increasing blood flow to the area. Low inflammation lifestyle also helps - no sugar, no booze, loads of greens, plenty sleep.

However yes, you’ll likely not be covered if you re injure that same area.

Any and SnowflakesRule like this.
  12. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It will be a predisposed injury and you won’t be covered for that foot/bone I would think. In any case you will have to disclose it.

13. SnowflakesRule

Oh my! 22! Just my first, which isn't too bad for 44 years.
    Thanks for the advice @Any Appreciate it. I've got one main aim over the next 5 weeks now, rest the foot as completely as I can and get a good report at the doctors and get driving as soon as possible (just little under 60k driving to and from the school run. Once I can do that life for hubby can go back to mostly normal! I don't mind if I have to walk around with the support of the crutches, but at the moment life is crazy for the poor guy who has to do my running around for the kids plus work. Thankfully they've been great and are letting him flexi-work from home.

I'd much rather take my time and get a proper recovery then push too early and make it worse.

Any likes this.
  14. SnowflakesRule

Thanks @LMB Have ordered some D & Calcium supplements and will look further into the others.
    Sleep is a work in progress. Getting comfy as I'm usually a side sleeper is taken some effort.

Yeah, figured i wouldn't be covered if the same one breaks within a certain time frame. Just need to hunt down a decent insurer who be nice. Oh well, plenty of time while I put my foot up.

15. Any

Any One of Us

you can disclose before hand and get an existing condition covered on your insurance.
    but if you dont want it covered, or you know they wont cover it, or you think they will charge too much to add the extra cover, you dont need to disclose beforehand.
    instead, when you make a medical related claim, they will ask for authority to contact your doctor for your records. then their own medical people analyze the claim vs your medical report to determine if the claim is related to an existing condition or not.
    did the forms n stuff for a claim after i had what they thought was viral pneumonia during the 2018-19 season. there's funny story about cough suppressant drugs containing dxm in there too :p turns out its also a party drug.

16. chicski

I would think if you didn’t disclose, you risk voiding the entire contract.

17. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

There are provisions within insurance contract law for "innocent non-disclosure", where the insured party legitimately believed they had no reason to disclose the issue to the insurer.

In this instance, the very fact that the question is being asked removes the chance of innocent non-disclosure being applied.

SnowflakesRule and chicski like this.
  18. brett gordon

brett gordon Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

spiral fracture in fifth metatarsal week before japan ski trip. playing basketball. plenty of pain killers and skied for 2 weeks. came back with fully displaced spiral fracture. 6 weeks in moon boot then back on court. extra calcium helps with healing. don't be afraid to walk on the foot but would suggest a moon boot. provides good support.

19. Any

Any One of Us

i have attempted to 'disclose' some of my conditions before, not for coverage, just for full disclosure. not only do insurers seem confused by this, they seemed annoyed that i even called and bothered them. told me to simply do nothing.

SnowflakesRule and nezumi like this.
  20. LMB

I’ve found the same.
    I’ve learned to just shut up and not claim for anything I know is an existing issue. My insurance is really only there for critical injuries or body repat anyway.

Son #3 went boarding 6 months post spiral tib fib break. We made sure we had enough cash accessible if he broke it again. He just went easy and discomfort naturally limited him anyway.

21. chicski

From the AAMI PDS

“When we agree to insure you....our decision relies on the accuracy of the information you give us. If the information is not accurate, we can ... deny any claim you may make or cancel the policy”

Deliberately give inaccurate info and you may find yourself uninsured, for everything.

22. SnowflakesRule

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice and the stories.

I'd rather disclose it and pay a little more just in case to make sure it's covered, especially given that all I did was fall down one step! Falls skiing, you would think, would be more risky than that, though I guess with the ski boot being so nice and hard, the risks to the foot are probably much lower, the leg not so much.

@brett gordon Thanks. Thinking of heading to the doctor for a chat and advice. Fracture clinic is a bit of a blur now and can't quite remember what he told me I could do. After a little research,a spiral fracture may be what I have in the mid shaft area, it's the most like what I've done that i can find anyway. I came away with a mixed impression from the Clinic of staying off it for 6 weeks yet I could take the moonboot off to sleep or when I had my foot up which has me a touch confused. So much information out there too.

23. SnowflakesRule

Yeah, that's what concerns me. I'd rather give too much than not enough. Thanks.

chicski likes this.
  24. silva

silva One of Us

When my husband smashed his wrist (19 screws and 3 plates required to piece it all back together) in October before a January snow trip we used Insure and Go for medical as they go through a full disclosure and medical clearance for each person on the policy. Ended up using standard insurance with aami for the rest of the family and taking out a the special policy for him only with Insure and Go. From memory needed to add snow cover and then his arm injury and the policy was about $40 more expensive than the plain policy. Only hitch was Insure and Go winter sports policy does not include snow parks (terrain parks) but he is not into that anyway.

25. Olgreg

Interesting @silva does it. Over off piste and out of bounds?

26. silva

silva One of Us

Its a few years since I used it so I would suggest you would need to go through the PDS with a fine tooth comb. From memory off piste was only covered with a guide. Hubby still had all the hardware in when we went so a reinjury would have almost certainly meant surgery so we wanted something to cover it just in case. We used it to specifically cover that and had other travel insurance (for the whole family) in case of any other mishap.
    Its one trap I have found with credit card based insurance - their version of pre-existing for breaks and strains has no limitations - if you broke your arm as a child and break the same bone 20 years later technically they can claim it was a pre-existing condition (not saying that they would do so but technically they can). I asked as I have had a knee reconstruction 15 years ago - they said that if I injured that knee it would not be covered by credit card cover even though it has been fine for 14 years. Other companies I have asked have said that their definition of a pre-existing condition is anything you have sought medical attention for in the last 12 months - much more realistic.

Any likes this.
  27. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

I briefly touched on insurance on my other thread asking about getting started in off-piste, so adding my findings here.

Initially I looked at Budget Direct - with my multi policy discount an annual premium for 2 adults would have been $285 which is very cheap. But their off-piste T&C says that it has to be with an instructor, so I am not too comfortable with that clause if it means no cover for veering a meter off the marker.

I took a look at CoverMore, but it looks like they are excluding off-piste entirely.

I'm currently looking at AAMI and sent them a message to confirm (which based on this thread, it seems a lot ppl have done). So for AAMI there is no need to add any snow pack and its all just part of their standard travel insurance?

EDIT: AAMI just confirmed within minutes - yes snow is part of standard, yes to off-piste BC etc. (cut & paste job).

Olgreg, Ozgirl and Jacko4650 like this.
  28. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Cover-More Snow Sports + Cover, good for offpiste, heli etc

29. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

OIC!Is there a special option once I've filled in more details? I only see the slider to enalbe standard Winter Sports

30. Any

Any One of Us

Please note: Even if you pay the extra premium you will not be covered if:
    • You are skiing or snowboarding off-piste

They put it up front, no need to read the PDS even.

I dont mean to call you out @Untele-whippet, its just that shitty insurance companies make me freaking angry!

Ozgirl likes this.
  31. Any

Any One of Us

I just quickly looked at their PDS.
    Its even more restrictive than I expected, its inclusive rather than exclusive, they need to say that its included or it isn't.
    Even if You pay the extra premium, You will only be covered if:
    • You are skiing or snowboarding On-Piste;​

Seeing as I'm half done, I'm updating my doc to include covermore.

(click to open)

Mont Man, Gregah and LMB like this.
  32. Untele-whippet

No that’s fine.
    I chatted to them online, got screen shots, saying Id be covered off piste out of boundaries, if not against local warnings.
    I dunno!
    Cheers

Any likes this.
  33. Untele-whippet

This is the explanation I got from Cover-More re off piste and out of bounds

34. Any

Any One of Us

i seem to remember that some of their doco said you could contact them if you wanted to add extra ski related stuff, so maybe you lucked upon it.
    with a guide i think you're extra safe anyway, even the restrictive insurers seen allow you off piste with a guide. youre taking every step to prevent harm and ski responsibly.

35. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So it the news you have all been waiting for...

I finally got the official 'yes, we are covering you' from AAMI.

Was an interesting and tense couple of days.

Word of warning. Call insurance ASAP. I wouldn't have had as long a wait if I had called on Friday. I called Saturday instead 'see what physio say' was my group's opinion. Turns out whilst there is 24/7 medical assistance hotline there isn't a 24/7 claims approval line.

So I was technical stranded today as my group were driving to Christchurch and everyone agreed that wasn't smart (everyone being Dr and insurance nursing staff) so I stayed behind whilst waiting for the official word.

So with the first phone call they asked me what resort and what run, there was no lying! They also wanted a report from ski patrol. I giggled!

They also wanted to know if I was in a sled off the mountain. Again I giggled and asked if a makeshift sled out of a snowboard to a chopper was acceptable?

Then (because AAMI is under written by allianz and I was calling their helpdesk) they asked " I assume you purchased additional cover for Heli?" Cue my heart jumping in my mouth but I managed to say "um no because AAMI don't require it"

So I have now officially tested AAMI's heli and back country cover.

You're welcome!

Olgreg, sara777, nezumi and 6 others like this.
  36. chicski

Awesome thanks! Will keep my cover :)

Ozgirl likes this.
  37. Any

Any One of Us

Woah rollercoaster with that heli question!

Ozgirl likes this.
  38. LMB

Vote of THANKS for the Crash Test Dummy!!

nezumi, Any and Ozgirl like this.
  39. Ozgirl

LOL

I love you too!

LMB likes this.
  40. Ozgirl

Yeah!

They also kept insisting on a ski patrol report for my official documents.

I asked if the head of Mt Cook search and rescue (one of our guides) was enough.

LMB and nezumi like this.
  41. Ozgirl

Also, not sure if anyone else has looked into them but the rest of my group got heli coverage through NRMA travel insurance.

42. Any

Any One of Us

!!!!!!
    NRMA:
    Even if You pay the extra premium, You will only be covered if:
    • You are skiing or snowboarding On-Piste;​

lucky it was you not them!

edit, i just updated my doc

LMB and Ozgirl like this.
  43. Ozgirl

I'll tell them!

What did you change?

44. Any

Any One of Us

i added nrma to my doc. it wasnt there before.

Ozgirl likes this.
  45. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Any experience with Apia travel insurance?
    Scrub that. They don't cover Japan or North America

46. Ozgirl

FYI AAMI seems to be under written by allianz.

Any likes this.
  47. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

Any, is that document shareable? I am travelling with a group to Japan in February and some questions have started re insurance. Your table is an excellent summary and will answer a lot of those questions.

Cheers

48. Ozgirl

Just get AAMI

End of discussion!

49. breedlee

breedlee Hard Yards

Yeah I saw that, but the group I am going with like to over think things.

50. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Interesting.

When we made a claim with 1Cover insurance earlier this year for my boy's fractured leg, they asked two ski related questions.

1. Was your son skiing on piste or off piste ? (even though they cover both). He was on piste.

2. Was he wearing a helmet ? . Yes he was.

No ski patrol report asked for, just the Doctor's report and then receipts once we got back to OZ.

P.S Sorry to hear about your injury Ozgirl.