1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ski storage on stop overs

Discussion in 'Passport' started by zac150, Aug 29, 2019.

1. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So our current plans have us stopping in the us for a few days either side of our ski adventure. I’m not keen on lugging ski bags around so have been looking at bag storage for a few days. I’ve searched the web and most airports offer the service, but at $30 a bag this adds up quick. We have checked other sites and came across Vertoe and similar air bnb style services for bags.

So where, who, price and service, tell us about the experience you’ve had, i have got so many great tips from this site I figure this will also help some.

To start

I have used Vancouver airport bag store, I can’t remember the price as for a day I didn’t worry. But the service was good.

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As mentioned before, Nadi has a big storage area at the airport. Fairly cheap, can’t remember exact price. Guy working there was on Fiji time, patience required.

Otherwise price has meant lugging, apart from Japan who lead the world in luggage storage/forwarding.

zac150 likes this.
  3. zac150

Haha looking at bagbnb we actually found the hotel we are staying at are part of the service! So we are checking into the hotel for a night, and checking our bags in for four nights!

We were quoted $30 a bag at airport, $15 at a storage facility and are paying $6 for this storage.

chicski and LMB like this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I wrote this a few years ago, but it is probably still reasonably current

Schlepping the Gear On Arrival
    It is good to have your own gear with you (particularly boots). However, ski and board gear is not much use for anything else, and is bulky and inconvenient. It is really inconvenient if you want to do a bit of travelling before or after sliding. There are some solutions to the problem.

Having a ski bag can also reduce options for ground transport in cities. You may need a van, instead of a normal taxi, and some shuttles will not take ski bags (although most will). You can fit skis into most ordinary taxis if you recline the front passenger seat of the taxi right back and put the skis into the front footwell from the back door. This requires a cooperative driver, but, inthis contributor's experience, most are.

If you hire a car several hire companies have ski packages so that your car comes with roof racks and (maybe) snow tyres. If you can't get a car with roof racks they can be bought for not much money.

North America
    Hire
    Upside is that you do not have to worry about anything until you arrive. Downside is that you are restricted to what the hire shop has. Most have premium hire. Another solution is to hire "demo" gear from a ski or board shop. You will pay hire (and possibly higher) rates but you will have a choice of skis or boards which you can swap on a daily basis. It might be wise to check with local shops first to make sure that they are OK with this.

You can also hire boots. If you want to.

Leave If your pre or post riding travel will start or end in the same spot many hotels will let you leave stuff in a box room, usually at no charge. You may be expected to stay at least a night at each end of your trip. You will certainly be expected to tip the bell captain (which may solve the problem of the need to stay). Leaving ski or snowboard gear in the box room means they do not clutter your room while you are staying at the hotel.

There are also other short term storage solutions. There are at least three companies that service Los Angeles airport. They will collect luggage from the airport Lax Luggage Storage or MBI Enterprises (tel:(310) 646 7460), Aer Ex (tel:(310) 670 2834) and LAX International Baggage Service (tel:(310) 646 0222).

Los Angeles Airport does not have a left luggage facility. In San Francisco, left-luggage is available at the Airport Travel Agency, in the International Terminal between check in concourses 10 and 11. Vancouver airport has a left luggage facility on the lower level called CDS Baggage Storage (tel: 604 303 4519). This facility was also an agent for Fedex and Greyhound. This makes shipping gear very easy. Left luggage can be a very expensive option. Be careful.

There are a couple of travel blogs that suggest that some Christian Science Reading Rooms will store luggage at a reasonable price. It may be worth contacting them.

Courier Companies such as FedEx or UPS will deliver parcels anywhere in the US or Canada. There are depots near all major airports. You can consign your gear to your accommodation and it will be waiting for you when you arrive. Check with your accommodation before you do this. It usually works with hotels that have a front desk and a box room. It is more difficult if you are staying in a house or condo with no on site staff. Gear can also be consigned to a depot near the airport to be collected on your way home. You can also send gear by Greyhound. This is a cheaper option, but you have to collect it from the depot. There is no delivery to the door.

These methods are relatively simple intra country, but can be a bit tricky (and expensive) across borders.

The left luggage facility on the lower level of Vancouver airport called CDS Baggage Storage (tel: 604 303 4519) was also an agent for Fedex and Greyhound. This made shipping gear very easy as you could ship direct from the terminal. I am not sure if this facility still exists - it did in 1999 and I cannot see why it would not still work. Ring them and see.

Of course you can go the whole hog and ship everything to and from Australia, at some expense. In October 2007 Pack and Send gave an estimate of $380 for a double Sportube ski box from Sydney to Sun Peaks. There may be other ways of doing it.

Another service is Jetta Express is a service that will send luggage as unaccompanied baggage at a cheaper rate than excess baggage. You have to collect it from the airport within a couple of days of landing. Luggage Forward is a US based service that will do door to door. This contributor used Luggage Forward to ship two pairs of skis and some ancillary stuff (in one Sportube box) from Snowmass to Sydney in 2014. Price was USD349. They delivered a pack with all documentation prepared and ready to sign. The gear was picked up from reception after we left and was waiting in my office when I arrived home after a week's post-skiing travel.
    http://www.wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Travel#Schlepping_the_Gear_On_Arrival

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Where exactly are you talking about? One thing I have done in India is book a hotel for a night before and after the side trip and leave bags there in between for a few days at no extra charge.

6. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

7. zac150

We are in San Fran, and yes we are asking the hotel now we know they have the service to see if they will charge. That said I have left bags at hotel and they lost something (long story) and no cover or apology offered. I’m happy to pay the extra to have the additional insurance especially as they are four large bags.

@Legs Akimbo this is a good summary and hopefully this thread will update some of the info. In San Francisco there is now a second bag drop outside the airport which is half the price, we would have used this service if we didn’t find the hotel we are staying at offer the service.

8. chicski

We just dragged out bags with us in SFO. Airport storage was too expensive. Instead we had a large Uber who we also prebooked for the return trip. Cheaper than storage.

9. zac150

At $24 a day we are happy to pay, especially as we are headed to Yosemite so it meant being able to hire a smaller car.

chicski likes this.
  10. zac150

Hmmmm not sure, as a tele skier this system wouldn’t work as hiring gear is a pita.

That said I hate advertising etc that features tenuous claims. I would doubt any pro skier wouldn’t travel without gear or wouldn’t be able to pick up gear from sponsors when they land.

These guys have there gear seriously dialled in.

Wasn’t their stories of the down hill skier at the Olympics who took some ridiculous number of skis?

Anyway I also found it strange you couldn’t check out the gear list without subscribing!

Sure if I was on a round the world holiday I’d probably sign up especially if I was surfing in Australia then going skiing etc this would work or if headed to Europe on spending a few weeks touring and weeks skiing i reckon this system would be awesome.

But I still prefer my own skis so figure the stress of carrying them or needing storage no issue. If I was traveling more than skiing this may be a different story.

11. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yeah, I’m the same. I Don’t consider carrying my gear a hassle. I’m used to it.

12. zac150

Also hiring gear would likely cost the same or more than storing for a day or so in our case no chance we could hire gear for four people for 15days skiing for less than $100.

#12 zac150, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    DPS Driver likes this.
  13. chicski

I would only hire if my bag was lost. Or if I ended up at a ski hill unplanned.