Ski Touring Routes in Hokkaido

Rob Thomson

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2016
Hokkaido, Japan
www.14degrees.org
Hi all,

I am new here. I am a Kiwi living and working in Hokkaido, Japan (working at a university in research).

I thought I would share an information page I've put together about ski touring in Hokkaido. It's not super comprehensive yet, but it includes trip reports and route maps of the backcountry ski trips I've done on the weekends over the last few years here in Hokkaido.

Hokkaido Ski Touring Routes: http://www.14degrees.org/hokkaido-backcountry-ski-touring-routes/

While there's a mountain of information in Japanese about backcountry skiing in Hokkaido (e.g., the excellent Hokkaido Snowy-mountain Guide book), there isn't much info out there in English.

So this is my small effort to make things a little bit more accessible.

It is a free conglomeration of trips I've done over the years. GPS route files, mountain hut information, and trip reports.

Cheers,
Rob

www.14degrees.org

--------------------​

24224862679_e7fe358d93_b.jpg

Pic: Heading along the Sandan-yama ridge in the Tokachi mountain range, central Hokkaido

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
really good big thanks for posting and getting the info together . very wow. there is a real need for english bc and xc and cheap dirtbag options info on japan. its a bit inaccessable if you don't speak japanese however this probably helps keep the foreign numbers down. thanks again

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Just realised I trawled through your bike packing section a few months ago.

I now have a healthy fear of fox poop.

essjaywhy

One of Us
Jul 24, 2012
Akl NZ
Nice one Rob,

for gps tracks ,
on Strava,
go Activity Search, for Backcountry Skiing - in your region,

its full of global skitours there

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Thomson
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rob Thomson

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2016
Hokkaido, Japan
www.14degrees.org
I just thought I would drop in and say I've updated the route filtering system on my Hokkaido backcountry ski touring routes page: http://www.14degrees.org/hokkaido-backcountry-ski-touring-routes/

Each winter I end up adding about 10 routes, so this should make it easier to browse the ski touring routes by region (Niseko, Sapporo, Tokachi, Northern Hokkaido, Eastern Hokkaido, and Southern Lakes) and type of route (snowboard friendly, public transport accessible etc).

It is a pretty bumper season here in Hokkaido for early-season snow...I hope that continues!

A parting shot from a ski tour we did way out east in Hokkaido (route guide here) - not particularly famous for powder, but there are some killer views to be had.

27638944429_2a9c3f5e73_b.jpg

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Wow! thanks
I love the fact you can just stroll off the train in Sapporo and start skinning, I'd like to do that one day...

By the way, I was looking for the route you have on Shokanbetsudake, but I couldn't find a detailed report link?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass