Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Agree with above, haven't had to test AAMI either thankfully

mijs likes this.
  2. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Me too. I've claimed for a broken ski and they paid

mijs likes this.
  3. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

@mijs I went with AAMI for Japan and the US last year, did lots of backcountry skiing. Never claimed though.

I'm about to go with them again for NZ this season.

(If was doing serious stuff in NZ, I would look at the NZ Alpine Club mountaineering rescue insurance)

mijs likes this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Same.
    AAMI
    No claim.

mijs likes this.
  5. Porca

Porca Just Registered

We are booked for Japan again this year, but thinking we need insurance asap. Kim Jung Un is getting a little frisky, do you think it is worth getting coverage now if we have to cancel in the event of war.

6. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

The smart money is on getting insurance as soon as you fork out your first dollar.
    War or not.

markopolo and Ozgirl like this.
  7. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I use a credit card with free insurance to pay for my trip. Then I take out travel insurance in the weeks before I leave. Keeps me covered for unforeseen incidents that would make me cancel, and cash in my account until a later date.

Olgreg, LMB and BoofHead like this.
  8. mijs

mijs Active Member

I think you'll find war is one of those general exclusions that will leave us all in a difficult situation

The following taken from AAMI's PDS "You are not covered under any section of the policy for damage, loss, cost or liability caused by or arising from or involving: .....
    any war, whether it has been formally declared or not, any hostilities, uprising, insurrection, revolt, rebellion, usurped power, revolution or coup d’état, or theft or confiscation of property as a result of any of these;"

9. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

So what would that mean for a victim of terrorism... say you went to the UK to watch Ariana Grande...got injured and needed Medical treatment urgently then transport home at a later date because you were still in hospital when your flight left...covered? Likely? Or cast adrift?

10. mijs

mijs Active Member

If I read correctly (and I'm no lawyer) cast adrift

The preceding para in the PDS covers terrorism
    "anything directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or in connection with any action taken in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any way relating to any act of terrorism;"

They have got you coming and going.

11. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Haven't they just...

12. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Had a look today for our trip. I've always used TID in the past, never had to claim. Not sure if it's changed but they only pay the depreciated cost if you lose something. Is that normal? I'd be wanting replacement cost.

They do however, cover skiing (extra cost) off piste in or out of resort.

13. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

IHI Bupa covers it.

Sorta.

gmanpadre likes this.
  14. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Bupa doesn't cover off piste. Checked them.

15. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

This has come up before.

IHI Bupa Global does.

gmanpadre likes this.
  16. gmanpadre

gmanpadre Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

smackies likes this.
  17. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It's outrageously expensive though! Triples to include my kids, while other policies include dependants under 21 on a single policy.

18. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I guess it's hard to have cheap and good...

19. gmanpadre

gmanpadre Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

192 USD for a single adult and 626 USD for annual cover for two adults two children, considering what they cover, it is more than competitive with what local insurers are offering.

In saying that I just signed up for the ANZ Black Qantas Frequent Flyer CC and the insurance policy exclusions does not mention any winter sports at all, which in general, means they are covered, but would need clarification from the insurer to confirm coverage and nail down exactly what's covered.

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/...95.1801749419.1504613008-412532313.1504613008

I use Ctrl F to search for key words in the document, like winter, snow, piste, ski etc.

Insurance exclusions – what is not covered by QBE.

In any form of insurance there are situations that are not covered. Whilst we try to extend our cover to most situations, we are not able to insure some situations because of the costs or types of events involved. In addition to any specific exclusions contained in any individual cover in this document, the following exclusions apply to all the covers provided by QBE in this document:
    • We do not insure you for any event that is caused by or arises as a result of any pre-existing medical condition of yours, a relative or any other person that may give cause for you to claim.
    • We do not insure you in regard to any travel that: - you book or take against medical advice; or - you take for the purpose of getting medical treatment or advice; or - you take after a qualified and registered member of the medical profession informs you that you are terminally ill.
    • We do not insure you for any event that is caused by or arises from: - any event that is intentionally caused by you or by a person acting with your consent (including suicide or attempted suicide);
    or - your conscious exposure to exceptional danger unless in an attempt to preserve your life or the life of another person; or - you being under the influence or addicted to, intoxicating liquor or a drug, except a drug taken in accordance with the advice of a registered medical practitioner;
    or 72–73 - your involvement in illegal activities, fraud or abuse;
    or - your underwater activities that involve using artificial breathing equipment (unless you have an open water diving licence or are diving with a qualified and registered diving instructor);
    or - your mountaineering (if you need to use climbing equipment, ropes or guides), rock climbing (if you need to use climbing equipment, ropes or guides), white water rafting, white water boating, abseiling, bungy jumping, pot holing, running with the bulls, caving or tobogganing; or - your racing (other than foot);
    or - your participation in any kind of professional sport for which you obtain/are attempting to obtain financial gain, sponsorship or benefit from participating in or training for that sport;
    or - sporting equipment while it is being used; or - your air travel or any aerial activity (for example, hang-gliding, base jumping and skydiving). But if you are a paid passenger in a fully licensed commercial passenger aircraft, we do insure you; or - any activities involving hunting equipment or projectiles (e.g. shooting and archery);
    or - your participation in motor cycling, unless - it involves a hired motorcycle with an engine capacity of 200cc or less; and - you are the driver; and - you hold a current Australian motorcycle licence; but - we never cover any event that is caused by or arises from motorcycle racing;
    or - your participation as a crew member or pilot of any conveyance;
    or - any act of terrorism; or - any war or war like activities, whether war has been formally declared or not, any hostilities, rebellion or revolution, or civil war, military coup, or overthrow/ attempted overthrow of a government/military power;
    or - any person or organisation, who lawfully destroys or removes your ownership or control of any property/ personal goods; or - any government prohibition or restrictions or government customs, or other government authorities, delaying or detaining you or seizing or keeping your baggage;
    or - any item that is brittle or fragile (except photographic or video equipment), unless the loss or damage is caused by thieves, burglars, fire, or an accident involving the means of transport in which you are travelling;
    or - non-receipt of the property/personal goods that you have purchased and is being transported to you;
    or - personal goods/personal items whilst being transported under a freight agreement or by postal or courier services;
    or - jewellery, watches, cameras, mobile phones, electrical articles or laptops in a motor vehicle or being carried in baggage/luggage, unless hand-carried and under your personal supervision;
    or - your failure to comply with the recommended security guidelines for the use of bank or currency notes, cheques, credit card, postal or money orders or petrol coupons;
    or - you not taking all adequate precautions (considering the value of the articles) to protect your property/personal goods or if the property/personal goods are left: - unattended in a public place;
    or - unattended in an unlocked motor vehicle; or - unattended in a motor vehicle in view of someone looking into the motor vehicle; or - unattended in a motor vehicle overnight;
    or - behind, forgotten or misplaced; or - with a person who steals or deliberately damages them. A ‘public place’ includes, but is not limited to shops, airports, bus depots, streets, hotel foyer (and hallways and grounds), planes, buses, restaurants, beaches, public toilets, car parks, office areas, behind or near counters, housing and hostel common areas, unlocked hostel and hotel rooms and any place which is accessible to the public;
    or • disappearance of the property/personal goods in circumstances which cannot be explained to our satisfaction;
    or • radioactivity, radioactivity contamination or the use, existence or escape of any nuclear fuel, nuclear material or nuclear waste;
    or • deterioration, normal wear and tear;
    or • any defective item or any defect in an item, or damage arising from inherent defects in an item or an electrical or mechanical fault or breakdown, unless covered under the Extended Warranty cover;
    or any process of servicing, repairing or restoring an item unless we have given prior approval;
    or • laundering (including washing, ironing and dry cleaning) whether by professional persons or otherwise;
    or • vermin or insects, mildew, atmospheric or climatic conditions, or flood;
    or • any process of servicing, repairing or restoring an item unless we have given prior approval

#719 gmanpadre, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  20. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cheers I have that card I'll check it out. We don't need annual cover. Our one month trip for 3 was over usd600 for just the basic cover on bupa. It may be good value for a single trip for a single person but not for me travelling with 2 dependant kids.