Ski Travel Insurance

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Just signed up to 12 months Worldwide cover, ski cover included with Budget Direct, off to NZ in August, NZ again in November tour, Canada in Feb, and another is trip in May. $338 excess $200
Never insure laptops and phones, always read the fine print never replaced like for like if over 1 year old, get paid depreciated value. Cost outweighs benefit

Checked the PDS beforehand great policy with comprehensive covers $6k car excess
does NZ have much snow in November?
why would someone travel somewhere if it wasn't for snow. error. error. does not compute! :)

ive never bothered itemizing laptops, cameras and phones either. if i ever had to make a claim im sure their depreciated value is less than the maximum non-itemized value anyway.
hopefully it all works out for you.
reminds me i need to take note of my phone's IMEI number.

budget are one of the guys with the common sense off piste ski guide requirements, i wonder if they see increased sales because of it.

Reactions: MidLifeMadman

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
does NZ have much snow in November?
why would someone travel somewhere if it wasn't for snow. error. error. does not compute! :)

ive never bothered itemizing laptops, cameras and phones either. if i ever had to make a claim im sure their depreciated value is less than the maximum non-itemized value anyway.
hopefully it all works out for you.
reminds me i need to take note of my phone's IMEI number.

budget are one of the guys with the common sense off piste ski guide requirements, i wonder if they see increased sales because of it.
My phone etc are covered as portable items under my house insurance. Have had a couple of dead teen phones replaced.

MidLifeMadman

Hard Yards
Dec 17, 2015
Melbourne
NZ November with the Mrs... Non skier, so a road trip, just all a bonus with the plan for 4 OS trips in 12 months.

I was always look at MV excess, we are driving around the powder highway for 22 days.

Calgary into Banff 5 nights, Golden 4, Revelstoke 5, then who knows... After Nelson at least 2 nights... Before back to Calgary

The way I'm feeling and the mate I ski with every chance we could get greedy and sneak into Japan if the season is good for a fly in...ski.. and home. We do silly things.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Just signed up to 12 months Worldwide cover, ski cover included with Budget Direct, off to NZ in August, NZ again in November tour, Canada in Feb, and another is trip in May. $338 excess $200
Never insure laptops and phones, always read the fine print never replaced like for like if over 1 year old, get paid depreciated value. Cost outweighs benefit

Checked the PDS beforehand great policy with comprehensive covers $6k car excess
The problem with 12 month policies is that you can only do short individual trips . The longest I have seen is 90 days . The Budget Direct one only allows you 30 days .
In saying that though I punched in Nov 19 - Feb 20 and price was $500 odd including ski option ...seems like good price ?

Reactions: MidLifeMadman

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I'm bored of this now :p so I'll just leave it here (the column names work properly if you clicky).
hopefully someone finds it useful, I mostly hope people see all the red bits and think twice.

No real big surprises or huge plot changes.
  • The dodgy discount Lloyds resellers are still dodgy.
  • Budget & Tick have that nice "Professional Snow Sport Instructor" terminology suggesting that avalanche educated friends (perhaps even yourself) can fulfill the guide requirement.
  • Westpac complimentary still looks good, but somehow the complimentary NAB visa travel insurance has gone back to old QBE style insurance that no longer excludes any snow stuff. I wonder if other complimentary insurances are nicer now too?

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
This is a bit of a segue from the main discussion but I thought it might be of interest to some here.

We have had pretty kickarse life insurance (Asteron/now TAL) for a long time due to having a reasonably large small business that would need taking care of if we got taken out suddenly. It has cost us a motza.

Recently the other half has embarked on some high altitude climbing. We had the discussion once the 8000m peaks became a reality that we really need to make sure the current policy covers, or acquire insurance to cover, a death at that altitude. I doubted anyone would cover it all...

Turns out we are sweet.

Got dual confirmation today that our existing policy covers us for everything. If we came unstuck backcountry skiing, or climbing Everest, they’ll pay out. The main gist seems to be that because our policy predates the commencement of such activities we are all good.

We’ve been given the heads up by a number of people with no financial connection to the policy to not change policy NOW. Or at least until we have stopped all these high risk activities.

Just thought I’d share in case the knowledge of such helps others. It was news to me.

Reactions: nezumi and Any

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
This is a bit of a segue from the main discussion but I thought it might be of interest to some here.

We have had pretty kickarse life insurance (Asteron/now TAL) for a long time due to having a reasonably large small business that would need taking care of if we got taken out suddenly. It has cost us a motza.

Recently the other half has embarked on some high altitude climbing. We had the discussion once the 8000m peaks became a reality that we really need to make sure the current policy covers, or acquire insurance to cover, a death at that altitude. I doubted anyone would cover it all...

Turns out we are sweet.

Got dual confirmation today that our existing policy covers us for everything. If we came unstuck backcountry skiing, or climbing Everest, they’ll pay out. The main gist seems to be that because our policy predates the commencement of such activities we are all good.

We’ve been given the heads up by a number of people with no financial connection to the policy to not change policy NOW. Or at least until we have stopped all these high risk activities.

Just thought I’d share in case the knowledge of such helps others. It was news to me.

Can confirm - duty of disclosure applies at the initiation of the contract, there is no requirement for continual disclosure in life/TPD/Income protection policies.

Source: I work in financial services compliance.

Reactions: LMB

hopo

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone know of a Travel Insurance company that is a bit helpful with pre-existing medical conditions? I do not come under the usual 30 or 40 standard pre-existing medical conditions that they cover.

Last edited:

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Does anyone know of a Travel Insurance company that is a bit helpful with pre-existing medical conditions? I do not come under the usual 30 or 40 standard pre-existing medical conditions that they cover.
i seem to remember seeing one or two that target such a market. but i can't remember who they are. you might have some luck with some senior centric insurers.
generally as long as whatever you're claiming isn't related to/caused by your condition, then its ok.
however almost all insurers allow you to apply for your condition to be covered for an extra premium. i dont know how much it'll go up tho, ive never actually bothered investigated the cost of adding my osteoporosis.

hopo

Hard Yards
Aug 24, 2015
i seem to remember seeing one or two that target such a market. but i can't remember who they are. you might have some luck with some senior centric insurers.
generally as long as whatever you're claiming isn't related to/caused by your condition, then its ok.
however almost all insurers allow you to apply for your condition to be covered for an extra premium. i dont know how much it'll go up tho, ive never actually bothered investigated the cost of adding my osteoporosis.
Thanks for the reply. I have had my femur and hip replaced and I need this covered by insurance because if it was damaged skiing or travelling it would literally cost an arm and a leg to repair. A few companies have said they would cover me but exclude the femur and hip.

Reactions: Any

smackies

A Local
Oct 29, 2002
Maybe check Bupa Global.

I had major knee surgery and this was covered. You apply to see if the pre-existing condition is covered, just requires a visit to your doc.

Senben

First Runs
Aug 25, 2019
Hello,
I am going to a ski resort in Singapore, what is the best policy that I can subscribe ?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
So can confirm that AAMI puts their money where their mouth is regarding Heli Skiing.

I am glad to have been the test case.

images.jpeg

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Don't like you second sentence much, but thanks for sharing the claims experience.
Well I am not sure I am happy about the claims process.

It's still ongoing. Been home 2 weeks and they are yet to send the forms for my OOP expenses.

And a heads up, even though they have a 24/7 emergency medical number, my claim wasn't approved until Monday, (I rung Saturday morning, and shouldn't have waited. I should have called ASAP.) And if it wasn't approved on Monday, I was stranded.

But, yes they 100% cover Heli accidents.

Reactions: Dave6

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Well I am not sure I am happy about the claims process.

It's still ongoing. Been home 2 weeks and they are yet to send the forms for my OOP expenses.

And a heads up, even though they have a 24/7 emergency medical number, my claim wasn't approved until Monday, (I rung Saturday morning, and shouldn't have waited. I should have called ASAP.) And if it wasn't approved on Monday, I was stranded.

But, yes they 100% cover Heli accidents.
When I made a claim regarding my baggage they were pretty good, but they did ask a shitload of questions.
No questions that I didn't have the answer to, but a lot of going back and forward. I wished they'd just asked all the questions up front, but maybe some weren't needed in some cases, plus I assumed it was a process to weed out false claims.
At times they would contact me and chase me up because I was being lazy at getting back to them (i needed an affidavit), when they could have easily let it sit and I would have forgotten probably.
The questions just seemed to stop, and without notice or warning a heap of $ suddenly arrived in my account. I was afraid to touch it at first, drug money? hit money? gigolo money? who knows. More than 2 weeks later they notified me in writing of the successful claim.

Hello,
I am going to a ski resort in Singapore, what is the best policy that I can subscribe ?
Snow City indoor ski center or so google tells me!
most insurances have a restriction for certain latitudes not guaranteed of having snow as part of their 'i couldnt ski please refund me' type claims. pretty safe to say that an indoor ski center will have snow ;P
It'll be hard to go off piste. I wonder if AAMI's off piste coverage includes skiing into the local bowling alley by accident.

Reactions: southpaw and Ozgirl

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yes, we want to live the skiing experience in Singapore..
Have you ever been in Snow City ? I would like to ask you about AXA Travel Insurance (https://www.axa.com.sg/travel-insurance), is it good ?
No I haven’t been.

And I haven’t reviewed that insurance company.

However an indoor ski facility is likely to be rated as risky as something like an ice skating rink or roller skating rink or indoor go carts.

If you live in Singapore then you shouldn’t need travel insurance at all.
If you are travelling to Singapore you should be covered under pretty much any standard travel insurance policy. No need for specific ski insurance.

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance that includes travel delays when roadtripping in Canada due to snow storms?

A few I've seen refer to delays to Scheduled Services from weather events... but what about if I'm driving in a rental car from town A to B and the road is closed from a winter storm so I have to spend another couple of nights in town A??

Any advice would be great! Thank you!!

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Are you saying you are winging in terms of accom. or you miss pre paid accom in town B because the road is closed?

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
Are you saying you are winging in terms of accom. or you miss pre paid accom in town B because the road is closed?

We would miss our prepaid accommodation in town B... and then be even more out of pocket for having to pay for additional accommodation in town A...

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I am fining it hard to think of circumstances that you can't take a detour?

ie what road?

I am reading the AAMI pds (IMHO the ONLY travel insurance you should consider on a ski trip) and i can't find anything about it.

It does ask for the transport provider to provide details of the delay. which you wouldn't be able to do in this case (not sure road reports count!)

Reactions: Kiz

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
I am fining it hard to think of circumstances that you can't take a detour?

ie what road?

I am reading the AAMI pds (IMHO the ONLY travel insurance you should consider on a ski trip) and i can't find anything about it.

It does ask for the transport provider to provide details of the delay. which you wouldn't be able to do in this case (not sure road reports count!)

Icefields Parkway... Lake Louise to Jasper.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance that includes travel delays when roadtripping in Canada due to snow storms?

A few I've seen refer to delays to Scheduled Services from weather events... but what about if I'm driving in a rental car from town A to B and the road is closed from a winter storm so I have to spend another couple of nights in town A??

Any advice would be great! Thank you!!
afaik all travel insurances have provisions for this, but it depends to what extent.
search for things like "Cancelled, interrupted or delayed journey"
I think AAMI's is unlimited $, and includes severe weather conditions, and from what I understand, would pay your additional expenses in your example scenario.

Reactions: Kiz

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
afaik all travel insurances have provisions for this, but it depends to what extent.
search for things like "Cancelled, interrupted or delayed journey"
I think AAMI's is unlimited $, and includes severe weather conditions, and from what I understand, would pay your additional expenses in your example scenario.
But AAMi PDS asks for transport provider to provide details of the interruption.

Not sure if they would accept the Canadian equiv of RMS.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
But AAMi PDS asks for transport provider to provide details of the interruption.

Not sure if they would accept the Canadian equiv of RMS.
hm yeah it looks like they only care about issues caused by public transportation providers.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Icefields Parkway... Lake Louise to Jasper.
Also - there is an alternative route - so yeah i think no dice on the insurance covering.

And i would also say that if they did, it would be to refund you the missed nights accom NOT the extra night in town A.

Def not both!

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Also - there is an alternative route - so yeah i think no dice on the insurance covering.

And i would also say that if they did, it would be to refund you the missed nights accom NOT the extra night in town A.

Def not both!
"additional travel and accommodation necessarily incurred"
sounds like that if they do pay, theyll pay the cost of the new accom, minus any refund from the old place.

last season i was talking to some guys who were flying back to uk from tokyo the year before when their flight was cancelled.
they had read that their insurance was also unlimited but not all of them were sure they would risk if they would get paid out or not.
some bought new tickets on real cheap discount flights that took an arduous many stop multi chain of flights home (like more than 5 stops). they got back before the others, but because of all the stops and waiting in uncomfortable airport seating, it wasn't much before.
others of the group decided to push the limits of 'unlimited' and spent the night in a very expensive hotel and fancy restaurant dinner and breakfast, and took the airline provided replacement flight the next afternoon.
both groups got all the costs (minus refunds) reimbursed. their gamble paid off.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
"additional travel and accommodation necessarily incurred"
sounds like that if they do pay, theyll pay the cost of the new accom, minus any refund from the old place.

last season i was talking to some guys who were flying back to uk from tokyo the year before when their flight was cancelled.
they had read that their insurance was also unlimited but not all of them were sure they would risk if they would get paid out or not.
some bought new tickets on real cheap discount flights that took an arduous many stop multi chain of flights home (like more than 5 stops). they got back before the others, but because of all the stops and waiting in uncomfortable airport seating, it wasn't much before.
others of the group decided to push the limits of 'unlimited' and spent the night in a very expensive hotel and fancy restaurant dinner and breakfast, and took the airline provided replacement flight the next afternoon.
both groups got all the costs (minus refunds) reimbursed. their gamble paid off.
That is impressive. I would have thought the airline was up for the hotel not travel insurance? And travel insurance dont pay what the airline pays for? I am currently chasing some up for work peeps. Q cancelled flights out of LAX put on next flight and offered $250 reimbursement for hotel (that cost $350 USD)

But still what Kiz asking is a bit of a stretch as there is an alternative route from A to B.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
That is impressive. I would have thought the airline was up for the hotel not travel insurance? And travel insurance dont pay what the airline pays for? I am currently chasing some up for work peeps. Q cancelled flights out of LAX put on next flight and offered $250 reimbursement for hotel (that cost $350 USD)

But still what Kiz asking is a bit of a stretch as there is an alternative route from A to B.
i think behind the scenes the insurance companies get money out of the airlines in the end, and maybe airlines get reimbursed by airport if theyre at fault.
i reckon thats how it went with my ski bag that got destroyed.

yeah it seems if you're driving yourself you have no recourse. i guess it makes sense. if you drive real slow and don't make it somewhere, why should the insurance company pay.

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
The Icefields Parkway only gets ploughed once a day and can often be closed with snow, ice and avalanches (controlled and natural)... we’ve allowed plenty of padding in our itinerary to give us the best opportunity but I wanted to find out what our options were if the road gets closed as the detour is about 500km.

Thanks Ozgirl for the AAMI tip!! I hadn’t considered them as a travel insurance company. They confirmed we are covered for road closures from severe weather events if we have prepaid our accommodation so that’s good news. They are happy to take screen shots of the equivalent of RMS websites advising of closures. Their email customer service people were really helpful and so quick to reply.

At the end of the day we have a backup plan that unfortunately skips this amazing drive if it’s just not safe to do so... but I thought with so many travellers on this forum it was worth asking for some advice. So a big thank you to all!

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
The Icefields Parkway only gets ploughed once a day and can often be closed with snow, ice and avalanches (controlled and natural)... we’ve allowed plenty of padding in our itinerary to give us the best opportunity but I wanted to find out what our options were if the road gets closed as the detour is about 500km.

Thanks Ozgirl for the AAMI tip!! I hadn’t considered them as a travel insurance company. They confirmed we are covered for road closures from severe weather events if we have prepaid our accommodation so that’s good news. They are happy to take screen shots of the equivalent of RMS websites advising of closures. Their email customer service people were really helpful and so quick to reply.

At the end of the day we have a backup plan that unfortunately skips this amazing drive if it’s just not safe to do so... but I thought with so many travellers on this forum it was worth asking for some advice. So a big thank you to all!
Okay cool, glad they covered you. their pds certainly did seem like they did!

But still not sure why it is an issue as the other way if no more than an extra 1.5 hours?

Kiz

Hard Yards
Jan 18, 2002
Hunter Valley, NSW
Okay cool, glad they covered you. their pds certainly did seem like they did!

But still not sure why it is an issue as the other way if no more than an extra 1.5 hours?

It’s 230kms to drive the Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper but it’s looks like about 730kms to go round it in which case we wouldn’t bother and would just skip Jasper and head to Edmonton where we fly out. Fingers crossed the weather works in our favour!

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
It’s 230kms to drive the Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper but it’s looks like about 730kms to go round it in which case we wouldn’t bother and would just skip Jasper and head to Edmonton where we fly out. Fingers crossed the weather works in our favour!

I'm sure it will.

FNM

Early Days
Jul 8, 2019
I'm bored of this now :p so I'll just leave it here (the column names work properly if you clicky).
hopefully someone finds it useful, I mostly hope people see all the red bits and think twice.

No real big surprises or huge plot changes.
  • The dodgy discount Lloyds resellers are still dodgy.
  • Budget & Tick have that nice "Professional Snow Sport Instructor" terminology suggesting that avalanche educated friends (perhaps even yourself) can fulfill the guide requirement.
  • Westpac complimentary still looks good, but somehow the complimentary NAB visa travel insurance has gone back to old QBE style insurance that no longer excludes any snow stuff. I wonder if other complimentary insurances are nicer now too?

Hi Any .. thanks for the spreadsheet. I’ve had a squiz here. Couldn’t figure out what each column meant, but think I got most...

Is your preference Bupa Global for the most extensive coverage?

I will be on an adventure-filled trip to Canada for at least 12 months that may (will hopefully) include: snow skiing (include off-piste, backcountry would only be with a paid guide (do the guides/businesses have their own insurance that covers participants if it goes pear-shaped?), ice climbing, mountaineering, rock climbing, MTB, road cycling, backcountry hiking ... really unsure about insurance. I’m fairly risk-averse so don’t fully push the limits in any of those activities, but they are inherently somewhat risky I suppose.

I spoke to someone yesterday who said ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum includes insurance that covers all aspects of skiing - ie, backcountry etc... I’ve had a quick look and it’s a maximum 6 months from what I can gather, so doesn’t work for me, but could work for others .. I also couldn’t see anything on snow sports at all, so I’m wondering if the policy has changed but bc they got onboard when it covered the snow, they still get coverage there. I have their number so will shoot them a msg for clarification.

** edit: made contact and she has had her insurance with ANZ CC for 3 years so every chance it’s changed, but she’s certain that she’s covered for all types of snow activities on the mountain.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Hi Any .. thanks for the spreadsheet. I’ve had a squiz here. Couldn’t figure out what each column meant, but think I got most...

Is your preference Bupa Global for the most extensive coverage?

I will be on an adventure-filled trip to Canada for at least 12 months that may (will hopefully) include: snow skiing (include off-piste, backcountry would only be with a paid guide (do the guides/businesses have their own insurance that covers participants if it goes pear-shaped?), ice climbing, mountaineering, rock climbing, MTB, road cycling, backcountry hiking ... really unsure about insurance. I’m fairly risk-averse so don’t fully push the limits in any of those activities, but they are inherently somewhat risky I suppose.

I spoke to someone yesterday who said ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum includes insurance that covers all aspects of skiing - ie, backcountry etc... I’ve had a quick look and it’s a maximum 6 months from what I can gather, so doesn’t work for me, but could work for others .. I also couldn’t see anything on snow sports at all, so I’m wondering if the policy has changed but bc they got onboard when it covered the snow, they still get coverage there. I have their number so will shoot them a msg for clarification.

** edit: made contact and she has had her insurance with ANZ CC for 3 years so every chance it’s changed, but she’s certain that she’s covered for all types of snow activities on the mountain.
If you click the 'ill just leave it here' link and open up the doc in another tab then the column names are there vertically. it seems google's preview window doesnt handle it, thats why you cant read them.

Bupa Global does look good with that extra professional level cover, but I've not heard much feedback about them.
AAMI is the most tried and tested and recommended on these forums, with some forum members purposefully tearing their acl just to test out the coverage (@Ozgirl ).

At first glance I couldn't find anything ski or snow related in the ANZ insurance coverage, which is usually a good sign that its covered. It excludes all mountaineering tho.

Finding travel insurance that will cover a 12 month trip may be difficult.
You cant buy it up front, but I believe you can contact AAMI mid-trip and extend up to 12 months, so long as you dont have any active claims. Its somewhere in the pds?
(fyi those 1 year travel insurance packages usually limit you to 1 month per trip, ie not suitable for your travels)

I believe you still need your own insurance even with a guided ski group. You want to make sure a guide has insurance, for liability at least. But the other stuff is probably on your own insurance. I think behind the scenes the buck gets passed on. Your insurance pays you, then they charge the guide's insurance the cost, but they might not pay you if the guide has no insurance.

Reactions: FNM

FNM

Early Days
Jul 8, 2019
If you click the 'ill just leave it here' link and open up the doc in another tab then the column names are there vertically. it seems google's preview window doesnt handle it, thats why you cant read them.

Bupa Global does look good with that extra professional level cover, but I've not heard much feedback about them.
AAMI is the most tried and tested and recommended on these forums, with some forum members purposefully tearing their acl just to test out the coverage (@Ozgirl ).

At first glance I couldn't find anything ski or snow related in the ANZ insurance coverage, which is usually a good sign that its covered. It excludes all mountaineering tho.

You cant buy it up front, but I believe you can contact AAMI mid-trip and extend up to 12 months, so long as you dont have any active claims. Its somewhere in the pds?
(fyi those 1 year travel insurance packages usually limit you to 1 month per trip, ie not suitable for your travels)

I believe you still need your own insurance even with a guided ski group. You want to make sure a guide has insurance, for liability at least. But the other stuff is probably on your own insurance. I think behind the scenes the buck gets passed on. Your insurance pays you, then they charge the guide's insurance the cost, but they might not pay you if the guide has no insurance.

Thanks. It’s tricky bc you expect to see whether snow is covered or not. Good to know that no mention is normally a good sign. I guess then it’s just a matter of making sure there is no umbrella terminology that I am meant to expect covers snow sports and the like.

I’ve contacted an old friend who used to take mountaineering type trips so hopefully he’ll let me know and then I can pass it on :)

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Thanks. It’s tricky bc you expect to see whether snow is covered or not. Good to know that no mention is normally a good sign. I guess then it’s just a matter of making sure there is no umbrella terminology that I am meant to expect covers snow sports and the like.

I’ve contacted an old friend who used to take mountaineering type trips so hopefully he’ll let me know and then I can pass it on :)
generally itll say either "only these things are covered" or "only these things are not covered"
insurers with the former are real shit, probably too shit to survive in current market (ive only seen one do that, a japanese one)

also, in my experience, 90% of the people i have talked to about travel insurance (especially those who adamantly recommend theirs as a great deal or whatever), actually have no idea that their insurance covers, and usually find out later on that they have had no off piste coverage at all for years. this is the reason for creating the spreadsheet.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

Get the facts right mate!

Whilst Heli skiing!!

Re ANZ, yes my initial enquiries had them covering skiing (although not BC if I remember correctly) the reason I had to get secondary insurance is because of pregnancy.

Reactions: FNM and Any

Cynicor

Hard Yards
Feb 18, 2010
Haven't been back here in years, but thank you so much for making that comparison table!
Now that QBE and Avant are both off the cards for me I was dreading having to do the PDS comparison for unguided BC. Not too worried about high peaks for the next 12 months but after that probably want to ensure they do high mountains too. But that is next year's problem.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Haven't been back here in years, but thank you so much for making that comparison table!
Now that QBE and Avant are both off the cards for me I was dreading having to do the PDS comparison for unguided BC. Not too worried about high peaks for the next 12 months but after that probably want to ensure they do high mountains too. But that is next year's problem.
What high peaks are you thinking about?
PB got evac insurance for his climbing. I’ll find out who through (keep forgetting).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass