Ski Travel Insurance

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Y'know, I wouldn't be so sure. There's not too many people traveling to do this stuff, but I think the number of claims might surprise us. And I bet when they happen they're expensive. I think it might seriously just not add up.

There's always a similar conversation about travel insurance for rock climbing - and I see some of the people asking, who I had personally seen climb, and think, no-way would *I* ever insure you!
oh. perhaps i should reword; i dont doubt there have been many ski related claims. but i bet the % of claims caused by being off-piste, that wouldn't have otherwise happened on-piste, is very low.
cant argue rescue costs, because they're <5% that of medical costs.
its just a bias against the unknown i think.

Reactions: Ozgirl

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Y'know, I wouldn't be so sure. There's not too many people traveling to do this stuff, but I think the number of claims might surprise us. And I bet when they happen they're expensive. I think it might seriously just not add up.

There's always a similar conversation about travel insurance for rock climbing - and I see some of the people asking, who I had personally seen climb, and think, no-way would *I* ever insure you!
I disagree.
Loads of skiing accidents but my bet is the majority are one piste on crowded beginner runs or in the park.
Although you may be right about the email and ask twenty times group.

My help accident was not expensive.

Well no more expensive than if I had of done it at the resort.

And knees are the most common injury for skiers. And probably less common off piste (assuming ability is higher in those that go off piste)
Agreed.

Higher natural terrain risk, but higher skills, due caution, preparation, and fitness to counter balance. None of us want to be injured backcountry where getting help is difficult.

oh. perhaps i should reword; i dont doubt there have been many ski related claims. but i bet the % of claims caused by being off-piste, that wouldn't have otherwise happened on-piste, is very low.
cant argue rescue costs, because they're <5% that of medical costs.
its just a bias against the unknown i think.
Absolutely.

Which is why it’d be freaking awesome to get someone like Carveman as an advisor to an insurer on what actual skiing and snowboarding is like. Get a PDS that is explicit and options to include cover for everything - a sliding scale of coverage.

:emoji_ballot_box_with_check: On piste skiing/snowboarding within resort boundaries
:emoji_ballot_box_with_check: Off piste skiing/snowboarding within resort boundaries
:emoji_black_square_button: Recreational Terrain park
:emoji_ballot_box_with_check: Off piste/backcountry with a guide, includes Heli and Cat
:emoji_ballot_box_with_check: Off piste/backcountry no guide, with avalanche certification and or guide certification
:emoji_ballot_box_with_check: Off piste/backcountry no guide no certs
:emoji_black_square_button: Off piste/backcountry, high risk terrain, glaciers, requiring harnesses, ropes etc

Something clear, simple, real risk based rather than uneducated non skier risk assessed. I’d much rather (risk wise) ride down Yotei than slalom through the beginners on Family run for example.

lowkey

First Runs
Oct 28, 2019
today I decided to add woolies travel insurance, just for a hit of schadenfreudism.
ironically if it weren't for the millions of bad reviews, I'd say they're marginally better than most Lloyds based insurances lol (world nomads, etc).
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-TJqFo7vZCHu2g4ZAWlXFta517Zm22CTmKvr4gHkdAA/edit#gid=0

Hey Any, thanks for the brilliant work on this spreadsheet!

I'd suggest an edit for Easy Travel Insurance to exclude off-piste though. Found this in their PDS:

"If You wish to be covered for these activities during Your Journey, You must pay an extra premium. Please ask for a quote. Even if You pay the extra premium, You will only be covered if: • You are skiing or snowboarding On-Piste; • You are not racing; and • You are not participating in a Professional capacity"

Reactions: Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Hey Any, thanks for the brilliant work on this spreadsheet!

I'd suggest an edit for Easy Travel Insurance to exclude off-piste though. Found this in their PDS:

"If You wish to be covered for these activities during Your Journey, You must pay an extra premium. Please ask for a quote. Even if You pay the extra premium, You will only be covered if: • You are skiing or snowboarding On-Piste; • You are not racing; and • You are not participating in a Professional capacity"
nice catch.
looks like they changed in June sometime, probably only days after I investigated. Now underwritten by Zurich, half the price, but a sea of red.

lowkey

First Runs
Oct 28, 2019
Looks like tick travel insurance and budget direct no longer deserve that +1 either, under their table of covered winter sports they've added this: "Special Condition * These activities must be with a commercial operator; and available to general public; and not considered extreme risk; and not require special skills or a high level of fitness to undertake." Further down they say they don't cover "ski jumping/stunting or ski/snowboard fun parks" either. Man this is proving tedious

Reactions: Any and LMB

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Looks like tick travel insurance and budget direct no longer deserve that +1 either, under their table of covered winter sports they've added this: "Special Condition * These activities must be with a commercial operator; and available to general public; and not considered extreme risk; and not require special skills or a high level of fitness to undertake." Further down they say they don't cover "ski jumping/stunting or ski/snowboard fun parks" either. Man this is proving tedious
this seems to be in conflict with their definition of a professional snow sport instructor
 Holder of Level 2 Backcountry security award and relevant equivalent of this award.
 Holder of backcountry and mountain safety qualification that is mandatory for level 4 instructors.
Instructors with this type of qualification can teach off-piste snow sports and lead day tours in the
high mountains within and outside a ski area boundary. Instructors with this award have undergone
tough assessment and training in high mountain safety and awareness off-piste.​
would't be surprised that its not covered tho. the commercial part is the normal thing. ive crossed it out in the doc for now.

Reactions: lowkey

andrewn

Hard Yards
Oct 2, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but CBA offers two levels of snow sports cover in some of their policies. The base level isn't that interesting as off-piste is excluded, but the 'Snow Sport +' includes

Snow skiing/boarding off-piste and heli-skiing/boarding
  • if you are under 70 years of age at the relevant time
  • while heli-skiing/boarding if you are on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator
  • when skiing or snowboarding outside piste boundaries, you are not going against local advice or warning
  • if you are not participating in a professional capacity, and
  • if you are not racing.
https://www.commbank.com.au/travel/travel-insurance/cba-travel-insurance.html

I'm using AAMI again this year, but this could be a good option for some.

Reactions: lowkey and Ozgirl

lowkey

First Runs
Oct 28, 2019
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but CBA offers two levels of snow sports cover in some of their policies. The base level isn't that interesting as off-piste is excluded, but the 'Snow Sport +' includes

• while heli-skiing/boarding if you are on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator
  • when skiing or snowboarding outside piste boundaries, you are not going against local advice or warning
  • if you are not racing.

Cheers man! This actually seems to be the best I've seen so far. Had a quick read through the PDS and there doesn't seem to be any catches either. Came in at $490 for 4 months in Japan with snow sport + so that's pretty great value compared to other quotes I've looked at. There's an adventure sports add on I could upgrade/swap to if i decide to stay on for some rock climbing too

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

• if you are not racing.

hmm, is an interesting option. i've added it to the google doc.
it doesn't seem to bad. the requirement to check local advice or warnings seems reasonable.

very strange considering its just a CoverMore reseller. the other other Zurich options are far more restricted.
CoverMore's pds was updated June 2019, but CBA is Oct 2018. I suspect it'll be updated eventually to include the changes.

Cheers man! This actually seems to be the best I've seen so far. Had a quick read through the PDS and there doesn't seem to be any catches either. Came in at $490 for 4 months in Japan with snow sport + so that's pretty great value compared to other quotes I've looked at. There's an adventure sports add on I could upgrade/swap to if i decide to stay on for some rock climbing too
less than 2000m for mountaineering seems pretty low. but that covers 99% of japan tho.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Check the CBA policy for gear.....

I looked at it as it came free as I brought my tickets with my CBA card, when I went to upgrade I read through the policy and decided against it due to the conditions on ski luggage.

basically no coverage for ski gear unless you are with it, gear not covered in a locked car etc.

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
FWIW I'd give Good2Go a miss on the basis of my recent exchange. They are an AIG reseller so a good start (see Any's spreadsheet). I read the pds and yep skiing is covered with no exclusions of any kind around the type or nature of skiing. A word search for "off piste", "out of bounds", "cat skiing", "heli skiing", and "backcountry" all drew a blank so two thumbs up there. Nearly signed up...but changed my mind and decided to test the waters first:

"Hello, My family and I will be travelling to USA in January and we will be skiing. Could you please confirm whether we are covered for expenses associated with injury or death arising from skiing within resort boundaries but off piste." Their response was the the classic "its not in the pds but here's what the real rules are". What a friggin waste of time.

"Thank you for your enquiry to Good2Go Travel Insurance.
Although there’s no specific benefit on this policy on what type of skiing is covered:
The policy will respond to cover skiing within marked and patrolled areas at a ski resort area (on-piste skiing)"

"Thanks for your prompt response. We will be skiing within the resort boundaries but between marked runs (e.g. skiing through open-to-the-public treed areas between marked runs). Being within the resort these areas are patrolled. So they are "off-piste" (off marked trails) but also are open and patrolled. Could you possibly clarify your answer on the first email in light of what I've expanded upon above?"

No response from Good2Go. They gave up...

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Does anyone have any knowledge with what's out there re; companies/policies for those on working holiday visa to Canada. Employed as a snowsports instructor (skiing & snowboarding).
You need travel insurance as part of your visa. Many policies offer a snow sports add on but don't include working in a professional capacity while skiing.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Does anyone have any knowledge with what's out there re; companies/policies for those on working holiday visa to Canada. Employed as a snowsports instructor (skiing & snowboarding).
You need travel insurance as part of your visa. Many policies offer a snow sports add on but don't include working in a professional capacity while skiing.
I thought the employeer has to provide insurance while you're working. the rest of the time you're on your own insurance.
makes sense to require it for visa still, for liability n stuff.

but have heard of dodgy employeers in Niseko with either no insurance or requiring their staff to get their own.

probably should check with your employer? if they don't id probably look to work somewhere else ;P

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003

My son is applying for a working holiday visa for Canada and he mentioned some sort of insurance which satisfies the visa requirements. It’s not travel insurance per se, more a medical insurance only.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

• if you are not racing.

@LMB...

Reactions: LMB

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
My son is applying for a working holiday visa for Canada and he mentioned some sort of insurance which satisfies the visa requirements. It’s not travel insurance per se, more a medical insurance only.
Been reading the staff handbook and it looks like my son could be covered under a workers comp policy while working but you would still want to be covered outside of those working hours, including riding / skiing and other activities.
Every traveller to Canada needs travel insurance and can be asked for proof at immigration

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Anyone got any feedback on Souther Cross travel insurance?

they offer snowsport specifics competitively and also provide cover on pre-existing medical conditions

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Last edited:

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
So I purchased travel insurance months and months ago for our upcoming trip in 2 days. It was AAMI.

However, my now pregnant wife has pointed out that we might have some restrictions with pregnancy. She is approx 14weeks, so still fairly early, but I had a quick read of the PDS and it mentions that we will not be covered for things relating to pregnancy or complications, etc.

I get all the above and not expecting that we would be in territory of early delivery or complications. All our checks have been perfect so far. But does this now impact our general cover for say delays, baggage, other injuries sustained, etc?

Do we need separate pregnancy cover?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
So I purchased travel insurance months and months ago for our upcoming trip in 2 days. It was AAMI.

However, my now pregnant wife has pointed out that we might have some restrictions with pregnancy. She is approx 14weeks, so still fairly early, but I had a quick read of the PDS and it mentions that we will not be covered for things relating to pregnancy or complications, etc.

I get all the above and not expecting that we would be in territory of early delivery or complications. All our checks have been perfect so far. But does this now impact our general cover for say delays, baggage, other injuries sustained, etc?

Do we need separate pregnancy cover?
relevant related stuff.
if your flight is delayed because your baby has super powers and caused a snow storm that closed the airport, then any expenses as a result wouldn't be covered. otherwise no issue.

Reactions: nezumi

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016
According to that spreadsheet Bupa covers off piste. Not according to the pds. Off piste with a guide only. My usuals are no good now due to the influx of idiots ruining it for the good folk. Who are people using right now for off piste in and out of resort boundaries and ski touring. Touring with a guide. Thanks

Reactions: Hermannator

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
According to that spreadsheet Bupa covers off piste. Not according to the pds. Off piste with a guide only. My usuals are no good now due to the influx of idiots ruining it for the good folk. Who are people using right now for off piste in and out of resort boundaries and ski touring. Touring with a guide. Thanks
Yep - every time 400 ppl ring up insurer xyz and ask "is off-piste covered", the insurer will likely exclude the cover...
PDS can change pretty quickly so compiled spreadsheet (whilst done with the best intent) should not be taken as gospel.

Thinking of using a cheap insurer for lost bag etc and going Austrian Alpine Club for the proper cover

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016
Yep - every time 400 ppl ring up insurer xyz and ask "is off-piste covered", the insurer will likely exclude the cover...
PDS can change pretty quickly so compiled spreadsheet (whilst done with the best intent) should not be taken as gospel.

Thinking of using a cheap insurer for lost bag etc and going Austrian Alpine Club for the proper cover
Cheers. By the quick look I just had. I’ll join the Austrian Alpine Club and then purchase travel insurance from an Australian company. The Alpine Club will cover for any rescue up to there value anywhere outside of the resort whether I’m touring, heli or cat skiing. I’m assuming they’ll also do the off piste inside resort if required also? Am I reading into this correctly?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Cheers. By the quick look I just had. I’ll join the Austrian Alpine Club and then purchase travel insurance from an Australian company. The Alpine Club will cover for any rescue up to there value anywhere outside of the resort whether I’m touring, heli or cat skiing. I’m assuming they’ll also do the off piste inside resort if required also? Am I reading into this correctly?
If you are looking at doing that, there is now a local option affiliated with the Austrian Alpine Club, which gives you the international insurance benefits while also having an Aus presence: https://www.mountaineering.me/

Reactions: Chillybin

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
PDS can change pretty quickly so compiled spreadsheet (whilst done with the best intent) should not be taken as gospel
most certainly should not be taken as gospel.
I've just double checked Bupa Global, and looks like they still cover off piste and are available to Australians still afaik. Search and rescue is now out tho, which I hadn't noticed before.
Perhaps you were looking at Bupa Australia.
I've updated the doc with bupa au and bupa global to help with the confusion confusion. Bupa AU seems unremarkable, similar to many others.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-TJqFo7vZCHu2g4ZAWlXFta517Zm22CTmKvr4gHkdAA

Reactions: skifree

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
If you are looking at doing that, there is now a local option affiliated with the Austrian Alpine Club, which gives you the international insurance benefits while also having an Aus presence: https://www.mountaineering.me/
Website a bit clunky (new tab for every click) but what you want starts here:
https://www.alpenverein.at/innsbruck-melbourne/index.php

To join:
https://www.alpenverein.at/innsbruck-melbourne/mitgliedwerden/mw.php

Fees EUR62 p.a.

Cover:
https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/s...ip-english-version/0100_insured-worldwide.php

Even some info on using a euro insurer for circa EUR100 to cover lost bags and general travel...
I'm puzzled why Austrian Alpine Club keeps getting recommended.
  • Alpenverein Premium-Single Trip Cover is a travel insurance for one trip abroad exclusively for members of the Österreichischen Alpenverein with country of main place of residence in Europe
  • Medically necessary treatment (including medically necessary transport to a hospital) abroad: up to EUR 10,000
(this isn't even enough to buy a toothbrush in NZ/US/JP Hospitals)

Seems pretty shit to me.
Am I reading the wrong insurance policy or something?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am going through the last bit of reading before green button-I got.

I was wondering if one really needs to list every single large from the last 12 months or just the big stuff like an operation or ongoing treatment.

I mean if you break a leg, then claim are they going to worry if you take an antihistamine occasionally or asthma reliever 1-2 p.a?

One could get really pedantic, list 'everything and blow out the cost of policy or maybe not be offered a policy for a hung toenail or similar??

Perhaps a quick call re the bigger stuff is worth it before signing?

Cheers smart people.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I am going through the last bit of reading before green button-I got.

I was wondering if one really needs to list every single large from the last 12 months or just the big stuff like an operation or ongoing treatment.

I mean if you break a leg, then claim are they going to worry if you take an antihistamine occasionally or asthma reliever 1-2 p.a?

One could get really pedantic, list 'everything and blow out the cost of policy or maybe not be offered a policy for a hung toenail or similar??

Perhaps a quick call re the bigger stuff is worth it before signing?

Cheers smart people.
When you make a claim they ask to see your medical history transcript from your doctor. If their doctors determine that your claim is related to, caused by, or exaggerated by an existing or past condition they they may deny your request.

If you suddenly revert to neanderthal because you didn't take your antihistamine, then your claim might be denied.
(it's a Stargate sg1 episode plot ok).

I believe that by supplying them a list of existing conditions, you're getting them added so that if they are related to a claim then it's ok.

Maybe getting hospitalized because of your asthma is something that can happen, which sounds like a good reason to add your asthma stuff to the insurance.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
  • Alpenverein Premium-Single Trip Cover is a travel insurance for one trip abroad exclusively for members of the Österreichischen Alpenverein with country of main place of residence in Europe
  • Medically necessary treatment (including medically necessary transport to a hospital) abroad: up to EUR 10,000

Seems pretty shit to me.
Am heading to Japow in Feb and yet to get insurance (or join the AAC). Will get back to you with findings

Chillybin

Addicted
Sep 16, 2016

Seems pretty shit to me.
For $104 per annum I’m happy. I took out travel insurance also with another company and am covered when I’m touring etc etc with a guide. The AAC will be for infrequent times I’m touring without a guide and off piste inbounds. So rescue costs inbounds would be zilch but have some sort of cover should my travel insurance decline

Reactions: Hermannator

Saski

Hard Yards
Nov 26, 2019
Melbourne
I just spoke with AAMI re: does cover include off piste and ungroomed runs within the ski resort. The consultant placed me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and recited something back about unlawful acts? He had never heard of the term "ungroomed run".

Saski

Hard Yards
Nov 26, 2019
Melbourne
Sent a query through AAMI's website. They have confirmed coverage for off-piste skiing and unlimited medical expenses for the following: groomed and ungroomed ski runs, skiing within an unpatrolled self-assessment area that is within the boundaries of the ski resort (off piste within the bounds of the ski resort).

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I can't even...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Spence and Any

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Am heading to Japow in Feb and yet to get insurance (or join the AAC). Will get back to you with findings
@Any Going thru options.. for my 17d trip
  • AAMI $265 Seems they have not gone ahead with rumoured bans on off-piste coverage the Supplementary PDS (u/d Nov 19) appears to reference pre-existing conditions and dispute resolution
  • Bupa global - base premium up to USD152 (medical only) USD182 for medical + luggage
  • Diplomant int'l - not available
Exchange rate not kind but AAMI and bupa within $6...

1cover policy is $84 with a $44 winter add-on (add-on doesn't look to be worth the paper it's written on), which Brings AAC to the table...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass