Ski Travel Insurance

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Slight thread diversion,
In addition to @Any comment @1097, I score Smart traveller about a 5/10 for most countries. If you're looking for more info on a certain country, look at the British, French, Canadian, US, Swiss and German equivalent of Smart Traveller. The Swiss version has an English page/Tab so you can easily read their take on the destination in question. For some areas of the world Smart Traveller get their Intel straight from the Brits, with an Aussie spin put on it. If going to Africa, the British and French sites are best as many countries are ex colonies, therefore diplomatic ties are fairly strong and intel is solid.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
So Bupa Global is the go ?
I am heading back to Japan end December till March !!!!!!
I ended up using fast cover. They still write policies for certain countries. I can check when I get home. They also cover side country and OOB with a guide.

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Japan Airlines has teamed up with Allianz Travel to provide complimentary COVID-19 cover, starting December 23, 2020 as part of our JAL FlySafe initiative.
JAL Covid-19 Cover will guarantee medical, testing and quarantine costs in case you test positive for COVID-19 during your international travel on JAL.
In addition, a 24-hour JAL Covid-19 Assistance support line will be available from anywhere in the world to assist passengers should they have possible COVID-19 symptoms.
This service will be provided automatically to all passengers traveling on JAL operated international flights with JL flight numbers, and no application will be needed.

Japan Airlines is the first airline in Japan to provide free COVID-19 cover. We aim to provide support at every step of the way to all our guests who need to travel at this time.

rdk

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2003
Melbourne
@Any it looks on your spreadhseet you have TODO beside NAB Visa insurance, but now the Ts&Cs state exclude off-pisteskiing: "snow skiing or snow boarding other than on groomed slopes"

Reactions: Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
@Any it looks on your spreadhseet you have TODO beside NAB Visa insurance, but now the Ts&Cs state exclude off-pisteskiing: "snow skiing or snow boarding other than on groomed slopes"
ah bugger, it was only a matter of time that they excluded it.
they used to use an old qbe policy, but qbe hasn't supposed off piste for many years.
(document updated)

Reactions: rdk and azzski

Nick.

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2018
aaaaand as of 1st July bupa global is no longer selling travel insurance. three week trip to nz with the mrs, one day of heli skiing for me. what's the best option now? not fussed on covid cover - small deposits on everything with up to 24 hr cancellation.

Reactions: Dave6

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
aaaaand as of 1st July bupa global is no longer selling travel insurance. three week trip to nz with the mrs, one day of heli skiing for me. what's the best option now? not fussed on covid cover - small deposits on everything with up to 24 hr cancellation.
Who are you flying with?. Air NZ offer, well they did travel insurance inc ski sports.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Online quote from Sevencorners was around $2k for 1 years travel ($250 deductable) My son is heading over to Canada for the season and will likely stay on. As he has to transit through SanFrancisco with the Aus Gov advisory of do not travel I don't think any Australian issued policies are going to be as comprehensive. As with all insurance the big print giveth the small print takes away.
I think not having a return flight could be a problem

afaik ALL the australian policies have zero coverage at the moment. lose a paperclip or your leg or a plane crash, no coverage.
yet worldwide many companies are adapting and working it out.

he has a job and visa right?
even so, with a one way flight, upon entry he may be asked to prove he has means to support himself and get home if need be.
just need a credit card to show them.
some asshat customs guy in Tokyo on his high horse tried to hit me with that once thinking he had caught me out or something. I happened to have like 5 credit cards on me, which have absurdly high limits (they keep increasing me despite my protests and putting them back down again), plus a card linked to an offset account. I don't think he'd ever seen so many zeros on his little pocket calculator before :p

I only just saw this thread.....

I've had sevencorners since last October. One year cover ~ $1050 AUD, zero deductable: Wander Frequent Traveler Plus, multiple trips, including USA, and an extra $130 for hazardous activities. However, each trip is limited to 60 days.

If it excludes US, $250 deductable + hazardous activities, it's about $785

Includes $100k USD COVID cover, $1M medical, $1M emergency medical evac & repatriation.

Nick.

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2018
Who are you flying with?. Air NZ offer, well they did travel insurance inc ski sports.
im flying qantas and will probably go with them or commonwealth bank. air nz specifically does not cover off piste, qantas seems to cover a lot more although there is no further details than what's below

1625478651207.png

1625478612696.png

Reactions: mannyk

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Wow. Thanks for posting.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

I've had sevencorners since last October. One year cover ~ $1050 AUD, zero deductable: Wander Frequent Traveler Plus, multiple trips, including USA, and an extra $130 for hazardous activities. However, each trip is limited to 60 days.

Includes $100k USD COVID cover, $1M medical, $1M emergency medical evac & repatriation.
just a warning. with seven corners, even with "hazardous activities" purchased, you have zero off piste coverage of any type whatsoever.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

just a warning. with seven corners, even with "hazardous activities" purchased, you have zero off piste coverage of any type whatsoever.
Here are the general exclusions in my policy, without the hazardous activities add on:

Hazardous Activities: Abseiling; American football; aviation except when travelling solely as a passenger in a​
commercial aircraft; BMX; BASE jumping; bobsledding; boxing; bungee jumping; canyoning; caving; fighting sports;​
free diving; hang gliding; heli-skiing; high diving; hot air ballooning; hunting; inline skating; jet skiing; kayaking;​
kiteboarding; luge; martial arts; motocross (MOTO-X); motorcycle or motor scooter riding whether as a passenger​
or a driver; mountain biking; Mountaineering; offshore boating; Parachuting; paragliding; parasailing; parascending;​
polo; racing of any kind whether by any animal, motor vehicle, motorcycle, or otherwise; rappelling; rock climbing;​
rodeo activity; scuba diving; ski jumping; sky diving; snow skiing and snowboarding except for recreational downhill
and/or cross country snow skiing or snowboarding provided that such is not in any violation of applicable laws, rules,
or regulations or away from prepared and marked in-bound territories or against the advice of the local ski school
or local authoritative body; snowmobiling; spelunking; surfing; trekking; wakeboard riding; water skiing; whitewater​
rafting; wildlife safaris; windsurfing; zip lining; any attempt to make or set sporting records; other adventures sports​
or activities; and any other sport or athletic activity that exposes You to abnormal or extreme risk of Injury. This​
includes practice or training in preparation for any excluded activity; participating in any sporting, recreational, or​
adventure activity where such activity is undertaken against the advice or direction of any local authority or any​
qualified instructor or contrary to the rules, recommendations, and procedures of a recognized governing body for​
the sport or activity; or participating in any activity where such activity is undertaken in disregard of or against the​
recommendations, Treatment programs, or medical advice of a Physician or other health care provider.​
Quite a few of those I would consider not very hazardous, or less hazardous than general recreational skiing. (e.g. inline skating, hot air ballooning, zip lining.....)
So while it states "away from prepared and marked in-bound territories, or against the advice of the local ski school or local authoritative body", quite a lot of off-piste riding is within within marked in-bound territories in Japan. (but not oob)

Here are the inclusions for the hazardous activities add on:
It covers: bungee jumping; caving; hang gliding; jet skiing; motorcycle or motor scooter riding whether as a passenger or a driver; parachuting; paragliding; parasailing; scuba diving only to a depth of 10 meters with a breathing apparatus provided you are SSI, PADI or NAUI certified; snowmobiling; spelunking; wakeboard riding; water skiing; windsurfing; or zip lining.​

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass