Trip Report Ski Tube 2021

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
As President for Life for the Skitube Appreciation Society I thought I'd kick off a new thread for 2021.

At this stage the Skitube is still slated to start Fri June 11 ahead of the LWE.

However, given PV is open from tomorrow - and snow is expected mid next week. I suspect we will see a repeat of 2019 with an early start to Skitube operations announced in coming days.

Given no announcements so far - one can assume overnight parking will be allowed at PV this weekend and until Skitube starts - but hopefully same the problem they had in 2019 - ie snow falls - means they'll get the Skitube rolling either Tues or Wed next week.

Keep an eye on the skitube page here for updates
https://www.perisher.com.au/plan-your-trip/new-to-perisher/skitube

MGS1968

First Runs
Jun 5, 2021
Just out of curiosity, what were the 2020 or even 2019 1 day skitube prices, without lift tickets? Thanks.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
As President for Life for the Skitube Appreciation Society I thought I'd kick off a new thread for 2021.

At this stage the Skitube is still slated to start Fri June 11 ahead of the LWE.

However, given PV is open from tomorrow - and snow is expected mid next week. I suspect we will see a repeat of 2019 with an early start to Skitube operations announced in coming days.

Given no announcements so far - one can assume overnight parking will be allowed at PV this weekend and until Skitube starts - but hopefully same the problem they had in 2019 - ie snow falls - means they'll get the Skitube rolling either Tues or Wed next week.

Keep an eye on the skitube page here for updates
https://www.perisher.com.au/plan-your-trip/new-to-perisher/skitube

Hi RB, can I please ask you or any lurkers a question?

I’m heading to CPass
Sunday 5 Sept (so not a peak period) but since I’ll have gear for a week, I can’t head up the ST before the 11:30am service.

Do you as to when the BF ST car park typically fills to max cap on September Sundays please?

The obvious problem is that we may have to arrive early (8am?) for a guaranteed space only to have to kill 3Hrs+ around the terminal.

I also wondered if Lake Crackenback resort et al provided some overspill parking or even offered an easy walk-in destination for coffee etc... from BF?

Cheers for any ideas. :thumbs:

With Perisher offering no O/N options, I note Charlotte isn’t the easiest one-week destination. But will be worth the trouble once installed in the village. ;)

Reactions: skifree

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

I’m heading to CPass
Sunday 5 Sept (so not a peak period) but since I’ll have gear for a week, I can’t head up the ST before the 11:30am service.

Do you as to when the BF ST car park typically fills to max cap on September Sundays please?

The obvious problem is that we may have to arrive early (8am?) for a guaranteed space only to have to kill 3Hrs+ around the terminal.

I also wondered if Lake Crackenback resort et al provided some overspill parking or even offered an easy walk-in destination for coffee etc... from BF?

With Perisher offering no O/N options, I note Charlotte isn’t the easiest one-week destination. But will be worth the trouble once installed in the village. ;)
Carpark won’t be full. Likely by September they won’t enforce the peak time thing either. Could always drop passengers and gear up at P then one person drive back to tube.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

I’m heading to CPass

You can't take luggage on the Skitube between 6:30am and 11:00am. You might want to try and get on an earlier or later oversnow.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018

I’m heading to CPass

Done September on snow trips around similar time, car park overnight section generally fine, on Sunday it will be the change over:)

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Carpark won’t be full. Likely by September they won’t enforce the peak time thing either. Could always drop passengers and gear up at P then one person drive back to tube.

Thanks skichic2, not a bad idea if we want to head up earlier than 11!

Reactions: Jonathan_P

boardx

Early Days
Jul 4, 2020
Hi everyone, quick question on the ski tube. Is it cheaper to purchase as an add on at the same time you purchase lift tickets, compared to buying it later or even on the day?

MGS1968

First Runs
Jun 5, 2021
Hi everyone, quick question on the ski tube. Is it cheaper to purchase as an add on at the same time you purchase lift tickets, compared to buying it later or even on the day?
Good question, I'd like to know this too as we're not too sure our car, lowered BMW, will be able to use chains, due to very tight clearance. If we hold off, check on the 1st day at a snowchain hire place, and we can't do so, be nice to know we could just upgrade our tix to include skitube at the same low price.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Massively cheaper buying it as an add-on.

I can't see on-the-day prices being lower than online now, and your options at present are a same-day return for $68 (on a Monday) versus a 5 day return add-on to a 5 day lift pass for $118.

Reactions: skifree and boardx

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Larder at Lake Crackenback is a good walk in cafe/restaurant.

Cheers Townsend.
Is it vaguely walkable from O/N car park at B Flat? A km or so?

Assume more time effective to drive to cafe then park in O/N for tube? Since O/N isnt under the space cap constraints?

cheers?

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
15 minute walk @snowgum
BEDC6352-0EC5-4416-A541-9C1322B076DC.png

Reactions: skifree and snowgum

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Cool thanks - could drive or walk? Nice to walk to kill an hour if need be.

might even do lunch (luggage free) then we can go (almost) directly to OS at P.

Very civilised!
:):thumbs:
You can walk that way. But the gate is locked for driving. You’d need to go back out onto the road and back in.

Reactions: snowgum

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
How have the crowds been on the skitube today and yesterday. Seems like absolute nightmare on the roads to the resort. I have season pass with skitube addons for the family and trying to decide whether to come up tomorrow.

Also it is a bit unclear to me whether the skitube is out of action, or whether there is a reduced timetable or any impact at all from the a reported fire that I have read about. Any news to share?

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I noticed Perisher seems to be running the Skitube every 25 minutes in 'peak' periods again all season this year, like last year (during COVID), rather than the more typical 20 minute peak frequency they always used to have.

Any idea why this is?

Things might get interesting when the season gets busy!

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Channel 7 just reported about a fire on the ski tube today. No injuries reported.
That wasn't the incident on Saturday (?) when passengers were evacuated from the station after a burning smell found to be the train's brakes.

NathanF

Hard Yards
Jun 11, 2011
Yes, it looked like the saturday event. For some reason they decided to run it today:confused:
Who knows, tomorrow they might run a story of a chair coming off the rope at the premium resort. I know it's off topic, but were the findings/WHS report or something similar ever made public?

Reactions: Val Desire

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
A bit of trivia for you, the SkiTube timetable page currently has calendar dates available until 4 November but timetables only until 4 October. I think someone has programed the wrong month for the service to end.

Waccaa

First Runs
Jun 22, 2021
Love the Skitube but the timetable change sux.
If you have luggage and want a full day's skiing on arrival you need to be on the 6:25am train. Otherwise write-off half your first day as far as skiing goes and catch the 11:25.
No idea why they changed for 8am being the last train with luggage in 2019. That made coming from Canberra a early but not an impossibly early start.
You would think they would want to may is easy for people staying at the resort.

:(

• Sad
Reactions: Val Desire

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
If you have luggage and want a full day's skiing on arrival you need to be on the 6:25am train. Otherwise write-off half your first day as far as skiing goes and catch the 11:25.
No idea why they changed for 8am being the last train with luggage in 2019. That made coming from Canberra a early but not an impossibly early start.
You would think they would want to may is easy for people staying at the resort.

Maybe cause its busy and social distancing applies?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
It looks like there's been a change to make the names of the skitube products clearer, but also an acompanying price increase - throughout the school holidays, and from Friday to Monday in July and August, the price of a single day skitube ticket has gone up to $99. Tuesday to Thursday outside of school holidays is still $59 - high, but not as bad.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

Also used by people staying at Charlotte Pass.

Balsta

One of Us
Sep 11, 2012
Maybe cause its busy and social distancing applies?
Lol, social distancing is non existent. Caught it today to Blue Cow from Perisher, it was packed. Zero social distancing and worse still only myself and about 4 others that I could see had the “recommended” face coverings.

Reactions: nezumi

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Lol, social distancing is non existent. Caught it today to Blue Cow from Perisher, it was packed. Zero social distancing and worse still only myself and about 4 others that I could see had the “recommended” face coverings.
I know it is...
but the resort has to have that in their plans.

Reactions: Balsta
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass