1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Ski tube cost

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by GlendaN, Feb 20, 2019.

1. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

We are planning on staying in Jindabyne for 2 weeks and have an Epic Pass. Is the ski tube add on at $105 worth it for two weeks? There isn't any information about tube costs on the Perisher website and I need to add soon to avoid price rise.

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It's $31.a day

3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Do you plan to drive up to Perisher or ride the Toob? How many people will be in the car? The answer to those questions answer your original question.

GlendaN likes this.
  4. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

Thanks definitely get the add on then.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  5. Donzah

To drive is $27 a day or $190 a year

GlendaN likes this.
  6. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

Went for five days last year and only cost a few dollars more than driving up each day. Well worth it.

GlendaN likes this.
  7. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

Thanks all for the advice I can make an informed decision now.

8. ithilmar

ithilmar Hard Yards

Where did you find the cost? The perisher website only seems to have prices for a return trip or season pass.

9. Donzah

It may go up to $32
    Thats the price I paid to add it on to my epic pass for one day return.

10. ithilmar

ithilmar Hard Yards

I am not using epic pass, would need a pass for 4 days, the options on Perisher website seem expensive.

11. Donzah

Skitube is $105 for 4 days as a add on to a 4 day lift pass.

12. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

is that how much extra it was when you bought the pass?
    I reckon it's good value anyway
    I've bought it every year since the Freedom pass
    I only drive in when I'm volunteering, and I get a freebie on those days

13. schneeschleicher

schneeschleicher Hard Yards

Hi Donzah. Where did you find this info? The Perisher Blue site is a dog's breakfast.

Mouse_M likes this.
  14. schneeschleicher

schneeschleicher Hard Yards

Never mind. Figured it out. Still a dog's breakfast.

SnowRabbit, cornice11 and nezumi like this.
  15. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I had the same experience when it came to looking for info on the ski-tube. I was offered the add-on when I booked my lift pass, after reaching the checkout stage I think?

16. Donzah

Yup it's a add on near checkout

17. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

Sorry for slow response I only just saw this post but yes it was offered at that price as an add on. Price would be more now as it was a time limited offer.

18. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

To be honest I don't see the value in the ski tube, unless you have a 2WD and will be driving through snow and even then the benefit is small. Or if you will be going during peak times and are unable to get to the carpark at a decent hour - as you're staying in Jindy though this doesn't apply to you since you're fully capable of getting in to Perisher by 7:30-8AM which will guarantee a good carpark. With the tube you still have to drive to bullocks flat, and you no longer have access to your vehicle so you have to take everything you need with you, and you may need to hire a locker if you want to be able to change in or out of gear throughout the day. If you're staying for 2 weeks, that's 14 days, you'd be looking at maybe 10-12 ski days I'm guessing, say 12 days. Annual park access is $190 and gives you access to all other NSW parks for a year, so that's less than $16 per day. Even adding on $10 for extra petrol per day compared with Bullocks Flat (which is generous), for families it's definitely cheaper than 3 or more tube passes.

AliciaJK and GlendaN like this.
  19. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

$29 per day, it went up last year. Although those who got in before the Queen's birthday long-weekend for the early opening would only have paid $17 for the day!

20. Squid

Squid First Runs

Is this the current price, if so what is it for a child as well, I can't find it on the perisher website, I have a valid lift ticket.

21. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

Definitely worth it for that long a stay.
    With anything snow-related, “worth it” is a highly relative term

22. was June daily watching

Driving to Perisher and parking there is becoming more horrific every year.
    Plenty of 4wds parked at Bullocks Flat Skitube.

23. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@was June daily watching , i realise that it's almost time to say goodbye again :cry:

Your clever name and endearing long black ears bridge the gap between the start of winter and the prospect of reliable snow. See you back here next year :wave:

24. was June daily watching

:emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

currawong likes this.
  25. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

Well sure, if you can't in early. I've never had a problem, even in the height of the season the busiest school holiday weekends, getting in before 8. One day last year when I left, from the very front of the Perisher carpark, there were cars parked all the way back to Smiggins and then all the way from there back a LONG way too. IIRC I got in at about 7:50 or so. Personally I don't see the logic in paying extra to get in later if you have the choice, but of course I fully understand not everyone can make it to the car park at a decent hour to get a place in the height of the season too.

But look if people find the tube good value, then all the best to them. Don't let me discourage you!

26. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Stupid question - is there such a thing as a one-way skitube ticket? I can see that the "Open return" on the website is for return within 14 days, so I am hoping that there is another option, rather than buying the "sight seers" day return ticket.

On that note - are we able to transport luggage to accommodation at Smiggins, or is it going to be easier and cheaper to drive up, check in, then do the car shuffle with ski tube in the evening?

27. Donzah

Personally. I'd drive up and leave my car at sawpit

28. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Is that the one just inside the park proper? I have considered it, but the daily cost of park entry makes it pretty price, and it means being unable to load our car until ~6pm (Accommodation offers shuttles to their "offsite carpark" at 8:30AM and 5:30PM only)

Option one: Car shuffle - deliver wife and kiddo to Smiggins, unload, at end of day make the trip down from accommodation to Bullocks Flat and skitube up (possibly with kiddo, since he's a freebie). On Friday head down by ski tube at lunch time, then shuffle the car up to Smiggins to load. Otherwise try and make a super early trip down on the ski tube to get the car up the hill first thing, to ensure parking availability. Cost: $85 + 2*$29 + ~$60 for chains = $205. Time lost: ~ 3 hours in car shuffle. Benefit: We can leave when we are ready on Friday, meaning not driving out of Perisher at night.

Option two: Ski tube only. Drive direct to Bullocks Flat, unload all gear and catch the skitube up with everything. Figure out how to get from FV to Smiggins with luggage - shuttle, or taxi/oversnow equivalent? Return trip is exactly the same, but with parents heading to the lodge first, getting all luggage and then collecting kiddo from ski school early and making one of the last two "no luggage" ski tube trains. Cost: $85*2 + FV to Smiggins cost = $170+. Possible time and hassle with the shuffle between FV and Smiggins with luggage.

Option three: Drive up, unload, and offsite park through accommodation. This means either collecting the car in the morning (and thus missing my final lesson) or in the evening (and so leaving later than I would like). Cost = $29*6 + $35 + $60 = $269.

No clear winner, but I am most willing to put an impost on my time that on my wife and kiddo.

29. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Option one looks to be the best. There’s a free bus between Smiggs and Perisher skitube, but it would be painful with all your gear.

nezumi likes this.
  30. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

with option 1, just make sure you take a tube which arrives back at Perisher in time for the last free shuttle bus to smiggins - which is about 6pm. Otherwise it may be a long walk with a young one or an exy Hans trip (I think $25 an adult)

nezumi likes this.
  31. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Thanks for the heads up on the shuttle timings. I figure it will be an afternoon trip once we unload the car and have a bit of snowplay time. That said, worst case scenario if it looks dire I can walk between FV and Smiggins - maybe get a sympathetic lift, but otherwise it shouldn't be too long.

32. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

I agree Option 1. My husband has done the ski tube shuffle a few times and it doesn't seem to take all that long. I use the time to unpack so everything's done by the time he gets back.

33. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Ski tube is great
    Except when windy and the gravel smashes car windows in the car park

34. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

How long are you staying? It might be worth just paying $190 for the all-year park entry.

35. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

6 days only, and since we're coming from Melbourne, we'd be hard pressed to get the value out of the additional days. I did consider it, but for this trip it's juuuuust beyond being viable.

36. GlendaN

GlendaN Hard Yards

I think Sawpit is within the Park. But if you're here for 6 days wouldn't the open return ski tube ticket you referred to be ok.

37. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

This is so déjà vu as yesterday I was riding the chair with a guy who said he drove from Bullocks Flat to Perisher and said "rookie mistake" and something about accommodation (sorry don't remember specific details). If there's overnight parking then yes I would think the $29 per day is the best value for six days. You can drive straight to Jindy and go to the supermarket etc, but with snow tube your options are limited especially as the last shuttle bus as mentioned is around 6PM so no access to your car if you're at Smiggins. But if there's no overnight parking at your accommodation then Bullock's Flat will be the best option.

38. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Overnight parking is like hen's teeth. And comes at a cost which needs to be factored in.

39. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

The overnight parking @ $29/day plus $35 is to park at the entrance gates to the National Park (Sawpit Creek), so this doesn't give any flexibility in terms of going in to Jindy etc. If I wanted to fork out for it, I could park at the accommodation overnight for the duration of the stay, but that would carry a premium of $25 per night, on top of the park entry fee.

40. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

Okay yeah, like you said no clear winner. it's a toss-up between paying 2x skitube open-return tickets and one open-return plus $58 for 2x park entry (plus cost of chains, I'd check gumtree if I were you you can often find used ones cheap).

41. CDXX

CDXX First Runs

Are these tickets return to bullocks flats from perisher?

42. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Yes - all lift passes include free use of the skitube between Perisher FV and Blue Cow - you only pay extra for passage between FV and Bullocks Flat.