Ski tuning for first time snow ploughing 3 year old

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
Hi guys - what are the opinions on tuning 76cm skis for a 3.5 year old first time beginner? These hand me down skis have probably had about 50 days skiing in them. I can't remember their tuning history, but best case it would have been about 25 days ago. It's possible they've never been tuned or waxed since Santa brought them to an older sibling.

I have seen some online posts saying tuning is important for all skis but I, perhaps for my own convenience, had always understood it was irrelevant at this stage.

Any thoughts, very welcome!

Thanks

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just make sure the bases aren't all furry, edges will be irrelevant - if it's firm enough to really need them it's probably too firm to learn on.

You don't want a race waxed fast base but a full furry base where wet snow will stick to it isn't ideal either. So maybe just rub some wax on rather than a hot wax.

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
Just make sure the bases aren't all furry, edges will be irrelevant - if it's firm enough to really need them it's probably too firm to learn on.

You don't want a race waxed fast base but a full furry base where wet snow will stick to it isn't ideal either. So maybe just rub some wax on rather than a hot wax.
Thanks a lot for that fast response. Appreciated.

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
Hi guys - what are the opinions on tuning 76cm skis for a 3.5 year old first time beginner? These hand me down skis have probably had about 50 days skiing in them. I can't remember their tuning history, but best case it would have been about 25 days ago. It's possible they've never been tuned or waxed since Santa brought them to an older sibling.

I have seen some online posts saying tuning is important for all skis but I, perhaps for my own convenience, had always understood it was irrelevant at this stage.

Any thoughts, very welcome!

Thanks
Save your money and spend it on hot chocolates instead, they won't feel the difference. Christ I've skied for over 50 years and could probably count the amounts of tunes my skis have had on one hand LOL

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
Save your money and spend it on hot chocolates instead, they won't feel the difference. Christ I've skied for over 50 years and could probably count the amounts of tunes my skis have had on one hand LOL
So you spend all day skidding around? Or do you rent instead?

Reactions: Cecret Skier

Swede

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 3, 2007
Woonona
So you spend all day skidding around? Or do you rent instead?
Haha, nah I’ve never rented skis and can’t say I’m skidding a hell of a lot, but then I’m not a ski racer having to hold an edge on an ice course at 130km/h either LOL

Cecret Skier

Addicted
Jul 3, 2018
Thanks guys. Don't worry, plenty of hot chocolates in store for the little guy that's for sure.

Will do the basic treatment per the suggestions.

No idea how you can ski well without tuning Swede, but as long as you're having fun and its working for you then go for it! I feel like I've got my little routine for the rest of the family established so will probably stick with that...!

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I haven't had a ski tune for 20 years or more. Never had any shops locally to get them done. Current skis are in season 4. They work well in nice snow. Bit slippy on firm snow. But i figure better to spend time picking the right days to be skiing, than tuning the skis for the days when its a bit meh.

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
Unless you are tuning your own ski's super aggresively, then just tune the kids ski's the same, and maybe gently detune the edge lightly, particularly near tip and tail. Wax base as per normal.

All our boards and ski's get 88 degree side angle and ~1.5 degrees on the base - except my snowboard which gets .5 degrees on the base. So I was happily faffing around with a beer doing everyone's skis when another lodge member came in to do his. Now this dude is a champion skier, and all his family are expert skiers, so I was of course interested in what he did. In response to me asking "what angle do you do your edges at?" he picked up a file, bent it slightly on his leg, and responded "about that, more or less"!

My take away was that anything kinda sharp for the edges, and kinda slippery for the base is probably going to be good enough for us mortals.

Reactions: RustyJ

Gargamel

Addicted
May 28, 2022
Each to their own when it comes to gear, what you buy and how you look after it.

I personally buy good gear and maintain it. I don’t complain that ‘they don’t make stuff like they used to’, it’s too windy, too icy, too slow or too slushy. Nor do I get too tired from falling over all the time.

I get the biggest kick zooming down flatter runs like bullwheel passing people riding poorly maintained skis and snowboards

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass