Ski Victoria

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Our Perisher trip has been covid’ed for the second year running. Weve never skied Victoria but looking at the way things are trending there, it is entirely possible Victoria will open up in the next week or two.
We were looking at travelling end of august. My wife and I are solid intermediate level, hard blue/easy black runs/side piste at the moment.
Nothing too hard core (both started skiing late).
Which would be the best resort to consider accounting for ease of access, travel time, suitable terrain etc?
thanks

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I too am from Queensland and are thinking the same thing.
From my research (and I could have this wrong) Hotham most similar to Thredbo and Falls resembles Perisher in parts.

Reactions: Roymond

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
In that case, Buller is much closer to Melbourne - about a 2.5 hr drive. Falls & Hotham about 4.5 hrs. Easy drive to Buller too. Good range of terrain. Goes stupid on weekends though because of its proximity to Melbourne.
That could be a good option now you say it. We could drive to Mansfield on the Sunday and ski Monday to Thursday then scoot home on the Friday. We’ll have to do it on the fly as this border business is an hour by hour proposition.

Reactions: dr80

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
If Buller still has the great snow cover go there. There's nothing like it in Australia when it's fully open and open top to bottom with great cover. Stand alone mountain peak with virtual 360 degrees skiing. Good bowls, long groomers, amazing tree skiing (even in the WOOLYBUTTS!) and amazing Alpine skiing and views from the summit.

Hotham is my fave in Vicco for it's steep gullies and bowls and wild views of Feathertop and the Razorback, however what it has in intermediate and advanced terrain it lacks it in beginners runs and also has no real village vibe.

Falls is fun and has a nice village vibe.

Note: the main access road to Hotham the feel of a real alpine drive for the last section and consequentially risk.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the big unknown is whether the lift companies will scale back operations to limit losses. not saying they will. Buller is privately owned, not beholden to shareholders. last season they tried to stay open when Vail pulled the plug for financial reasons. how will that play out this year? will Buller keep staff longer, keep snowmaking and snow farming etc? no idea, but I'd probably keep an eye on vacancies and delay committing as long as possible.

for the Vail mountains, Hotham has more hard blue/easy black than Falls. Falls has more easy blue. Many Hotham runs funnel together near the bottom and can be crazy. Falls is more spread out. With Hotham there is a risk of road closure in a blizzard but less chance in late Aug.

Reactions: Roymond and echidna

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
If Buller still has the great snow cover go there. There's nothing like it in Australia when it's fully open and open top to bottom with great cover. Stand alone mountain peak with virtual 360 degrees skiing. Good bowls, long groomers, amazing tree skiing (even in the WOOLYBUTTS!) and amazing Alpine skiing and views from the summit.

Hotham is my fave in Vicco for it's steep gullies and bowls and wild views of Feathertop and the Razorback, however what it has in intermediate and advanced terrain it lacks it in beginners runs and also has no real village vibe.

Falls is fun and has a nice village vibe.

Note: the main access road to Hotham the feel of a real alpine drive for the last section and consequentially risk.
Falls views are pretty special too - not only of the lake, but also the Bogong High Plains, and Spion Kopje.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Speaking of 'Ski Vic' (where else to post covidvic ski arrg'ts type issues?)...

What are folks' experience re the covid test and skiing (e.g. from last time around)?

A few things still unclear to me:
  • Does one have to isolate whilst awaiting result (asymptomatic)? I've just been tested (circa 15:30 today so will advise how long it took). The two clinics I spoke to said yes (one over phone and 2nd at test place). Second one was a bit vague and said "should" rather than "must"
  • If you were already up there (e.g. staff, holiday home etc) do you have to shuffle off the hill, get tested (and stay where?) before coming back up? What if to do grocery shopping etc?
  • What if you're staying off-mtn, do you have to get re-tested every 72h?
  • Guessing no car-pooling with those outside your house/intimate partner/single bubble so more cars = big far Kews at the gate
  • If your work means physically going to work then good luck getting 3 days extra leave (pending answer to 1st two dot pts) just to do a w/e at the snow
  • Lodges to be briefed by tomorrow but sounds like can take guests as long as only one house/intimate partner/single bubble per rm
Whole thing's gonna be a shit-show

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
  • you do not have to isolate while waiting for a test for alpine travel
  • rules for who has to get tested locally are a bit complicated and still being clarified. but basically they will be subject to some testing
  • if staying off-mountain then looks like you do have test every 72 hrs
  • not sure about car pooling. i think it will probably be allowed for staff
  • as above, you don't have to isolate but make sure you say it is for alpine travel
  • still not quite clear how lodges will operate
shit show but better than no skiing

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
  • you do not have to isolate while waiting for a test for alpine travel
What is the source for this?
Planning to hit Buller on Friday and get a test tomorrow. just wondering if Im allowed out after the test :)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What is the source for this?
Planning to hit Buller on Friday and get a test tomorrow. just wondering if Im allowed out after the test :)
that was the situation when tests for skiing were required previously. tests for travel, pre-surgery, routine work-related are some of the reasons were you don't have to isolate

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
that was the situation when tests for skiing were required previously. tests for travel, pre-surgery, routine work-related are some of the reasons were you don't have to isolate
thank you

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I WAS required to isolate from the test until the surgery last time.
fair enough. some were not.

my point is that there are some types of testing where you don't have to isolate. travelling to an alpine resort is one of them.

some testing places may not do tests for alpine travel. hopefully this has been sorted out by now.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I WAS required to isolate from the test until the surgery last time.

I suspect that has more to do with infection control within the theatre etc than with concerns around you being positive already.

If you are symptomatic, then isolating while awaiting the result makes sense as you could potentially be spreading the virus. If you are asymptomatic and have not attended a hotspot/listed as a close contact, then getting a precautionary test doesn't mean you are at risk of spreading an infection.

In the case of surgery, the goal would be to ensure that you were not only negative for covid at the time of the test, but that you then had minimal contact with others, reducing the potential for you to bring covid into the operating theatre and infecting your surgeon and staff.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Looks like living in Mt Beauty I'm going to have to have a COVID test every 3 days in order to ski regularly. Victorian government have jumped the shark.

Reactions: soza

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Surely when they clarify the testing tomorrow it will be similar to last time. For example only needing to test before leaving Melbourne and then being fine after that.

Jul 28, 2021
I got tested on the 27th, it came back late 28th, was on the slopes 29th and had a sticker placed on my screen that I’m clear until the 30th. I have enquired with management whether this is the 30th inclusive as you basically lose two days of that period with being tested and then waiting. One of the surveillance staff I talked to really hoped the necessity for testing wasn’t going to continue. I’d say if it does, locals and day trippers from the adjoining shires to alpine are going to spack it.

Jul 28, 2021
I got tested on the 27th, it came back late 28th, was on the slopes 29th and had a sticker placed on my screen that I’m clear until the 30th. I have enquired with management whether this is the 30th inclusive as you basically lose two days of that period with being tested and then waiting. One of the surveillance staff I talked to really hoped the necessity for testing wasn’t going to continue. I’d say if it does, locals and day trippers from the adjoining shires to alpine are going to spack it.
Just in case anyone is curious, the response from the management regarding this inquiry was..."The staff checking your test will look at the date you received the result so you will be fine to enter on the 30th."

Nit picking I know, but if you're driving from an adjoining shire-it may save you some heart ache. That also might help the Mt Beauty locals out if they can't get a booking for a test and their expiry is due to fall on that 72 hour window. So quote "the date you received the result", and that's straight from the Management Board at beautiful Falls Creek.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Our Perisher trip has been covid’ed for the second year running. Weve never skied Victoria but looking at the way things are trending there, it is entirely possible Victoria will open up in the next week or two.
We were looking at travelling end of august. My wife and I are solid intermediate level, hard blue/easy black runs/side piste at the moment.
Nothing too hard core (both started skiing late).
Which would be the best resort to consider accounting for ease of access, travel time, suitable terrain etc?
thanks

Mate with the snow the way it is both locations are arguably better than anything we have in NSW, take your pick.... :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass