1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Skier suing skier - do we need this?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Annabuzzy, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

There are way too many people out there skiing and boarding at speeds way beyond their abilities. Just check out the dickheads on PSR posting videos of themselves straightlining runs at speeds near 100km/hr.

Mistakes happen sure, but if you intentionally ski or board without due care and injure or kill someone then you should be held accountable.

SnowBound, zac150, nezumi and 11 others like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My first preference would be no fault injury and disability insurance, like the vic traffic accident scheme.
    Failing that, then i have no problem with people seeking to recover money for serious injuries. I would like to see better legal support for the skier code to define who has right of way etc.

My main fear when skiing is being injured by others on the slopes. Lots of my friends feel the same. I've read posters on these forums saying that people have a right to go fast and it's just tough luck if they hit someone going slower, or daring to make turns below them. That attitude is terrifying and needs to be stamped out.

Many surgeons discourage skiing after the surgery I've had. Mine is more understanding but has cautioned me about the risk of very dire consequences if I am run down. I avoid busy days and busy runs. I have not skiied on a sat or sun all season.

Chaeron, nezumi, SMSkier and 3 others like this.
  4. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A successful suit against one of the resorts for not properly policing slow zones and which could be linked to an injury might cause resorts to clamp down on reckless riders.

Chaeron, GlendaN, nezumi and 4 others like this.
  5. chicski

They can’t be everywhere, and I’ve been ticked off for speed at times. But my eyes are constantly scanning and I’m pretty confident I could avoid someone else. It’s the overconfident or out of control down runs like a Towers or Ridge that scare me. I will pull over to the side and let others pass if I think they’re a risk. I look over my shoulder before making bigger turns and give beginners and kids a very wide berth. And always try and pass boarders on their toe edge.

But I don’t know that the average snow person skis defensively like that. An injury does that.

Chaeron, despot721, nezumi and 7 others like this.
  6. currawong

Scuba, recreational boating, parachuting, and probably others that i can't think of, need formal accreditation. Sometimes i think we need that in snowsports. Need to pass a test (theory for rules & ettiquette and a few skills) to get off an introductory slope.

Won't ever happen because it would hurt profits

Chaeron, Izzy, sastrugi and 3 others like this.
  7. Annabuzzy

I generally ski on less populated runs as I agree the greatest danger on the mountain is other skiers.

But my reading of that summary is the passing skier effectively ran out of room. Yes, the code says the uphill skier is responsible, and I’m not suggesting otherwise. But on my reading between the lines the passing skier initiated the overtake when there was room to do so (maybe *just*) but gap got closed by the downhill skier, probably oblivious to the uphill skiers presence.

For me, while there’s “fault” some incidents have more grave levels of fault than others. If what started as a safe overtake turned unsafe because of an unpredictable turn from the downhill skier, yes uphill is at “fault” but it seems to me a lesser level of fault than out and out reckless skiing. These sorts of accidental collisions happen every day on our mountains. Are we really planning to litigate them?

And if they do insist on litigating, why not sue the resorts for having overcrowded dangerous runs? That’s not a momentary mistake. That’s an intentional choice, leading to just this situation (slow cautious unpredictable skier on narrow run with faster skiers, with no room to manoeuvre).

8. chicski

If you’re passing someone it’s your responsibility to avoid someone in front and allow for turns. I’ll call out in a scenario like that, as I do on my bike “passing on your right”. But the behind skier didn’t slow down either according to the report. Slow down, expect the unexpected. If it’s not safe to pass, don’t.

9. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Litigation doesn't serve as a deterrent though , does it?

Call_me_Ishmael likes this.
  10. southpaw

Exactly! There should be some accreditation or at the very least staff can cite out of control or reckless riders and require them to undertake some formal lessons before being allowed out again. Yes it could hurt profits if only one resort did it but if they all got together to agree on it then less likely to be impact profits.

11. Annabuzzy

I do agree with you.

But there’s a scale of bad “at fault” behaviour and I put that toward the lower end of it

Crystal and currawong like this.
  12. chicski

I’m more of a black and white person ;)

Annabuzzy likes this.
  13. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

The perp was insured. Maybe he invited the victim to sue.

I was injured in a lesson once and the ski school told me outright that they were insured and invited me to sue them (I didn't).

Chaeron likes this.
  14. Annabuzzy

There’s a good chance of that, yes.

I’d just hate to see our mountains become a litigation playground. There’s enough BS on the hill without people suing each other for transgressions toward the lesser end of the “wrong” scale.

Bogong and piolet like this.
  15. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

This in spades. I love going fast but only when the run is clear. Always slow right down when anyone, esp kids in the area. Weekends are the worst, which is why I tend to go midweek.

I ski Buller and the worst runs are Buller Spur/Wombat, lots of out of control punters going too fast. They do patrol on weekends but have never seen a pass revoked. Saw one guy straight lining Wombat with a selfie stick and although he was obviously a good skier there were beginners traversing and just takes a small error to be out of control. Must be very intimidating for the nervous beginner/intermediate or parents with small kids. Another issue is people dropping in as if they are in a half pipe, lots of blind spots.

In the end it comes down to awareness of who is around you.

Best way to avoid the heroes is just ski black runs. Never an issue on them!

willsnow likes this.
  16. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

too many lawyers are never enough
    I note that they have a Colorado Skier Safety Act, so this kind of thing might be inevitable
    act here

Annabuzzy likes this.
  17. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I saw the PSR videos. Unbelievable. I think only one person commented that it was wrong, the rest called her/him ‘fun police’. I left the group, it’s just too much.

LMB, SMSkier, dawooduck and 1 other person like this.
  18. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

A broken bone and 2 years of rehab isn't a minor outcome. This is the USA remember - the $750K probably only just covers the out of pocket medical expenses.

19. MickM

Exactly, just puts up the price of lift tickets.

Needs more serious policing. If people think they can get away with it, they will continue to do it.

Chaeron likes this.
  20. currawong

Definitely grades of fault. However in heavy vehicle traffic, if you brake heavily and i rear end you, i still have to pay for the damage to your car. If you run me down on skis and smash my leg to bits, or make me a paraplegic or give me a serious brain injury, why should you not be just as liable? Unless it is covered by universal insurance.

zac150, nezumi, coolair and 1 other person like this.
  21. Donzah

Some people don't even know they are being dangerous.

Chaeron, LMB, nezumi and 6 others like this.
  22. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

the ghost of Gough Whitlam is cheering you on
    however that might work here, the seppos like everything privatised, in court and litigated
    I note that the victim required bone surgery, so that rates a serious claim

23. Donzah

There is a lot of young bravado in the PSR group.
    So many new skiers

cornice11 likes this.
  24. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

You must give way to the person downhill.
    This is rule 1 and any attempt to say ‘the person below me moved unpredictably’ is not an acceptable defence.
    Give way downhill, it ain’t difficult if you’re not a ****wit.

25. southpaw

Litigation against the resorts might be the best way to force better policing. Just wishing it won’t make them invest in better policing.

26. chicski

The designated slow zones in Breckenridge were very well policed, and fenced. It’s the more advanced areas where I feel more at risk. First tracks on Ridge terrifies me. I’m at the back on the run down and generally end up on Summit fairly quickly.

27. Joe2020

Joe2020 One of Us

Serving alcohol early in the day doesn't help, it's only a matter of time before it goes pear shaped in Auz.
    I have many memories of Perisher power drinking yobbos running a muck, poor mountain etiquette, whizzing past woman and children with not even a " coming through " warning.

They load up and charge like animals, the alpine safety act is an afterthought.

southpaw and chicski like this.
  28. Annabuzzy

True. All true.

When I first learnt to ski a woman broke her ankle getting off the chairlift at Friday flat just ahead of me. She just fell over and *snap* broke her ankle.

I only tell that anecdote to draw attention to the possibility the extent of injuries may not necessarily mean the passing skier was doing so at a rate of knots.

Bogong likes this.
  29. southpaw

The slow zones at Perisher don’t seem to be though. I’m worried about beginners doing the right thing and diligently practicing their turns, while reckless and equally inexperienced riders think it’s hilarious barrelling down FV out of control.

Joe2020 and chicski like this.
  30. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

No excuse for failing to overtake safely.

31. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Most. The lack of care for others is well displayed from carpark to ski slopes.

LMB, SMSkier, Tanuki and 3 others like this.
  32. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Let’s not get too Aussie on this and demand rules for everything. Skiing is inherently dangerous and yes there are some idiots but the vast majority are fine. I don’t want to get to a point where you can’t go fast when it’s safe to do it. Also calling to someone when you pass them can be dangerous. I have seen people panic, fall over or do something random when people call out to them. I just expect everyone to do something crazy or unexpected and mediate my speed in context ie no 100km+ down towers on busy days but if you are skiing on clear run hell yer go for it. In regards to specifically overtaking you should never hit someone fullstop.

piolet, dawooduck and MickM like this.
  33. MickM

Yep, I can see your point.

Joe2020 and southpaw like this.
  34. southpaw

Totally agree with this but I don’t think anyone is suggesting anything different.

MickM and Joe2020 like this.
  35. Call_me_Ishmael

Call_me_Ishmael One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

and New Zealand...includes poor medical outcomes there as well
    Won't happen here because 90% of our politicians are lawyers and insurance/negligence/litigation is how they breed

telecrag likes this.
  36. LDJ

When people start suing people/resorts they have to control speed as it something they can try to control, in reality there is no way they are going to stop poor technique punters skiing they would go out of business. Speed is one factor in crashes but I worry that it’s pretty much the only one the resorts can impact (unless they build another 30 lifts to reduce congestion ;)) so suing will equal speed restrictions

37. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This is why i like sidecountry/ backcountry where its more personal.

Chaeron, LMB, zac150 and 4 others like this.
  38. MickM

Yeah, we would all like it if they didn't pull you up if you were in control, but would be hard to judge. Unfortunately, the reality is if rules come in they will be a blanket approach. See it in the workplace all the time.

I would like patrol to cancel tickets of those being totally reckless, and they are easy to spot.

Might make others on the borderline think twice.

No easy solution, some people are just entitled.

Bogong likes this.
  39. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Last week at Thredbo I witnessed a curious interaction at the load of Sponars.

A chap I have seen about Thredbo came up to another chap I have also seen about Thredbo and in summary (not word for word) said "you went past me and missed me by inches and were going way to fast for that and are to give way to people below you, stop this, you are an idiot to be skiing this way."

The response was "if you don't get away from me now I'll call the police"

40. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thredbo doesn't have these issues.

Take it to perisher forum.

skull likes this.
  41. southpaw

I think there is a middle ground. Earlier this season I spent an hour down the bottom of front valley watching my kids do a few laps, I reckon for every hundred or so riders I saw about 5 or so that were a danger to themselves or others. Some were yobbos and others just rank beginners. I reckon if the resort better patrolled the hotspots where collisions were more common they could have a nuanced response - warn the yobs and threaten to cancel tickets ) and advise the rank beginners (suggest lessons, send them for turns on the carpet etc). I reckon this would go a long way to reducing avoidable collisions. I also saw very accomplished skiers safely zooming down FV which didn’t concern me nor should they concern the resort as they were careful in picking their line and were clearly in control.

LMB, MickM and skifree like this.
  42. chicski

One word. Supertrail :eek:

43. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

Agree did it once never again.
    So many people trying to fill their boots or beat normos world record.

44. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

High noons worse.

LMB and chicski like this.
  45. skifree

ROFL

46. currawong

I still worry about very good skiers sometimes not leaving enough of a buffer for things to go wrong.

47. Donzah

Yeah. It's true. Thredbo has more collision skier to skier injuries than Perisher.
    They are also higher grade of injuries.

48. skifree

Is that medical centre stats or ski patrol stats or a guess?

49. Donzah

Hospital...

skifree likes this.
  50. LDJ

Definitely my preference when the snow is on but I do love an awesome pisted European or Canadian Red/black that follow natural fall line of the mountain and drops over 1000 vertical meters.