1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Skifree with Jen in the Thredbo Sidecountry

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by telecrag, Aug 27, 2019.

1. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well actually, @skifree avoided my lens fastidiously. I did bag him a couple of times. But Jen had the day off, and wanted some erstwhile companions to go and play, and she was of a mind to let loose, ski free, as it were.

Jen and I hatched a plan, to the strains of Jock on Sunday night. Monday dawned a bit overcast, but we knew it would burn off. I wanted a ski first (spring like groomers are yum) I did a few laps, went and swapped poles, grabbed the camera, a puffy, some water, and a croissant for safety. @skifree had asked what I was up to, so I asked him along, advising that it may be a bit weird (that would be me), bit full on, and a lot of fun.

We headed into the mysterious Ramshead area, a three day hike for some, we made short work of it, and even had some fun in the mixed surface.

Then Jen was convinced that it would be fun to do a rime line. @skifree went up with her, while I headed up the hill opposite to take a few pics. It sounded horrible! @skifree went down the other side, which was probably quite nice?

Having survived that, why don't we go and play with a cornice?

One aspect was doing that tinkly corn sluff thing, we took a few cruisey turns here and there.

Time to head back, and drop some lines on the way. Jen wanted to ramp it up. We skied down to scope lines from the bottom, while @skifree went up around the back. We saw a sick line, Jen and I both agree that it is go, based on our day to day interactions with the surface, and experienced observation. I think I was more confident than her, but the camera man always lives doesn't he? She booted up.

She got to the top, and asked me for verification on the entry point, bloody hard to tell from her vantage point at the time! She did a couple of testers, which promptly sluffed all the way down as we expected, then smashed it, so cool! I love steep, and I love stuff runs, but that line is just slightly above my pay grade, close, but respect from me on that line. So stoked!

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Top was icey crunchly muck, only needed two turns to set up to get round the other side, so I probably wasted the opportunity to wring the better turns out of that pile of rocks. Lots of knee into chin slamming while straight lining to get around that pile, yet again.:rolleyes:

LMB, piolet, Kletterer and 5 others like this.
  3. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That line to the right between the 2 tallest Tors needs to be done.

zac150, telecrag and Spiersy like this.
  4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, IMO Jen did the second gnarliest line there, but I don't think that line was go that day. Anyone notice a couple of red flags in general?

crackson and skifree like this.
  5. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeh, I zoomed in on it.

telecrag likes this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Off you go then.
    That’s a no from me.

Nice pics as always @telecrag

crackson, nezumi and telecrag like this.
  7. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure when i can get out there but definitely have a hankering for that line.

skifree and telecrag like this.
  8. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Yep...

[​IMG]

There's one.

There's the other :p

9. db2567

db2567 One of Us

Thank you for these wonderful pictures.
    They are probably the best I've seen all season.

telecrag likes this.