1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Skiing between the slopes in Niseko

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Boston_ILLEGAL, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Boston_ILLEGAL

Boston_ILLEGAL First Runs

Hi guys, I'm an intermediate level skiier who can do groomed blacks cautiously. Just wondering if I would be able to cross between Annupuri and Niseko village comfortably from the top? I've done Hanazono - Hirafu - Niseko Village comfortably as they connect at a lower spot on the mountain. But was wondering about Annupuri to Niseko Village. The official trail map doesn't seem very definitive. The route between the resorts from the top lift chairs - would they generally be groomed or ungroomed? Thanks alot, don't want to get up there and find myself out of my depth haha

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Generally ungroomed but IIRC there is a groomed path down from the lift. It’s cat track width. I haven’t used the groomer from there in a decade so I’m working on my memory of surroundings. But my first time as a low intermediate snowboarder 12 or 13 years ago I made it back ok.

I highly recommend booking yourself a ski lesson and telling them your goal for the day is to traverse to Annupuri and back under instruction. You’ll get support, they’ll tell you if they think you can’t handle it, and get a lesson. It’s a huge win.

Any likes this.
  3. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Racist thread topic is racist.

:cry:

coolair, Nozawaman, Pink and 5 others like this.
  4. Any

Any One of Us

yeah theres a green level cat width run that zigzags then splits and goes to either Annupuri or Niseko village. to be honest, a skinny track with out of control beginners that could suddenly crash into me makes it a scarier run than black runs or the off piste :p
    the ungroomed on that part of the mountain is usually windblown firm choppy not quite mogully snow. less steep but as technical as any black run that youve probably ever done, but I suspect you'd be able to ski it tho. if you try this off piste and dont like it, its ok, i hate it too. its just a means to an end.
    a third option is to traverse your ass off, go all the way across to the ungroomed section over to the piste that goes all the way up in Hirafu. Ive done this before many times too.

edit: checked the map and its red. probably only red because its skinny, not because its steep or lumpy or etc.

Hyst, Ozgirl and LMB like this.
  5. blutek

blutek One of Us

had an unexpected cartwheel onto head, last Feb coming down wonderland (snorkle). I'm blaming the short rental board.

#5 blutek, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Any likes this.
  6. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I assume there is decent directional signage at the top when attempting to go from one to the other?

LMB likes this.
  7. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It’s surprisingly short. No problem on a clear day, when the visibility is limited you traverse by feel, very cautiously, and orient yourself by looking for the top Ace lift which you traverse under.

LMB and Hyst like this.
  8. Any

Any One of Us

Found this on google maps. Its a bit corrupted because of the panorama, but you get the idea of what the signs on this trail look like.
    The trail that the photographer is standing on is the one we're talking about, this is a pic of where it starts in Niseko Village. You can see that it's not steep, but it is quite skinny.
    You can see how close the lifts are together near the top. That building covered in ice is Annupuri's jumbo pair 4. So moving from resort to resort up this high is only the matter of a few meters.
    You can see 8 people in the distance taking the trail downhill. They're at the merge point from the Annupuri side, they could have come from Annupuri's Jumbo Pair #4 for all we know (directly above them)
    From the point they are standing at you could just go right to Annupuri on a reasonably easy wide open smooth black run. Or later on in the trail there's another point where it splits and makes a pretty flat easier run back over to Annupuri if you didn't want to do the blak.
    jpeg compression has made it difficult, but Ive marked in red roughly where the trail goes goes. You can see it zig zag down the mountain, almost completely in Niseko Village's slice of the mountain.
    The last pitch (which is already inside Niseko Village) is a steep red, but you can take a dog leg green route off to the left instead if you like.

Hyst, Sbooker and LMB like this.
  9. Pink

Pink One of Us

Now now, the OP’s just looking for a route. o_O

Snow Blowey, LMB and skifree like this.
  10. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There's a joke in there

11. LMB

Ha!
    What’s with the dude walking carrying his skis under your red Jumbo Pair 4? Danger dude. Put your skis on!

12. Any

Any One of Us

i think he's standing in front of someone. adjusting their goggles or something.
    mr google
    its right in the exit offramp of the chair too. i hope its an instructor. i love to yell at instructors doing stupid things.

LMB and Hyst like this.
  13. Boston_ILLEGAL

Boston_ILLEGAL First Runs

Thanks so much man, this is super helpful!! Yeah I'm better with steeps than moguls or bumpy terrain. Haven't got the hang of that yet.

14. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Is it just me, or has no one actually answered the OP's question? He specifically asks about getting from Annapuri to Niseko Village. Everyone is giving advice starting from the top of wonderland (Niseko Village) and getting to Annapuri....

It's been a few years but my recollection is that FROM Annapuri (top of Jumbo 4) it is a relatively easy run from the top of the Jumbo 4 lift to link in with the runs under the Wonderland lift. It is ungroomed but I don't recall it being overly difficult to traverse - and is not a large distance as that photo shows.

EDIT: it was just me, the commentary above Any's photo gives the info. :whistle::whistle::oops::oops:

I'll include a photo of my own to show the run (taken from wonderland). Heaps of options to get from Jumbo 4 across to the bottom of Wonderland and clearly shows a groomed red i'd forgotten about that takes you all the way.

Any likes this.
  15. Libelle

Libelle Hard Yards

Easy on a clear day, all the lifts converge close together at the top of the mountain, as olgreg said, can be a bit difficult in the fog. Attached pic shows the lift network (may have to squint) at the top

Attached Files:

16. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My wife , who is a very timid strong beginner on a snowboard had no issues traversing from Annapuri to either Higashiyama or Hirafu. Also in reverse .

17. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Updated:

18. LMB

And you definitely want to be staying clear of that closed area.

Hyst likes this.
  19. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

People with more experience than I will ever have, have died in there.

Hyst and LMB like this.
  20. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Still think about his wife and child. :(
    (Glad to see "give a little" :thumbs:)

LMB and Paradox like this.