Skiing/boarding in Finland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by adsman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. adsman

adsman Hard Yards

My wife wants to plan a trip to see the aurora borealis in Finland in 2019. I see there are a few resorts in the north.

Just wondering if anyone has made the trek to check them out?

2. piolet

piolet Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Do you like XC?

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I know a few people who have gone to Levi in the last 2 years.

They both had an amazing time.

4. Jani Makaraiinen

Jani Makaraiinen Early Days

hei ystäväni toivotan sinut tervetulleeksi Suomeen. (Hello my friend I welcome you to Finland)

Finland has over 100 different resorts , mostly in the north or Lapland. Mostly each resort area is primarily concerned with XC skiing , really the downhill is mostly to attract the tourist dollar. In the main the resort areas are quite small to medium for the downhill component with many having very large well functioning XC areas.
    For your purpose of downhill/snowboarding Levi is very popular with 27 lifts but is mainly beginner/ intermediate in terrain. My personal pick however is Yllas ( pronounced u-las ) which has the longest lift ( vm) in Finland with the overall terrain being a little better for the inter/advanced person. I myself shall be in Finland for Christmas till the end of January during which time I will go to both Levi and Yllas ( amongst others). However you will find the skiing strange , the snow is almost perfect but the most strange for you will be the lack of altitude. Skiing at basically sea level many visitors find this disconcerting because they only think of skiing in mountain areas. Remember also it may be much colder than anything you have experienced elsewhere. It is not always super cold but it can be sometimes ( super cold = temps below -30c).
    Please do yourself a huge favour and go to Finland , it is truly a wonder , such beauty in the north. The northern lights are just 1 feature you will find there , I think some of the northern forests are the most beautiful in the world.

If you go to Finland enjoy it , I always do.

skifree, tele-whippet, malas1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jani Makaraiinen

A small appetiser

SuskiQ, piolet, Hyst and 2 others like this.
  6. Jani Makaraiinen

My wife has pointed out ( very good at pointing out are the Germans) upon reading my post above that I had neglected another difference that can be disconcerting for the novice , well it was for her the first time she went to Finland. The light is somewhat muted in comparison to Australia and the days are much , much shorter. Never fear however most of the major resorts are well illuminated even on the 100's of kms of XC tracks.

malas1 likes this.