Skiing in China

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by ausbob, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ausbob

ausbob Hard Yards

Hi all, has anyone been to any ski slopes in China.
    Cheers

2. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again
    Ski Pass: Gold

Lived there six years but only skied once because it was less hassle just to jump onto a plane to Tokyo rather than Harbin.

Had friends who did more regularly and they said the problems were, 1) the snow wasn't that great, 2) it was freezing - something like minus 30 - and they were sitting on an open chairlift, 3) the locals ski like they drive - without much thought or control.

I understand that things are improving infrastructure wise with people like Club Med getting in on the act. However with better quality snow in Korea or Japan I think you would ski China more for the novelty of it.

3. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

what is snow quality like in korea?

4. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local

#4 Zeroz, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  5. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again

Shouldn't that be "I'm thinking of going to China to ski but usually won't end up actually doing it because I find out it's crap" thread?

Haven't skied Korea wc but have heard mostly good reports and it's on the 'to do' list.

6. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

I remember chatting to a couple of Norwegian guys who were living in Korea on the Gondola at Niseko a few years ago. They said much the same thing about skiing in Korea as the comments above about China. All up it was just easier to get on a plane to Japan.

7. ausbob

ausbob Hard Yards

Thanks, the funny thing is I did a search on China and didn't find anything. I obviously didn't look hard enough

8. randomcn

randomcn First Runs

Just recently got back from China. Skied at called 'Beidahu Ski Resort' in Jilin Province. Aparently there are only 3 places worth going to in China 1) Yabuli 2) Beidahu and 3) Changbai Mountain

Was quite cheap but the ski conditions are very variable (much like Aus) and it was cold -20 Deg C.

Anyways I'll post some links to some Chinese youtube clips of the 3 'black runs' at this resort below to give an idea of what its like:

No 12 Run
    http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B9%9612%E5%8F%B7%E9%81%93

No 9 Run
    http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B9%969%E5%8F%B7%E9%81%93

No 2 Run
    http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_%E5%8C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%B9%962%E5%8F%B7%E9%81%93

#8 randomcn, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  9. bigdamo

bigdamo Hard Yards

Lived and skied in Xinjiang , China . I have skied in a number of countries around the world and by far the best powder skiing is in Xinjiang. The fronts come from Siberia cross the Gobi (dries it right out) and dumps on the Tian Shan mountain range. You won't see any snowman built or kids having snow ball fights because the snow is that light and dry that if you pick up a handful and compress it you might be lucky to get a pea size snowball and it stays like that for a month or until the next dump comes.. They have ski resorts there but back country is the way to go big mountains 3000mtrs to 5000mtr means you can ski year round . Check out Muztagh Ata if you want to ski the longest run in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muztagh_Ata

10. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local

Looking at the Russian backcountry post last week there must be some decent skiing in China given they share a lot of Mountain ranges

11. bigdamo

bigdamo Hard Yards

While living in Xinjiang I was invited(the Russians come over to Xinjiang to do white water rafting , back country skiing and mountaineering in Xinjiang) to go just over the border into Russia(Altai mountains) to do four days of cat skiing.Xinjiang has many mountain ranges in it.Altai and Tian shan are just a couple of them.Beware it's cold dam cold and if you stuff up no ones coming to get you out well not within a week or two and then it is just a recovery.

12. bigdamo

bigdamo Hard Yards

[​IMG] A couple of photos of Xinjiang [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#12 bigdamo, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. Fmr_Mr_Eski

Fmr_Mr_Eski Hard Yards

Not to mention Xinjiang is awesome, especially the area around Hotan/Yarkand

14. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?

Looks sweet but xinjiang isnt exactly just up the road from Beijing!
    Would love to go

15. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local

Exactly. Beijing to Xinjiang is about 3000 km. Which is about the same as Melbourne to Cairns. A 3-day drive at best.
    Xinjiang skiing is basically Kashmir/Kyrgyzstan and the Himalayas.

My mantra from the last 10 years is the same. Some day China will have great skiing.
    But it won't be the resorts around Beijing or in Har bin. They are too flat and too dry. And crap. The Himalaya's however...

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/snow-in-china.2913
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/snowboarding-in-china.34112

Mister Tee on XC Skis and piolet like this.
  16. Fmr_Mr_Eski

Fmr_Mr_Eski Hard Yards

Except you will get there in a few hours by HSR.

17. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?

Is it in place? How close does it get you?

18. Fmr_Mr_Eski

Fmr_Mr_Eski Hard Yards

Just saying that every second week a new high speed rail line opens up in China.

19. bigdamo

bigdamo Hard Yards

3 hour flight Urumqi- Beijing that ski resort is about 45 minutes from Urumqi(depending if the snow is dumping then the road may close till they put the plough through) High speed rail to Beijing- Urumqi is not that far away I'm told 12hour trip take the night train. Skiing in Xinjiang is every where Start down Hami work your way up to Urumqi continue all the way through to Kazakhstan try up in the Altai mountains up around Kanas then try down south on the border of Tibet. China has great skiing now.Big mountains big powder.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

You mean the Chinese Pamir and the Kunlun Shan , don't you?

21. Pau1

Pau1 First Runs

Hi

Just came back from skiing at Yabuli in Northern China and I can say that all up it was great. Although we did strike gold with regards to the weather. In the days preceding our visit it was freezing with minimums of below -20 degrees but for the three days we were there it reached maximum temperature of about -3 making it feel hot at times with all the clothes I was wearing. It even seemed like the snow was softening in the afternoon. There was no wind but the weather was dry with no natural snow to speak of so all the snow was man made.

First the good

We stayed at the Club Med at Yabuli and was really satisfied with the whole experience great food and plenty of things to keep you entertained even if you don’t want to ski.

Club med had plenty of ski instructors that can speak English with instructors from countries like Chile, France, England and Australia. Now the best thing was that if you were not a beginner you only had 2 or 3 people in a class. In fact for both my afternoon classes I was the only one in the class! I improved my skiing greatly and was confidently skiing blue runs something I wasn’t doing in Australia last year.

Now the not so good.

The ski slope was icy in places and from what the ski instructors told me if it’s windy the snow blows away and it exposes icy patches. It seems they put down a layer of ice then put snow on top but most of the snow was dry and hard packed and good to ski on.

Although the ski lift ticket is included in the Club med stay the ski equipment isn’t so be prepared to pay dearly ($60AUD/day) for skis with no discount for longer rental periods.

I was told that it gets super busy at Christmas and Chinese holidays so keep that in mind if you want to book.

Overall I would recommend skiing at Yabuli if you are in the area and with a new high speed train from Harbin it’s now more convenient than ever.

Budgiesmuggler and piolet like this.