Skiing in Georgia - not USA

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by krobbo, Nov 18, 2015.

1. krobbo

krobbo Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Hi all

I am based in Tbilisi with MSF for 2 years and a few of us expats are keen skiers. Have any of you skied in Georgia at all?

thanks

2. Timmossy

Timmossy Hard Yards

gmanpadre and webberchoked like this.
  3. krobbo

krobbo Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

JoeKing likes this.
  4. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

havent skied there yet, but its definitely one of my next destinations.
    svaneti looks incredible

5. buckwheat

buckwheat Hard Yards

Yep was there a few years back. Gudauri seems to get a good write up and its definitely modern, but we found it a pretty flat resort, with only one tiny steep bit to maintain interest. Having said that, the mountains are beautiful, and a drive up to Kazbegi is def worth it. Plus they sell dried fish at the bottom of the chairlifts, exactly what you feel like after a day on the hill. The other resort area is Bakuriani, the infrastructure of which is a completely busted-ass rusting pile of ex-soviet era pus, but probably exactly the sort of thing you're looking for if you want cultural interest. The mountain is actually reasonably interesting terrain wise, maybe more so than Gudauri, but we had poor snow. Plus each lift seemed to belong to a different lift company so changing runs got weirdly tricky.

Either way, if you're in Tiflis, its easy to go, so go to both when the conditions are good. And when you come back, you gotta go to the Abanotunabi steam baths. Nothing like a good rub down from a 6'5" man called Giorgi.

Enjoy the kinkhali and katchapuri!

gmanpadre likes this.
  6. krobbo

krobbo Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Thanks for the input - we have booked to go to Goderdzi and Gudauri later in January with friends visiting from OZ. We were at Gudauri for christmas but there was not much snow. Work colleagues here went to Bakuriani but were not that impressed so we are not in a hurry to go there.

7. zarik

zarik Early Days

I was talking to my dad and apparently he went to ski at Mt Kazbek back in the 70s. He was beginner then, joined soviet ski camp, almost died hehe

Anyone been in that area? What time is good to go, any other info?