Skiing in Pakistan. Feb. 2023?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
In 2023 I am looking at a stopover in Pak. to visit relatives en route from skiing in Canada and the EU.

I get stir crazy sitting in my stepma's flat after one day. I can say A.S.A.K. to her, and then go skiing for a week in Pak. !!
I am looking at the options.

Has anyone been skiing in Pak. ?

It is a beautiful country with hospitable people .

Reactions: piolet and malas1

malas1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 1, 2015
Would love to, no skiing myself but couple of cycling trips, a place in Swat I heard about looked alright. Deosai plateau is one I want to do, mate is trying to organise a trek in the shyok valley next year

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yeah we're trying to organise a trip for 2023 too, bit of a trekking/ ski combo, maybe some light mountaineering. Very hoping it comes off! Scenery is nek level.
think the new Pearl Continental Hotel in Mallam Jabba is run by the PTDC.{Pak. tourism development corp.).
It looks very pricey for Pak..Things should be cheaper in Pak. !

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
think the new Pearl Continental Hotel in Mallam Jabba is run by the PTDC.{Pak. tourism development corp.).
It looks very pricey for Pak..Things should be cheaper in Pak. !

Yeah we're looking at more the Skardu / askole area, presuming things will be cheaper that way. I usually avoid all 5 star hotels, rather soulless usually.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mallum Jabaa is near Saidu Sharif/Mingora. That area has much in the way of ancient Buddhist and Hindu sites of antiquity.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
At Malam Jabba they have a proper European Grooming machine too. The Resort is owned and was built by an Austrian firm.

However in typical Pakistani style, my research thus far has revealed that the only chair lift at Malam Jabba broke down 3 months ago( as of Dec. 2021 )
and it still has not been fixed.
Pakistan has a track record with this kind of stuff. The Tourist railway through the Khyber Pass is said to be a great experience. My Brother went and did it . BUT.... yes you guessed it: The rubber band holding it all together broke and it was never fixed and remains on hold until the needful repairs are carried out. This was well over ten years ago!.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
"

Closure of chairlift in Malam Jabba disappoints tourists

The Newspaper's CorrespondentPublished January 3, 2022

SWAT: The tourists visiting Malam Jabba said here on Sunday they were disappointed by the closure of chairlift, skiing and other facilities in the ski resort.
They said that they visited Malam Jabba to enjoy rides in the chairlift and zipline and watch skiing but became disappointed when they found the ski resort closed.
“Every winter we visit Malam Jabba to enjoy the chairlift ride on the white snow and the scenes around. Last year, we enjoyed the zipline ride too but this year not only the chairlift is not functional but the zipline has been closed too,” said Rashid Khan, a tourist from Rawalpindi.
The tourists said that although they enjoyed snow in Malam Jabba yet they were deprived of the real fun to ski and skate...
Some tourists said that every year Malam Jabba Ski Resort hosted national and international ski championships but this year there was no sign of skiing in the ski resort.

The spokesman for the ski resort, when contacted, said that all the entertainment activities in the resort were closed four months ago after some people, in presence of policemen, attacked the security officials of the resort and broke the entry checkpost.

“We will not open the entertainment activities and machinery until the district administration resolves the security issue of our resort and staff on a permanent basis,” he said.

Deputy Commissioner Junaid Khan did not respond to the telephone calls and messages by this scribe to get his version.
"

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

Naltar ski resort​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Naltar ski resort
240px-Naltar_Slopy_Lands.jpg

A ski slope in Naltar ski resort
240px-Gilgit_Baltistan_Location_Map.svg.png

Naltar ski resort

Naltar ski resort
Location within Gilgit Baltistan
Show map of Gilgit BaltistanShow map of PakistanShow all
LocationNaltar, Pakistan
Nearest major cityGilgit
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
36°09′55″N 74°10′42″E
Top elevation2,950 metres (9,680 ft)
Base elevation2,870 metres (9,420 ft)
Skiable area
Lift capacity1
Naltar ski resort (Urdu: نلتر سکی سیرگاہ) is a ski resort situated in the Karakoram range of the Naltar Valley in Gilgit-Baltistan province, Pakistan at a top elevation of 2,950 metres (9,680 ft).[1][2] The resort is located, 40 kilometers northwest of Gilgit. It also serves as the main facility for the Ski Federation of Pakistan and the Pakistan National Ski Championship.[3] It also hosted the 2016 Karakoram Alpine Ski Cup.[4]

Facilities[edit]​

Naltar is the oldest ski resort in Pakistan,[5] however is relatively less known and less developed than Malam Jabba ski resort. The major obstacle to Naltar’s development has been the dilapidated condition of the road leading from Gilgit to Naltar. As things stand, the one-hour journey to Naltar is near impossible unless ski enthusiasts travel there by 4 wheel jeep.[3] In 2015, a chairlift was constructed[6] and work on rebuilding the Gilgit-Naltar Road has been proposed.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Not far from Pakistan is Tajikistan, a Persian speaking country with the third highest average terrain on Earth and piles of snow in winter....

Keep in mind that you will have to fly from Pak. to Dubai to change planes to get a direct flight to Dushanbe in Tajikstan.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass