Skiing In The Times Of Corona

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Nice video Nozawaman!

One of the biggest things this season for me is how relaxed it is. No angst or BS in lift lines etc including Cortina which is still seeing quite a few folks on the good days. I've been letting people slide in front of me in the lift lines to join friends and vice versa, been more than happy to let friends drop before me all morning and just ride last, happily wait at the bottom of runs/lifts for friends etc having watched them get great lines. Even stopped being pissed off when lifts are late (well almost completly ;) ) Have also been able to ride with folks that are normally really busy and dont get out to March in a normal season which is a real bonus as they are super stoked.

In a normal season we would generally all just be lapping and keeping an eye on each other from the lifts etc as we all would have a small window before having to head back to our work etc. This year that pressure is gone as we dont have guests and didnt open the Gallery. This has also opened up more chances for day trips and have had probably my best day's riding ever this week. The riding is so much more enjoyable.

Whilst C19 has been very poor for our business, something we started prepping for in April last year so we are OK, this season is chilled and relaxed (except for the odd moment), kinda scared how we will go back to normality next season. :)

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
DSC00054.JPG

DSC00072b.jpg

DSC00078.JPG

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Nice video Nozawaman!
Very!
Thanks for sharing for the snow deprived!

One of the biggest things this season for me is how relaxed it is. No angst or BS in lift lines etc including Cortina which is still seeing quite a few folks on the good days. I've been letting people slide in front of me in the lift lines to join friends and vice versa, been more than happy to let friends drop before me all morning and just ride last, happily wait at the bottom of runs/lifts for friends etc having watched them get great lines. Even stopped being pissed off when lifts are late (well almost completly ;) ) Have also been able to ride with folks that are normally really busy and dont get out to March in a normal season which is a real bonus as they are super stoked.

In a normal season we would generally all just be lapping and keeping an eye on each other from the lifts etc as we all would have a small window before having to head back to our work etc. This year that pressure is gone as we dont have guests and didnt open the Gallery. This has also opened up more chances for day trips and have had probably my best day's riding ever this week. The riding is so much more enjoyable.

Whilst C19 has been very poor for our business, something we started prepping for in April last year so we are OK, this season is chilled and relaxed (except for the odd moment)
Thanks for sharing. The good and the bad eh?
I think we’ve all had a bit of that.

, kinda scared how we will go back to normality next season. :)
Picked up a mate who runs a private ski school/guiding company in Hirafu yesterday. He’s got a job out of WA -FIFO. He said he’s hoping for next season, but not counting on it. That shocked me. But like he said ... maybe travel will re-begin and the diehards will go back. But he’s skeptics that there will be big travel by groups and families who would make his business viable next season. Reckons it will take until season 22/23 for it to be back to sustainable :(
I sure hope he is wrong.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bengarden

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 24, 2014
Whilst C19 has been very poor for our business, something we started prepping for in April last year so we are OK, this season is chilled and relaxed (except for the odd moment), kinda scared how we will go back to normality next season. :)

Sorry to say that next season will not be normal. There's no way Australia is getting on planes and booking for next season when they won't even open borders here this year........Pissed is an understatement. Gotta survive on crap Australian snow when you can't get to the powder.

Reactions: pat crowley

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Sorry to say that next season will not be normal. There's no way Australia is getting on planes and booking for next season when they won't even open borders here this year........Pissed is an understatement. Gotta survive on crap Australian snow when you can't get to the powder.
I’d say North America and Europe are probably a write off but I hold out hope that borders maybe open to selected countries by then.

Or we could still not be able to travel to NZ by next Christmas. Anything is possible.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I think we will be lucky to go to NZ or anything in the pacfic in the next 12mths.

Nth hemi ski season not on at all next year.

Hoping I am worng!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I think we will be lucky to go to NZ or anything in the pacfic in the next 12mths.

Nth hemi ski season not on at all next year.

Hoping I am worng!
Sweet mother of Ullr!!
I hope you’re wrong too.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Picked up a mate who runs a private ski school/guiding company in Hirafu yesterday. He’s got a job out of WA -FIFO. He said he’s hoping for next season, but not counting on it. That shocked me. But like he said ... maybe travel will re-begin and the diehards will go back. But he’s skeptics that there will be big travel by groups and families who would make his business viable next season. Reckons it will take until season 22/23 for it to be back to sustainable :(
I sure hope he is wrong.
I'll be surprised if he is wrong.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
You'll only be redeemed by posting more pics.

Forecast here is

Forecast for the rest of Monday
Summary

Max 37
Sunny.
Chance of any rain: 0%

Canberra area

Mostly sunny. Light winds.

Fire Danger - High

Sun protection recommended from 8:50 am to 5:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass