Advice needed Skiing Iran

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Sydlouise, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Active Member

Hi all, I had a search through the threads and see a few people have given advice on the best sightseeing in Iran but not much specific to the ski resorts. I'm booked in for March next year (after a false start this year) and trying to decide how to apportion my time to the different resorts I want to go to. Tochal, Shemshak and Dizin.

From what I gather Dizin is easily the biggest, best snow and should probably base myself there longest but I read the runs are more advanced at Shemshak and Dizin might get boring. Also lower altitude at Tochal/Shemshak so it might be better to start there then move to Dizin since I'm a weak sea level creature.

And an unrelated question, my partner and I have no issues with visas (Aussie and Kiwi) but we've got a friend who wants to come, with Aus citizenship, accent and passport but dual US citizen and noted as born in US in his passport. I know he can get a visa using his Aus passport but wondering if him being born in the US is likely to cause practical issues while we're there. My Aussie friend who lived there a couple of years has given us the rundown on the religious police following you everywhere (until you get to the mountains) and I'm not keen to draw any attention, noting some of the bizarre things she got arrested for.

2. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

PM Buckwheat . If anyone has been there, he is the one .

3. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

4. buckwheat

buckwheat Active Member

Hey Sydlouise, yep have been there,and stoked you're going, you'll love it! My rambling observations on skiing in Iran, in no particular order, are:
    1. Lift tickets are ridiculously cheap (can't remember exactly, but it would have been less than $10)
    2. When I went there, Shemshak was shut (it was being sold or something) so my only experience was Dizin
    3. Dizin was definitely fun for a day, could maybe spend a few there - snow was plentiful and great quality
    4. Despite the cheap skiing, accom there was upmarket only, and transport from Tehran for day trips was a bit convoluted and exy
    5. Iran was such a mind blowing country that I didn;t want to get bogged down in just skiing, I was desperate to see as much of it as I could in the 3 weeks I had on my visa - so I shelved my ski plans, travelled heaps and didn't regret it - Shiraz, Yazd, Esfehan, Masuleh, Abyaneh, Kashan, Kermanshah, Khandovan - travel is stupidly cheap - at the time a 2hr flight from Tehran to Shiraz cost $30.
    6. In 3 weeks there (as a tourist) I didn;t see any religious police, all I had was the most amazing kindness and generosity of complete strangers. I felt completely safe the entire time - of course your friend, in living there, may have generated weird interest for some obscure reason. However every traveller I have ever met who has been to Iran has had the same experience as me.
    7. As for US visas - I did meet an American while there, and my Canadian friend was refused a visa, but I can't comment on the latest situation.

Hope that helps?

Sydlouise likes this.
  5. buckwheat

buckwheat Active Member

Here's a few random pics: pics

dibl0c and crackson like this.
  6. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Active Member

@buckwheat thanks for those amazing photos! Definitely getting me more excited about my trip.
    It's going to be a really hard decision how much sightseeing vs skiing to do. I think I'll front end the skiing then if I just love it so much I can stay put but if I get bored or bad weather sets in I can do more touristing. If I can get away with pulling out my speed wing I'll want to stay much longer since that treeless terrain looks like a dream!

Costs have gone up a lot a day lift ticket is about AUD46 now at Dizin, the other resorts half or less. They have opened a small hostel at Dizin too last year ($25 AUD for a dorm bed) so a bit more choice which is good as the cost of the hotels at the base has gone up lots as well, double rooms are $100AUD a night. So still affordable but would have been great to get in 5 years ago.

I suppose that makes sense about my friend, choosing to live in the desert for a couple of years may look more suspicious than just being a typical 2-3 week tourist seeing the main sights. Mainly it seems they wanted to satisfy themselves she wasn't a journalist.