1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Poll Skiing Knee Pain Survey - University Research

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Jason Cornell, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Jason Cornell

Jason Cornell First Runs

Hey guys,
    My name is Jason, I'm a student at San Diego State University. I'm working on developing a new knee brace designed specifically for ski and snowboarding that uses a compressed air system to absorb weight and take pressure off of the knee and quads. I am trying to talk to as many winter athletes as possible before prototyping to best understand the problems that people experience related to lower extremity pain and fatigue.

Would you mind talking to me for 5-10 minutes about your experience? If you want to help, my email is freebodyjointenhancers@gmail.com and my number is (925) 285-9253. Contact me through whichever you are more comfortable with.
    If you don't want to talk but are interested in contributing to this project, here is a survey that asks questions about any pain you may feel and the measures you've taken to treat/prevent it.

Thank you if you decide to help,
    Jason

summit_32 likes this.
  2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I've just been looking at your survey questions and I think it looks like you don't ski.

Not every skier experiences knee pain, but every skier experiences muscle(quad) fatigue, which is a consequence of participating in a very physical sport.
    This question "Do you ever experience knee pain or muscle fatigue while skiing/snowboarding? If so, can you describe when and its severity?" will not help your survey, because the answer will be "Yes". This will not help you define what percentage of skiers have knee pain, which is more relevant to your research. (and to skiers)

While compression tights can reduce fatigue in the lower leg, I don't quite see how a knee brace can reduce normal quad fatigue which is a normal part of your muscles working that hard while skiing.

nfip, MickM and schneeschleicher like this.
  4. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Five years ago, I started experimenting with added upper body movements to my ski technique, which came naturally after a love affair with hard boot alpine snowboarding from it's earliest years.
    That style is now very much in use whenever I ski, usually all day.
    I did not realize how much I now DEPEND on it until I recently spent a day making a demo movie, skiing half the time with the "correct" style.
    OMG ! I could hardly walk for the next two days.
    Sadly, a harsh reality check on how my telomeres are shortening.
    Hopefully, your survey will have accurate age reporting..

5. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

* "What is your name ? "
    We aren't gonna get some targetted advertising, are we ?
    You won't mind if I answer the survey from the local library, then ?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

No privacy statement. No statement on data storage or reciprocity.

So it's not consistent with the Australian ethical code for human research.

sara777 likes this.