1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Skiing other resorts around Furano

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ejayAD, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ejayAD

ejayAD First Runs

Hoping for some advice of a good way to ski some days at resorts near Furano (for example Kamui and Tomamu) other than driving.

We are booked for six nights in Furano and want to spend three or four days skiing there. It would be great to try some other local hills too. I am however unwilling to pay 30,000-50,000 Yen for six days' car hire when it won't be used most days; instead will plan to book a bus transfer between Asihikawa airport to get to and from Furano.

I see on Powderhounds there are scheduled buses one day a week between Furano-Tomamu and Furano-Kamui, although at awkward times and once a week. Are there other good ways to travel between the resorts for single days' skiing? Or is the best bet really to just spend the money and get a car rental for the week?

Thanks for any help.

2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

How about Sahoro?

BoofHead likes this.
  3. d15812

d15812 Guest

The direct transfers are as you describe although there is public transport available that would allow you to choose your days but require a bit more work on your behalf and take longer.

You can catch either the train or Lavender-Go bus from Furano to Asahikawa (approx JPY1,100) and then a bus or taxi to Kamui (cost ??). It's going to take you approx 2 - 2.5 hours each way by the time you get from your accomodation down to the train station or bus stop.

You could get a rental car for a single day. I'm not sure how many of you there are but a compact car from Toyota for 24 hours is approx JPY7,000 and you should be able to get roof racks for it.

The Toyota office is down by the train station and the winter hours are 8:00 - 18:00 so I would be inclined to pick the car up the previous night and have it back by 17:30.

https://rent.toyota.co.jp/eng/index.aspx

4. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I enjoyed my few days at Sahoro but is a bit tricky to get to without a car or the high cost of a private transfer/taxi. There is a JR Furano train/bus that leaves around 7am. Costs 1070yen. I dont have the return schedule but I’ve posted the departure schedule in the Furano and surrounds thread.
    Best thing about Sahoro is that the vast majority of sliders are Club Med folk contained within their ski school groups and the rest are locals who tend to remain on trail. Very few of the Club Med instructors will take their groups off piste except for skiers right off the gondola but not in the tighter trees. MissBoof was told that only 2 instructors who take the level 6 group will explore tighter trees.
    I’ll be returning at some point down the track.
    Cheers

#4 BoofHead, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    ejayAD and Ramenman like this.
  5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

This is solid advice.

6. ejayAD

ejayAD First Runs

Thanks all, a great help

I hadn't considered the option of just renting a car for a day or two from Furano, that could be a good option, thanks Spaceman.

Sahoro looks like a good resort, and near enough to Furano if we do get a car.

Much appreciated!